Home-Made IEMs
Jan 20, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #14,836 of 16,063
In the above example what I'm having the biggest issue with is where the C3 lead on the TWFK is terminating. It doesn't appear to be on either the negative or positive solder pad?
TWFK is a dual driver combining an FK with a WBFK. The C3 in the diagram terminates on the positive of the WBFK.

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #14,837 of 16,063
TWFK is a dual driver combining an FK with a WBFK. The C3 in the diagram terminates on the positive of the WBFK.
Exactly, also important - wire one cap after the other - this is to create a 2nd order crossover.

EDIT: haha I found someone made this build http://philchang.me/portfolio/posts/DIY-CIEM-2.html
Hope this helps -

EDIT2: you know after reading it I don't think it will help that much

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #14,838 of 16,063
I'll definitely check these out.

I did have a bit more success recently with a 2nd ear impression, where I didn't have my mouth as open as the first time. Surprisingly this is fitting better when I sing, than the impressions I had made with my mouth more in an open singing position. I found that odd, as it it's kinda contradictory to the reason singers use a bite block when getting them made. I have a gig tonight, so I'll see if they hold up there.

But if the soft wraps help my ACS in ears, and my first attempts , then I'll be happy with that too.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #14,839 of 16,063
Exactly, also important - wire one cap after the other - this is to create a 2nd order crossover.

EDIT: haha I found someone made this build http://philchang.me/portfolio/posts/DIY-CIEM-2.html
Hope this helps -

EDIT2: you know after reading it I don't think it will help that much
In looking more into this build I know a lot of people have had difficulty fitting it into shells, especially if they’ve got smaller ears. Would a SMD board be a viable workaround?

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #14,840 of 16,063
In looking more into this build I know a lot of people have had difficulty fitting it into shells, especially if they’ve got smaller ears. Would a SMD board be a viable workaround?
Use small SMD components and you should be fine in terms of real estate. Don't put through-hole resistors in it. You can use PCB board but if the space is limited PCB will further limit your space.
2xCI+TWFK is some of the most basic IEM configuration there was back in the day, lots of companies made it work so...

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #14,841 of 16,063
Sandpaper worked, still makes sound.
0AD630F6-DEEB-49B7-B5B9-2AEE11B8170B.jpeg
I hv followed your way to do same, but I don't hv knowles 30095, I just used 31736 instead. I removed the cover with sandpaper, very happy after sand off the cover the FR are still perfectly matched.
Snap8.png

I hv a question, where is the sound come out. From 1, the small hole or from 2, the narrow gap. I'm afraid I do it wrong while I insert into the shell and might damged it. Lastly, do I need to sand the other side out also, or one side is enough.
Thanks.

Snap9.png

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #14,843 of 16,063
I hv a question, where is the sound come out. From 1, the small hole or from 2, the narrow gap. I'm afraid I do it wrong while I insert into the shell and might damged it. Lastly, do I need to sand the other side out also, or one side is enough.
Thanks.
i think with the top removed you are getting sound from the entire top. thats the point of the mod, it removes any part of the driver that is shaping or directing the sound. hopefully allowing for more detail. you only sand off one side, and attach it to the shell by the other side. you definitely dont want glue or resin on any of the part you sanded down and you dont sand down the opposite side.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #14,844 of 16,063
I hv followed your way to do same, but I don't hv knowles 30095, I just used 31736 instead. I removed the cover with sandpaper, very happy after sand off the cover the FR are still perfectly matched.Snap8.png

Thanks.

Snap9.png
That whole metal plate is the diaphragm. Left one looks a bit damaged from soldering but should be fine if they are still matched.

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #14,848 of 16,063
i think with the top removed you are getting sound from the entire top. thats the point of the mod, it removes any part of the driver that is shaping or directing the sound. hopefully allowing for more detail. you only sand off one side, and attach it to the shell by the other side. you definitely dont want glue or resin on any of the part you sanded down and you dont sand down the opposite side.
oh! This is my 1st time open the cover of the BA driver. ha, ha the sound is from there. thanks, I learn a lot from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back