Home-Made IEMs
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #12,033 of 16,107
Hi .
This one isn't for me .
I don't have a ton of drivers ,shells ,and crossovers, i do not have a company to play hours with iems tuning them .

One year took me playing with crossovers and destroying drivers from soldering.
I don't like complicated designs..

And im sure you never had good bass with this one . Im 100% sure . This one never sounded good. No offense. Is Only my opinion

One guy from sonion told me many companies don't use any crossovers and they sound amazing. And isn't a must to use crossovers.

See campfire audio ara or campfire audio Andromeda special edition and many other companies. Many crossoverless designs.

120 db Max 30 khz .

Wiring and driver combination will play a huge role to make the play loud.
1.First add wire to driver
Long one and then cross on wire instead of driver directly
2.there was no crossover on 38D1XJ
3. I think you have crossover trauma... Everybody has that in beginning, it's just that you need to have to get basics from start right(that's why we all are here for.... Ask us... We will be glad to explain)
@Xymordos has made some of the killer bass iem period

Now about campfire

This is going to be rant and also some simple truth

They don't know how to get pinna or uppermid right... Period

Ara, if you have heard, sucks bad. Didn't like the sound at all.

Andromeda pre2020 sounds like Tin can and sibilant without any thought given to impedance at all

Andromeda post 2020 is fine, and is good

Campfire IO is the worst thing I have heard. 1$ earbuds sold nearby my metro from Street vendors is better

Campfire Orion and Nova were the best iem campfire produced in respect of tuning and they still sound nice

Orion sounds like EX1000 with better treble control and BA tonality

Comet was ok

Dorado and Polaris are polarising bad for a balanced listener like me(but it might be good for those who need insane bass).

Rant end

About EST
Where did you read 130dB....

Shiet

It doesn't even reach 90dB properly on some frequency

See the datasheet and see the line which represent IEC711 graph

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #12,034 of 16,107
And im sure you never had good bass with this one . Im 100% sure . This one never sounded good. No offense. Is Only my opinion

You tried the 38dx without a filter to assert that?

I think you have to mount the configuration and make a comparison before being so affirmative:wink:

As for the use without filter of Andromeda or ambient, I think they use at least drivers that use adequate sensitivities for use without filter. Campfire may also have to make custom drivers for them for this use.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #12,035 of 16,107
You tried the 38dx without a filter to assert that?

I think you have to mount the configuration and make a comparison before being so assertive:wink:

As for the use without filter of Andromeda or ambient, I think they use at least drivers that use adequate sensitivities for use without filter. Campfire may also have to make custom drivers for them for this use.
The mid driver on andro pre2020
It was bellsing if I remember
Bellsing custom made...

But leave it

It's on engineer how they tune it and not armature mostly

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #12,037 of 16,107
Thx for the info. 🙂

I will do same length same diameter exactly the same diameters with this one is preferred on sonions datasheet .

I went with this driver combination because is safe and not complicated. Bass - mid - highs.
The 38D1XJ00 no need dampers.
The 2389D sounds perfectly with a white damper.
Maybe one resistor in series to pull out the low frequency bump ? Or no resistor at all ?
For The est one ceramic cap 2.2uf no tantalum !
One short nozzle with 3 bores 1.5 mm each and that's it .
Is perfect
🥳🥳🥳🥳
2389D in series
Add some resistance to tune it to your liking
Add brown I would say since you are going tk use EST for treble purpose. The brown will tame some shoutiness(2 to 4kHz region)on upper mids.

38D1XJ in series and please add Lpad.
The bass this thing produces is insane(bloody insane). I mean you have to series it and Lpad it. Lpad on woofer will also flatten the impedance of whole circuit. Adding a yellow damper fixes the resonance it can produce in tube

Yes, a tube is a resonant device and it has peaks on some frequency (as per tube lenght). And even 38D1 will do some resonances.

EST, damperless, and cross as per your taste.

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #12,039 of 16,107
120 db at 30 khz 600 mVrms Burst .

They are latest technology from sonion
This one have improved transformator with 2.5 db added gain

I didn't said 130 db
Also, that's a driver self spec, inside a system with distributed power, you would never hit that number. And also, you might never hear 30kHz.
EST is used because of its transient responses

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #12,041 of 16,107
EST will be in parallel with the other drivers in series.
For the power sharing.
The est needs 4 to 5 times more power than the other drivers to play loud.
I have calculated the impedance and input power of each driver to make them all play loud at limits. 😀 is tricky
I mean
38D1XJ is two driver
I meant internal series

Same for 2389D
They are two driver
Again I meant internal series

What I will do is draw a diagram for you tommorow(if I was not clear enough)
It's late here

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #12,045 of 16,107
Aldo40
😂😂🤣🤣 true

Doing things complicate brings more problems.
I will stay simple.

We all know the disadvantages of the balanced armature drivers. Many companies still use DD drivers and stay simple with best sound quality.
I know isn't easy because the drivers are so tiny and crossovers works well but then is no more space to place all components and I don’t want to end like JH audio with huge shells.

Everything depends on your requirement in the final result :wink: we are several here has filtered drivers or speakers for decades, we are not here to put obstacles in the wheels because you have another vision, this vision had already crossed our minds :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back