Home-Made IEMs
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #10,412 of 15,989
Every peak on ED26805 is 5dB less loud than ED29689.

So having a brown damper or a white damper is enough
Makes sense. Seems like the 26805 is the better midrange driver, but with zobel and resonator, 29689 could be better for FR

Edit: at second look, with its treble and extension i’m not so sure

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #10,413 of 15,989
Hi everyone,

I plan to create a smallest possible crossover DIY hybrid version between the Final Audio E5000 and F7200. Two models that I admire because of their minimalistic design and sound quality. I would like to combine the advantages of a dynamic driver and a armature driver in one earphone. I use a small metal shell where the DD sits, and directly in front inside the nozzle I want to place the BA (without tube).

I already ordered the parts, so it's about to make them match and finding the best solution using the given components. Here some informations about the drivers I want to use with specifications:

Dynamic driver of B&O H5 6.5mm

• Impedance 1kHz: 16 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 90dB SPL +/-3dB
  • Flat frequency response: 10-20000Hz
  • Power: 5MW ~ 20MW

Knowles RAB-32257
  • Impedance 1kHz: 48 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 105.5 dB SPL
  • Flat frequency response: 20-11000Hz

This is my first DIY project and If you have suggestions and tips how to pair the drivers, what to consider or you just could refer me a link of a previous discussion, please let me know.

My main questions are:
  • Will I need a frequency divider? What type and where to get it?
  • Should I use specific dampers attached directly to the BB or any kind of tuning cotton/foam?
  • Is there a way to set the volume of each driver separately in a very small shell?
  • Should I better make short tubes from both drivers till the end of nozzle and make a seal for a better impact of the sound?
  • What kind of mesh should I use?

Thanks for your support!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #10,414 of 15,989
Hi everyone,

I plan to create a smallest possible crossover DIY hybrid version between the Final Audio E5000 and F7200. Two models that I admire because of their minimalistic design and sound quality. I would like to combine the advantages of a dynamic driver and a armature driver in one earphone. I use a small metal shell where the DD sits, and directly in front inside the nozzle I want to place the BA (without tube).

I already ordered the parts, so it's about to make them match and finding the best solution using the given components. Here some informations about the drivers I want to use with specifications:

Dynamic driver of B&O H5 6.5mm

• Impedance 1kHz: 16 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 90dB SPL +/-3dB
  • Flat frequency response: 10-20000Hz
  • Power: 5MW ~ 20MW

Knowles RAB-32257
  • Impedance 1kHz: 48 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 105.5 dB SPL
  • Flat frequency response: 20-11000Hz

This is my first DIY project and If you have suggestions and tips how to pair the drivers, what to consider or you just could refer me a link of a previous discussion, please let me know.

My main questions are:
  • Will I need a frequency divider? What type and where to get it?
  • Should I use specific dampers attached directly to the BB or any kind of tuning cotton/foam?
  • Is there a way to set the volume of each driver separately in a very small shell?
  • Should I better make short tubes from both drivers till the end of nozzle and make a seal for a better impact of the sound?
  • What kind of mesh should I use?

Thanks for your support!
Using cross means you are making a new type of sound .

Paralleling these two driver can get you the sound fusion of those both driver.. But you might need to damped then both.

And Final use Sonion 23xx driver and dynamic driver is unknown.. b&o driver looks pretty much same...but Final and b&o dont sound same at all

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #10,415 of 15,989
Using cross means you are making a new type of sound .

Paralleling these two driver can get you the sound fusion of those both driver.. But you might need to damped then both.

And Final use Sonion 23xx driver and dynamic driver is unknown.. b&o driver looks pretty much same...but Final and b&o dont sound same at all

Yes that's the idea, using the BA for the clarity and the DD for giving more warmth and filling the gap in the upper frequencies that the RAB seems to be lacking. You think that could work? And what would you use for damping each driver?

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #10,417 of 15,989
woofer might be red
RAB green

same length tubing

So you think it's necessary to put tubes in front of each driver? It would be difficult to make the two tubes the same length out of a limitation of the small shell that I use. What if I would use tuning cotton for the DD and placing the BA in front inside of the nozzle without tube but attaching the green damper in front of the BA?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #10,418 of 15,989
Here is an inspiration of a hybrid:

image.jpeg

This is the shell I want to use:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And a quick and dirty sketch of how I wish to place the drivers:

image.jpeg

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #10,419 of 15,989

That would be hard to fit inthat shell.
By the way

Use micropore tape to tune dynamic driver

Just get a super small size paper punching machine(stationary)

And tape the center only

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #10,420 of 15,989
That would be hard to fit in...

In that shell.

Use micropore tape to tune dynamic driver

Yes using tubing would be almost impossible. Ok, so using micropore tape for DD and the green damper for BA. I will try that.

