Home-Made IEMs
Feb 16, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #12,377 of 15,944
I have an already made very good crossover , 2 way crossover , second order low pass filter for the ci and a single tantalum capacitor for the ed , very clean made on a pcb board for your ci and ed . If you pay the shipping cost I can send to you one pair.
Really? That would be amazing, I'll pm you. Thanks!

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #12,378 of 15,944
Hi all

Do you guys know about the litz wire to connect driver inside as picture? I guess they use silver litz wire and wrap plastic tube outside. I am trying to buy it but I don't know where to buy.

Attachments

• KL-CORONA_001.jpg
    KL-CORONA_001.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 17, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #12,379 of 15,944
Without having and without testing it
I will suggest something to try if you want.

38D1XJ00 low pass filter.
16 ohm thin film resistor 0.1 tolerance , 47 uf ceramic capacitor x7r , 10% tolerance
Reversed polarity.
Series connection of the 38D1XJ00.

....................26e25
Cut , take out the connection between the 2 drivers......................

47 uf Ceramic capacitor on the woofer of 26e25 to pull out low frequencies without being to thin.

Don't replace the capacitor of the tweeter. Don't touch it. I think it has already a matched capacitor 2.2 uf or something near this .

Then Connect all in series.

White damper in the middle of the tube of the 26e25

38D1XJ00 without damper.

1,5 mm ID tube for the 38D1XJ00 and 1,5 mm ID tube for the 26e25.

Place first the the 26e25 close to the nozzle for extended high frequency.
and then the 38D1XJ00 with a bit longer tube.

The length of the tubes depends of course the design of your iem shell.
But don't forget to place the 26e25 as close as possible to the nozzle.

😜
Without having and without testing it
I will suggest something to try if you want.

38D1XJ00 low pass filter.
16 ohm thin film resistor 0.1 tolerance , 47 uf ceramic capacitor x7r , 10% tolerance
Reversed polarity.
Series connection of the 38D1XJ00.

....................26e25
Cut , take out the connection between the 2 drivers......................

47 uf Ceramic capacitor on the woofer of 26e25 to pull out low frequencies without being to thin.

Don't replace the capacitor of the tweeter. Don't touch it. I think it has already a matched capacitor 2.2 uf or something near this .

Then Connect all in series.

White damper in the middle of the tube of the 26e25

38D1XJ00 without damper.

1,5 mm ID tube for the 38D1XJ00 and 1,5 mm ID tube for the 26e25.

Place first the the 26e25 close to the nozzle for extended high frequency.
and then the 38D1XJ00 with a bit longer tube.

The length of the tubes depends of course the design of your iem shell.
But don't forget to place the 26e25 as close as possible to the nozzle.

😜

Hi Right On

About resistor for 38D1X, you propose use 16 Ohm.

I check DC resistance of 38D1X is 12.5 Ohm (Datasheet of Sonion site).

So we have fomular: F=1/(2*pi*R*C).

R is only 16 Ohm or both (16 + 12.5) if we place in fomular? (I'm really bad in Math :))

In case if we only add cap for low pass filter, is it mean R=1?

Thanks so much for your help.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #12,380 of 15,944
Hi all

Do you guys know about the litz wire to connect driver inside as picture? I guess they use silver litz wire and wrap plastic tube outside. I am trying to buy it but I don't know where to buy.
I think it's just really thin gauge wire with insulation already on it, maybe 28-38AWG? I only know that CEMA Electro acousti Store on aliexpress sells some 28AWG silver+gold or spc wires (which could be too thick at 1.12mm OD?). While I know there's other cable manufacturers that sell high quality wire for DIY stuff, I never really looked that deep into it so I wouldn't know who all sell good quality stuff, especially with such small diameters. Maybe somebody else knows a better alternative.
Links for the two wires I know of:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000007744883.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046978735.html

If you're going to use this kind of non pre tinned litz wire you will need a soldering jar/pot. (source: https://www.hflitzwire.com/litz-wire-soldering/ )
There's some videos on youtube explaining how to make a DIY soldering jar/pot with a regular soldering iron if you can't find/afford one, not sure how safe they are but it is an option.

Edit:
@dhruvmeena96 is absolutely correct, the Soundlink wires are great quality and the difference should be negligible.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #12,381 of 15,944
I think it's just really thin gauge wire with insulation already on it, maybe 28-38AWG? I only know that CEMA Electro acousti Store on aliexpress sells some 28AWG silver+gold or spc wires (which could be too thick at 1.12mm OD?). While I know there's other cable manufacturers that sell high quality wire for DIY stuff, I never really looked that deep into it so I wouldn't know who all sell good quality stuff, especially with such small diameters. Maybe somebody else knows a better alternative.

