Home-Made IEMs
Mar 1, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #3,332 of 15,989

LOL...
Because of allergy problems, now nail art product are made of cyano.

...100$ of resin !... high end CIEMS costs 1000$ and you can reshell and modify them free.

I've used Cyanoacrylate for the past 3 decades (building radio-controlled model aircraft), but it's interesting stuff, with a surprising variety of applications:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2187/was-super-glue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam

Medical

CA glue was in veterinary use for mending bone, hide, and tortoise shell by the early 1970s or before. Harry Coover said in 1966 that a CA spray was used in the Vietnam War to reduce bleeding in wounded soldiers until they could be brought to a hospital. Butyl cyanoacrylate has been used medically since the 1970s. In the US, due to its potential to irritate the skin, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration did not approve its use as a medical adhesive until 1998 with Dermabond.[9] Research has demonstrated the use of cyanoacrylate in wound closure as being safer and more functional than traditional suturing (stitches).[10] The adhesive has demonstrated superior performance in the time required to close a wound, incidence of infection (suture canals through the skin's epidermal, dermal, and subcutaneous fat layers introduce extra routes of contamination),[10] and final cosmetic appearance.[11][12]
Some rock climbers use cyanoacrylate to repair damage to the skin on their fingertips.[13][14] Glue covered fingertips do not leave fingerprints. Similarly, stringed-instrument players can form protective finger caps (in addition to calluses) with cyanoacrylates. While the glue is not very toxic and wears off quickly with shed skin, applying large quantities of glue and its fumes directly to the skin can cause chemical burns.
While standard "superglue" is 100% ethyl cyanoacrylate, many custom formulations (e.g.,, 91% ECA, 9% poly(methyl methacrylate), <0.5% hydroquinone, and a small amount of organic sulfonic acid[15] and variations on the compound N-butyl-cyanoacrylate's for medical applications[10]) have come to be used for specific applications.

I'm full of admiration for the contributors in this thread who build their own CIEMs.   Keep 'em coming!
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #3,333 of 15,989

I've used Cyanoacrylate for the past 3 decades (building radio-controlled model aircraft), but it's interesting stuff, with a surprising variety of applications:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2187/was-super-glue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam

I'm full of admiration for the contributors in this thread who build their own CIEMs.   Keep 'em coming!
beerchug.gif

The problem is also that all acrylic and cyano resins are highly toxic or corrosive before curing... you should use gloves and with a good air extraction !

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,334 of 15,989

The problem is also that all acrylic and cyano resins are highly toxic or corrosive before curing... you should use gloves and with a good air extraction !

Although cyanoacrylate glues were useful on the battlefield, the FDA was reluctant to approve them for civilian use. In part, this was due to a tendency of the early compounds (made from "methyl-2-cyanoacrylate") to irritate the skin as the glue reacted with water and cured in the skin, releasing cyanoacetate and formaldehyde. A compound called "butyl-2-cyanoacrylate" was developed to reduce toxicity, but suffered from brittleness and cracking a few days after application. Finally an improved cyanoacrylate glue was developed for medical applications called "2-octyl-cyanoacrylate." This compound causes less skin irritation and has improved flexibility and strength--at least three times the strength of the butyl-based compound (reference 2). As a result, in 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions, and in 2001 approved it for use as a "barrier against common bacterial microbes including certain staphylococci, pseudomonads, and Escherichia coli" (reference 2). This latest incarnation was marketed under the name Traumaseal as well as the more popular Dermabond.

I've only ever used standard mass-market cyano - any thoughts on the above? Ever tried medical-grade cyano?

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #3,335 of 15,989
Mar 2, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #3,338 of 15,989
I've been wondering, can you get the westone/jh sockets on mouser?

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #3,340 of 15,989
Hmm I guess mouser doesn't stock them then. It'll be cheaper and easier to get it off mouser than null audio for me.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #3,344 of 15,989
I don't want to use MMCX since all of my upgrade cables are using the 0.78mm pins. It will be too pricey and annoying to change them all to MMCX. I've used some very high quality 0.78mm ones before, but then shipping from China to Hong Kong isn't that cheap too as they have to get past immigration and taxes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back