Home-Made IEMs
Dec 22, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,972 of 16,074
Can anyone tell me a good dynamic driver that I can put a low pass filter on to use as a bass driver in a hybrid iem??

So I just made a hybrid using a Sony MH1C as the mid/woofer with a wbfk as the tweeter. I put a series 10uf ceramic cap and a 100 ohm series resistor with the wbfk. I didn't realize how much I missed the bass of a dynamic. I need to do some more experimenting on the tube design to improve the high frequency response.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2,973 of 16,074
So I just made a hybrid using a Sony MH1C as the mid/woofer with a wbfk as the tweeter. I put a series 10uf ceramic cap and a 100 ohm series resistor with the wbfk. I didn't realize how much I missed the bass of a dynamic. I need to do some more experimenting on the tube design to improve the high frequency response.

Awesome, good to know, I do know the MH1 is pretty awesome so I can understand why you used that driver!

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #2,974 of 16,074
I noticed, the other day, that Lear's BD 4.2 is made with metal sound tubing (copper, apparently), akin to FitEar's TG! 334 (titanium)

I now see that JHA's forthcoming 'Layla' has metal sound tubes, too, so this is evidently becoming a trend amongst commercial acrylic CIEM makers.

I'm guessing this may be in an effort to improve treble extension and subjective treble detail/presence, but that's only a guess.

Whatever the case, I wonder how long it will be before an intrepid soul in this thread ventures into metal sound tube territory?
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #2,975 of 16,074
  I noticed, the other day, that Lear's BD 4.2 is made with metal sound tubing (copper, apparently), akin to FitEar's TG! 334 (titanium)

I now see that JHA's forthcoming 'Layla' has metal sound tubes, too, so this is evidently becoming a trend amongst commercial acrylic CIEM makers.

I'm guessing this may be in an effort to improve treble extension and subjective treble detail/presence, but that's only a guess.

Whatever the case, I wonder how long it will be before an intrepid soul in this thread ventures into metal sound tube territory?
biggrin.gif

FWIW BD4.2 has metal tubes for dynamic drivers and also because they are small diameter they also work as low pass filter, so they do not contribute to highs and in fact do the opposite.

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #2,976 of 16,074
Thanks for the clarification, Peter.

I know you have experimented with using long tubes to modify the bass response in some of your designs (one of the first of which, I recall being that awesome UM Miracle remake you did)

The past half hour, since I posted the above, I've revisited the Lear (*Universal) BD4.2 impressions thread, and noticed a link to Rin's blog, where he remarked:

"...metallic bores have previously been implemented by Suyama of Japan, and such tubes tend to have lower resonance frequency compared to the ones made of materials with lower density. Moreover, they also yield stable high frequency response due to the tube's constant geometry. The same logic may apply here with BD4.2 as well."

Both his viewpoint, and yours, are very informative, albeit in different ways, so thanks
beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #2,977 of 16,074
  Thanks for the clarification, Peter.

I know you have experimented with using long tubes to modify the bass response in some of your designs (one of the first of which, I recall being that awesome UM Miracle remake you did)

The past half hour, since I posted the above, I've revisited the Lear (*Universal) BD4.2 impressions thread, and noticed a link to Rin's blog, where he remarked:

"...metallic bores have previously been implemented by Suyama of Japan, and such tubes tend to have lower resonance frequency compared to the ones made of materials with lower density. Moreover, they also yield stable high frequency response due to the tube's constant geometry. The same logic may apply here with BD4.2 as well."

Both his viewpoint, and yours, are very informative, albeit in different ways, so thanks
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the link it seems like I was wrong:
 ON SECOND THOUGHT #3: As claimed by the manufacturer, all four bores are working independently covering their own frequency ranges. While upper metallic bores are dedicated to mid-range and treble, the bottom ones are woofers, working together to cover the frequency range below 400 Hz.

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #2,978 of 16,074
No worries - your comments were still interesting.

It seems a bit counter-intuitive to me that a smaller diameter bore tubing should act as a low-pass - I would have anticipated it acting more as a high-pass, since LFs require greater airflow, so I learned something today!

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #2,979 of 16,074
The moment I saw the nozzle, I also found the Lear 4.2's usage of metallic tubes (copper? they don't look like aluminium or steel to me, much less titanium) is more of a marketing gimmick than something that actually works. Those tubes should be about 1.5mm in diameter or even smaller, which is more suited as a low pass filter.

Same goes for the La*** and An***

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,980 of 16,074
  No worries - your comments were still interesting.

It seems a bit counter-intuitive to me that a smaller diameter bore tubing should act as a low-pass - I would have anticipated it acting more as a high-pass, since LFs require greater airflow, so I learned something today!

Yup, smaller diameter works as LPF

The moment I saw the nozzle, I also found the Lear 4.2's usage of metallic tubes (copper? they don't look like aluminium or steel to me, much less titanium) is more of a marketing gimmick than something that actually works. Those tubes should be about 1.5mm in diameter or even smaller, which is more suited as a low pass filter.

Same goes for the La*** and An***

I like how you put *** in those names lol.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,981 of 16,074
I used stainless steel tubes in my IEMs that I made, but the nozzle is always too small to put a very big metal tube in :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back