Thanks for your help! I will post some pictures of the process and let you know if this combination will sound good.

Cheers!

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #10,421 of 15,989
Yes using tubing would be almost impossible. Ok, so using micropore tape for DD and the green damper for BA. I will try that.

Thanks for your help! I will post some pictures of the process and let you know if this combination will sound good.

Cheers!
Before that

Do search for micropore mod on iem

You have to just dampen the center of driver... The sides should move air

For RAB...

You will need to do @Slater tube attach damp on the driver..

It is there on this thread...

Need some searching

He used green damper and a tube trick

Ask him about that

Nov 15, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #10,422 of 15,989
Had a nightmare last night, I had to tune this:
F4E61443-D0E3-44E8-A7DF-C5FAD96C1798.jpeg
3C99D263-5F83-48DC-95A2-329D1C1EDD40.jpeg
F003C8F4-44D8-47A9-810B-B912BECB97DE.jpeg
0A04F3AE-BFAC-4453-9168-36B515C7F932.jpeg
Probably should have studied for chemistry, but this is more cool. I got fotoplast in a tube, and nothing would work. Small needles, nothing would work. I got it out. Fotoplast does not taste as bad as I thought it would. Clarity is great, these things are just hard to take pictures of. 3 tubes per iem, yellow filter on HODVTEC.

For everybody, know that Bondic UV has a slight green tint.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #10,423 of 15,989
That has no lacquer on it, so it will look even better once it does. Currently it has 6 wires hanging out of it, all about a meter long, for breadboard tuning.

Also, to mount the 1mm filters, I tried a bunch of stuff, like dental picks and a pencil lead. Dental picks will probably poke a hole in it, and pencil lead dirties the inside of the tube, and could break. The damper puller that soundlink sells won’t fit. I used the back of a sewing needle, if that helps anybody. It worked really well.

I have a yellow on hodvtec for richer sound; i’ll add one to the ED if it needs it.

I don’t like the 2 internal bubbles, but I am very satisfied with my result. There’s one in the canal and one behind the transformer. I tried filling the canal with resin from a needle, but there was too much pressure to do so. The transformer looks fantastic when fully surrounded in resin.

I am kind of nervous for cutting a spot for the connector, as I forgot to do that before I glued in my drivers. Ill cover the whole thing in electrical tape for dust.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #10,424 of 15,989

Hmmm, look like WBFK-30019 driver in snout (could be 30042). Good driver, but its really only a super tweeter. Its used in a specific brand earphone (that I cannot say) called a TIA driver. It is really only recommended to be used 3-4kkhz+. However, finding good dynamics is hard, due to how much their back volume affects the driver response. I think you should use the WBFK, but I am not a fan of the idea of a dynamic. I think you should use a RAB or RAF driver. Another driver you could use is the SR, I have used it, and its got a great midrange. I would do an electronic crossover.

Something that you need to consider when you build this is how BA's are very leak sensitive. I would put the WBFK in the snout, and then put the SR/RAB/RAF in the tube. Tack weld the WBFK to the side of the nozzle with Bondic. Then run the tube to to terminate at the at the same point as the front of the WBFK. You will have to find some way to seal this. What I think you should do is take Bondic UV glue, stick the needle-like end all the way into the back of the shell, and squeeze untill it is full to the point that the WBFK is half housed in resin. Then cure it with light.

Just know that you couldn't use any vented driver. SR is vented, so you would have to tape off the port.

edit: no, the phase won’t be perfect, but in that shell, it’s as good as it will get. At 3khz it’s effect will not be audible

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #10,425 of 15,989
I found the Tia high driver, WBFK-30019, (sold on mouser). It is also called the WBFK-60025. I dont know why it has 2 names. I am sure that this is the driver we are looking for.
Tech specs: https://www.knowles.com/docs/default-source/model-downloads/wbfk-30019-000.pdf
mouser listing, know that the image is wrong: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Knowles/WBFK-30019-000?qs=3unH/Dqlvl9zo75uZO9NyA==
Taobao: https://world.taobao.com/item/575428230148.htm?spm=a21wu.11804641-tw.0.0.78e91a4cZWgikX
another taobao: https://world.taobao.com/item/584263834727.htm?spm=a21wu.12321156-tw.0.0.72b9677fNq41HW

Hi, just so folks are aware you are spreading misinformation. You are jumping to conclusions before checking thoroughly on stuff. (This post is not an attack in any way though just so we make things clear and welcome to the community btw.)

These are not the TIA series of drivers
TIA drivers are different. they don't have a "roof", not spout but roof. Although they are tweeters based on known Knowles driver series they still aren't the same as spoutless drivers.
Here you can see how they look
upload_2019-11-16_0-8-41.png

Regarding the A12, they don't use DTEC as woofers but Sonion's based drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back