Home-Made IEMs
Mar 15, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #6,196 of 15,989
  I think only the yellow damper might get rid of that 1khz peak to a certain degree. You could try and see if using 2 yellow dampers in series (in the same tube) does the trick.
Having a low pass filter is probably more aggressive but effective. 

I'd prefer not to use dampers though, as I usually don't use a PVC/Silicon tube :p Seems like the value of the cap on the low pass must be quite big for it to be effective.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #6,197 of 15,989
Yesterday i exploded my triple to remake it again. But didnt had a time to do so in the evening so this morning i saw a pair of cheap chinese kz on the floor near the bed and decided to do something before taking my train to work. Had 10 minutes to get rid of the dynamic driver inside and glue a bk one instead with grey damper in the tube. Yeah its not the best earphone in the world. Lack of everything. But itll do to get through the day i guess :)

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #6,198 of 15,989
Yesterday i exploded my triple to remake it again. But didnt had a time to do so in the evening so this morning i saw a pair of cheap chinese kz on the floor near the bed and decided to do something before taking my train to work. Had 10 minutes to get rid of the dynamic driver inside and glue a bk one instead with grey damper in the tube. Yeah its not the best earphone in the world. Lack of everything. But itll do to get through the day i guess :)

whats that "triple"?......was it xiaomi triple hybrid iem? and is the kz model, ZS3?

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #6,200 of 15,989
I think only the yellow damper might get rid of that 1khz peak to a certain degree. You could try and see if using 2 yellow dampers in series (in the same tube) does the trick.
Having a low pass filter is probably more aggressive but effective. 

I tried what Luke suggested with damping it instead of using resistors, and I didn't care for the sound at all. I felt like the bass was like an over filled balloon. Even when I tried adding resistance to it, it still sounded way to chaotic to me.

It could also be that the impedance differences between the TWFK and HODVTEC was making it sound worse, I did not compensate or try to add much capetance to the TWFK, I'll test individually instead of as a full setup.

I will try some tests tonight with taping the vents to see if that draws that sound a bit tighter. If I get the chance I'll post the measurements from testing.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #6,201 of 15,989
Hey,

thanks a lot for helping with the driver & damper choice in the last week. 

I'm currently at the tuning stage with my DIEMs and I'm really not sure about the tube length for it. For example if you take a GK, I read the "best" thing is to put the dampers 5mm from spout for the tweeter and 7mm from the woofer, but what should the actual tube length be? What is the best length to start to, or which length work best in all of your monitors? (not just for the GK)

Second question is, how do you test your driver setup with different dampers? I see a problem when I glue the tube to the driver to seal it. Switching the damper after that is not very easy and a fast plug & play thing. So how do you solve that problem?

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #6,203 of 15,989
So I spent the majority of the night working with the HODVTEC and have some results. I tested on my rig but do not have graphs to post as I am tired and have to work in the morning.

What I noticed with no resistor and yellow damper, the HODVTEC is very thunderous and is putting out too much pressure to be comfortable for me.

From 10ohm - 30ohm resistance, sound cleans and bass drops significantly losing and shifts from thunderous to clean mud.

When I removed the damper on those ranges I found the sound signature was decent.

I removed the damper and tested between 30ohm - 70ohm resistance. To my surprise the 50ohm - 70ohm had the best detailed bass maintaining a nice sound and to my ears the 68ohm sounded the best. I plan on testing tomorrow with the SWFK as well as with a TWFK.

So far I think 68ohm resistor gets me what I want in the HODVTEC.

This was tested in a universal shell with a horn style tip, NO faceplate attached paired with a TWFK with a .47 cap.

Am I correct in assuming you left the ports open? If so, wouldn't having no faceplate affect the sound a lot compared to if there was a faceplate, given the significant difference in air volume?

I would be curious to see how much of a difference there is if you run the same tests again, but with a temp faceplate attached. I have a feeling it could make a big difference.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #6,204 of 15,989
  Hey,

thanks a lot for helping with the driver & damper choice in the last week. 

I'm currently at the tuning stage with my DIEMs and I'm really not sure about the tube length for it. For example if you take a GK, I read the "best" thing is to put the dampers 5mm from spout for the tweeter and 7mm from the woofer, but what should the actual tube length be? What is the best length to start to, or which length work best in all of your monitors? (not just for the GK)

Second question is, how do you test your driver setup with different dampers? I see a problem when I glue the tube to the driver to seal it. Switching the damper after that is not very easy and a fast plug & play thing. So how do you solve that problem?

Thanks!

To test dampers I use a small amount of blue-tac around the base of the spout to connect the driver to the tubing. It holds well enough to get through testing, and cleanup is minimal when getting ready to put everything together for final.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #6,205 of 15,989
Ok i was actually just bad talking about the bk driver earlier. But ive just sat down on the couch after the work and put some vocal smooth jazz through this little driver and the experience went surprisingly well. Then some cardigans, same, quite nice balancee sound. But when i drop some metal/harcore stuff (music i listen to almost everytime), it lacks of something i cant say what. Sound is like from radio i dont know :) but yeah for some other music genres it is surprisingly good! Bk driver with grey damper.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #6,206 of 15,989

Am I correct in assuming you left the ports open? If so, wouldn't having no faceplate affect the sound a lot compared to if there was a faceplate, given the significant difference in air volume?

I would be curious to see how much of a difference there is if you run the same tests again, but with a temp faceplate attached. I have a feeling it could make a big difference.

Attaching the faceplate shouldn't matter for a vented BA.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #6,209 of 15,989
  There is a measurable difference for open and closed faceplate either in vented and non-vented drivers. Open back IEM sounds different than closed shell

You sure of that?
even a non vented BA?

I measured quite a few with closed and open back and measurements show no difference. Of course there was no air leak at the tip.
We are talking balanced armature only.
I even remember doing this lately on a er4p for repair. 

I can agree on the fact that it might sound slightly different once in your ears because of the added layer of isolation.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #6,210 of 15,989
You got me intrigued so I just a measured a 33AJ007i/9 (vented) that had a low pass, I stuck it in a generic shell and measured with and without sealing it. (yellow is open green is closed)
the driver have is not dampered and have no tube attached to it just sealed to the metal nozzle of the generic shell

Maybe THDs are different though 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back