Home-Made IEMs
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #14,926 of 16,068
No, exactly opposite, we are wiring CIs in reversed phase to use TWFK in positive phase and take advantage of the factory wiring.

I think @swtnate could chime in on that, IIRC he did some testing

BTW looks like I just should go and assemble one with pictures for you guys haha
no idea when I would have the time to do it.
thanks @piotrus-g
Thin film resistors are work great in the beginning. However, the ones available for our use have a larger deviation (up to 5-10%) so, I have since switched to using SMD MELF resistors. The tolerance on these are 0.5%-1%.

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #14,927 of 16,068
thanks @piotrus-g
Thin film resistors are work great in the beginning. However, the ones available for our use have a larger deviation (up to 5-10%) so, I have since switched to using SMD MELF resistors. The tolerance on these are 0.5%-1%.
Thin film resistors also add considerably to the THD as well. MELFs will not. They are significantly quieter.

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #14,929 of 16,068
Can someone give me a crash course on how dampers are used? I see a lot of recommendations for which dampers to use for specific builds, but not really a lot of info about WHY those specific dampers are used
For example, if I had a build and had a peak around 3k and 10 k I was trying to smooth out, how would I go about damper selection

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #14,930 of 16,068
Can someone give me a crash course on how dampers are used? I see a lot of recommendations for which dampers to use for specific builds, but not really a lot of info about WHY those specific dampers are used
For example, if I had a build and had a peak around 3k and 10 k I was trying to smooth out, how would I go about damper selection
Yellow
orange
red
green
brown
white
grey

yellow = sub

to

grey = tweeter

the closer to the sound bore the more effect it will have.

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #14,936 of 16,068
How do you approach tubes? I’ve got 5 drivers, but realistically only space for 2-3 tubes in the output
Larger diameter tubes are beneficial for tweeters. Smaller id, longer tubes can act as a low pass for woofers. As for grouping the drivers, just do it in a way that makes sense. For example you should pair drivers up that are close to each other in frequency so that there's no phase difference between them. 2mm id tubes can be stretched over multiple driver nozzles. I highly recommend starting with something simpler like a 2 way configuration. What drivers do you have? Keep in mind that a lot of this is experimentation rather than set rules.

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #14,938 of 16,068
BA driver mounting/securing question... I know these don't function like traditional dynamic drivers, but when playing, do they generate any physical vibration at all, even if very very smalll? When it comes to securing them to the shell, does it make any detectable difference in sound/listening experience if they are secured with a hard attachment like a bit of Fotoplast then cured as opposed to a softer attachment like RTV silicone? I know either way probably wouldn't affect the sound coming out the tube(s), but I would imagine the ear canal is a very sensitive area, so any vibration whatsoever transferred into the shell I would think would be noticeable in some way. And if so it would enhance listening at all or on the other hand create fatigue after a while. Probable overthinking, probably a non-issue, but had to ask.

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #14,939 of 16,068
BA driver mounting/securing question... I know these don't function like traditional dynamic drivers, but when playing, do they generate any physical vibration at all, even if very very smalll? When it comes to securing them to the shell, does it make any detectable difference in sound/listening experience if they are secured with a hard attachment like a bit of Fotoplast then cured as opposed to a softer attachment like RTV silicone? I know either way probably wouldn't affect the sound coming out the tube(s), but I would imagine the ear canal is a very sensitive area, so any vibration whatsoever transferred into the shell I would think would be noticeable in some way. And if so it would enhance listening at all or on the other hand create fatigue after a while. Probable overthinking, probably a non-issue, but had to ask.
I usually mount them using a small but of repair gel, as it thicker and cures out faster without the residue needing to be cleaned off or the use of nitrogen in the final cure.

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #14,940 of 16,068
Mind letting us know? Really curious with your thoughts.
It's in red, orange, yellow and brown - aren't those colors quite close to each other? Plus grey on white background making it nearly invisible, not to mention I only now realized there's 680 ohm damper too, but since it's white and they put white on white you almost can't see it! Graph description is all over the place with no particular order which further makes reading the graph quite hard.
I understand that they tired going for color of damper = color on the graph but then why green is yellow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back