Home-Made IEMs
Feb 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #12,361 of 15,988
Thanks for the quick replies, very informative! I thought I was missing something, but if it doesn't really matter I'll just order a bunch of the cheaper AVX SMD capacitors and Vishay Dale SMD resistors from Mouser. That way I can quickly test out a good configuration after designing it in Vituix/REW. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Not going to buy from Mouser because they ask €20 shipping, I'll order from another site with better shipping rates. The other site doesn't sell AVX so I'll get Kemet then.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #12,363 of 15,988
Thanks for the quick replies, very informative! I thought I was missing something, but if it doesn't really matter I'll just order a bunch of the cheaper AVX SMD capacitors and Vishay Dale SMD resistors from Mouser. That way I can quickly test out a good configuration after designing it in Vituix/REW. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Not going to buy from Mouser because they ask €20 shipping, I'll order from another site with better shipping rates. The other site doesn't sell AVX so I'll get Kemet then.
Before using vituix cad

Make a measurement of every driver with specific tubes you want to add to it

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #12,364 of 15,988
Well, here's what I'm moving forward with. Red damper was way too much, I used a black damper on the 31736 just to round off the peaks. So I'll build these two circuits, one is all series 32257, the other is 2x2 series parallel 32257, both have the 31736 in parallel with high pass capacitor(s.) No impedance fixes yet, haven't measured impedance yet actually.

May try to zobel the whole thing all together as a first attempt?

32257 31736 options.jpg

Edit: tuning comments - small cap values as a high pass are significantly reducing db on the 31736, which helps me here, but is there a way to do this without reducing volume that much? Tried multiple caps to get the final value but that didn't seem to affect the db value. This is breadboard with normal ceramic caps, hopefully the final circuits with smd stuff aren't wildly different.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #12,365 of 15,988
Before using vituix cad

Make a measurement of every driver with specific tubes you want to add to it
Thanks, yes that's the idea. I want to try out a few different damper values and drivers wired both in normal configuration and center tapped, so I have enough measurements to work with. Though the measurement device I bought will probably take the longest to arive because I bought it from taobao during Chinese new year without thinking lol.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #12,367 of 15,988
Kemet is the best for me . X7r 10% tolerance is the best you can find. And for me the best smd resistors are from Viking. Thin film resistors.
Thanks, I already ordered them but it seems I got the X7r 10% Kemet's. I ordered some different resistors, Vishay DCU thick film resistor (only Vishay SMD resistor they had at this store), which I hope will be good enough.

Make iem with resistors and single capacitors . 2 way Woofer - tweeter or 3 way woofer - tweeter- super tweeter. Don't choose the 38D1XJ00 as woofer - sub woofer my opinion.

I have used many times the 38D1XJ00. the woofer isn't better than the other 38 series woofers from sonion and makes the build more complicated.

Dont need to use vituix cad, you can ask as , we can save you a lot of time .

Don't do complicated crossovers or complicated builds . It will not sound as you expect even with vituix cad.
Thanks for the tips, I'll limit to only the design recommended earlier then and I'll also limit to only simple crossovers using one capacitor. The reason I wanted to try Vituix was because I thought I could get an estimate of the sound without needing to resolder a different capacitor or resistor, though I know that the final sound will differ from the simulated frequency response and that these measuring tools aren't entirely accurate to begin with especially in the treble. Since the recommended design had 3 different possible capacitor values, I want to try the one which simulates the best.
I don't want to order more components for my first build since I'm not that confident in my soldering yet, so I'll stick to the CI and ED I ordered for now. I do have a KZ ZSN that I never use which I could cannibalize for the cheap knockoff tweeter if that's worth anything, but that's about it for drivers I'm willing to use in this first build.

I'll be certain to make a build with a Sonion 38 woofer and better full range/tweeter once I'm more confident in my soldering. Looking at what you write about them I can't wait to try them, but the idea of accidentally burning a $20 driver is keeping me away for now.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #12,368 of 15,988
Well, here's what I'm moving forward with. Red damper was way too much, I used a black damper on the 31736 just to round off the peaks. So I'll build these two circuits, one is all series 32257, the other is 2x2 series parallel 32257, both have the 31736 in parallel with high pass capacitor(s.) No impedance fixes yet, haven't measured impedance yet actually.

May try to zobel the whole thing all together as a first attempt?

Edit: tuning comments - small cap values as a high pass are significantly reducing db on the 31736, which helps me here, but is there a way to do this without reducing volume that much? Tried multiple caps to get the final value but that didn't seem to affect the db value. This is breadboard with normal ceramic caps, hopefully the final circuits with smd stuff aren't wildly different.
As I was saying
Series parallel is better to preserve pinna section and make 4 driver behave as 1

Too much series and inductive force increase a lot, killing the uppermid with it as amp don't like to play a lot of inductance.
It's like having a load of resistance at that Frequency

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #12,371 of 15,988
the 38D1XJ00 maybe have the Acoupass technology but sounds better with red damper and way way better with crossover for me but on this build I went simple .

To Tam the peaks on the 2389D the red damper works the best .

The cable plays a big role also .
the drivers with silver cable also Tam some peaks ( more treble- smother ) sounds better than the pure Cooper cable on mid high frequencies and Cooper sounded full on low frequencies.( some more db on low frequencies).

That means the 2389D can be used also with with white dampers if gonna use silver cable.

I must use for the next build inside the shell and connect the mid - high drivers with pure silver cable and the bass drivers with pure Cooper cable and use silver Cooper mix cable for the source or connecting the daps.

Tested with 6n Cooper and 7n silver and mix silver Cooper

🙃

Can you share the 38d1xj crossover details? I just got a pair :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #12,373 of 15,988
Each build has different crossover.

I must know what you gonna build 🙂

One tip I personally use is , I get always the half value resistor of the resistance of the bass drivers if that helps.
For example 25 ohm 38D1XJ00 I get 12 ohm or I try to make one 12.5 ohm resistor and I start from there

No plans for those yet, I have a few other things in line first. Just curious what you ended up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back