If you're going to use this kind of non pre tinned litz wire you will need a soldering jar/pot. (source: https://www.hflitzwire.com/litz-wire-soldering/ )
There's some videos on youtube explaining how to make a DIY soldering jar/pot with a regular soldering iron if you can't find/afford one, not sure how safe they are but it is an option.
Type of metal doesn't really matter though

Just plug anything which has negligible resistance and everything is fine

Soundlink sells those small thin cable and you can contact them
Hi all

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #12,382 of 15,944

Thanks bro : )

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #12,383 of 15,944
Hi Right On

About resistor for 38D1X, you propose use 16 Ohm.

I check DC resistance of 38D1X is 12.5 Ohm (Datasheet of Sonion site).

So we have fomular: F=1/(2*pi*R*C).

R is only 16 Ohm or both (16 + 12.5) if we place in fomular? (I'm really bad in Math :))

In case if we only add cap for low pass filter, is it mean R=1?

Thanks so much for your help.
One cap isn't a low pass filter.
This is a high pass filter.

The 38D1XJ00 has a big gain on 30 hz and then it start to roll of .you can select the crossover point wherever you want.

You can use any resistor and any capacitor for low pass filter ( resistor- capacitor )and then measure it to see that any kind of low pass filter will work. You don't need to take dc resistance and start from there.

The nominal impedance is for calculating the high pass filter ( one single capacitor )

The 38D1XJ00 is made for 3 way iems .

Single order crossover is like no crossover.

The huge problem with first-order filters is that cut-off slope isn't very steep; indeed, it's shallow, falling off at only -6dB per octave and -20dB per decade. This requires that the both drivers exhibit much wider bandwidth than we are likely to encounter in reality

I will ask the guys who are years in this threat.

Guys for a low pass filter which impedance I must take and calculate ? And why ?

Feb 17, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #12,384 of 15,944

Edit:
@dhruvmeena96 is absolutely correct, the Soundlink wires are great quality and the difference should be negligible.
I found a very interesting (and cheap) cable with various colors on ali. The store seems pretty good too

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000416620463.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.230b3c00zI8QTY&mp=1

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #12,385 of 15,944
Don't need to understand everything and I can't explain everything. I'm building to 2 years iems and I have destroyed more than 20 drivers from experiments and I'm still learning. This isn't easy at all .

Use vituix , xsim or any other.
are many softwares for designing crossovers if you want complicated crossovers.

many companies they add 14 drivers inside one shell to cover the audio spectrum. Why that ? For resolution or what ?

BALANCED ARMATURE DRIVERS HAVE DISADVANTAGES AND MULTI BALANCED ARMATURE IEMS HAVE MORE AND THEY CAN SOUND REALLY BAD WITH CROSSOVER OR WITHOUT.

A 3 way iem for example woofer- tweeter- super tweeter can outperform the most iems out there even the most well-known. Even single balanced armature iems can sound better than a BAD multi ba build.

EVEN A SINGLE DYNAMIC DRIVER CAN OUTPERFORM MANY MULTI BA IEMS .

You decide how it will sound and WHAT is best for you.
What i suggest and what I like , maybe you don't like and wasn't exactly what you wanted.

I will stop helping and suggesting.
I will only post from now the frequency response graph and the crossover design- tube length - drivers etc and if someone like it then can copy it.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #12,386 of 15,944
Type of metal doesn't really matter though

Just plug anything which has negligible resistance and everything is fine

Soundlink sells those small thin cable and you can contact them
Th
Don't need to understand everything and I can't explain everything. I'm building to 2 years iems and I have destroyed more than 20 drivers from experiments and I'm still learning. This isn't easy at all .

Use vituix , xsim or any other.
are many softwares for designing crossovers if you want complicated crossovers.

many companies they add 14 drivers inside one shell to cover the audio spectrum. Why that ? For resolution or what ?

BALANCED ARMATURE DRIVERS HAVE DISADVANTAGES AND MULTI BALANCED ARMATURE IEMS HAVE MORE AND THEY CAN SOUND REALLY BAD WITH CROSSOVER OR WITHOUT.

A 3 way iem for example woofer- tweeter- super tweeter can outperform the most iems out there even the most well-known. Even single balanced armature iems can sound better than a BAD multi ba build.

EVEN A SINGLE DYNAMIC DRIVER CAN OUTPERFORM MANY MULTI BA IEMS .

You decide how it will sound and WHAT is best for you.
What i suggest and what I like , maybe you don't like and wasn't exactly what you wanted.

I will stop helping and suggesting.
I will only post from now the frequency response graph and the crossover design- tube length - drivers etc and if someone like it then can copy it.
Actually I am building 26e25t with 38D1X. I do not use low pass filter on 38D, so that I listen sound of intrusment is bigger than voice of singer. I am intending add cap 68uF to cut off freq . As I know, low pass filter is: cap is paralell with driver, and add resister to make volume balance among mid and trebble.

I use fomular: f=1/(2*pi*R*C).

If just use cap parallel with driver (no add resistor), then R = 1 or R =12 ohm (Rdc of driver)?

If add both cap and resistor (R2 = 16ohm), R in fomular is: R= Rdc + R2 = 12+16=28 ohm, correct? Or R=R2=16ohm?

Sorry for my English is not good :). Your knowlegde is really good for me reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back