Home-Made IEMs
Jul 27, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #2,041 of 16,074
  But your design didn't use the ED29689. WBFK always create a dip in the frequency response when used together with that driver as Peter said.

No, not always, but if you want to preserve peaks for ear resonances you'll probably end up with deep around 6kHz. I'm afraid moving drivers away from each other won't fix it unless the distance is really big (by big I mean >2cm)

if you measure with iec711 than valleys after 10kHz is quite typical for most drivers - but not every.

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #2,042 of 16,074
I usually get a dip at around 9/10kHz, but my WBFK have ~1cm of space to move around, which I have been testing which position works best.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #2,044 of 16,074
  But your design didn't use the ED29689. WBFK always create a dip in the frequency response when used together with that driver as Peter said.

I'll be sure to let you all know if I have the same problems, but what I meant was the fitting of the WBFK in relation to left and right channels. They will be fairly close/ exactly on because of the 3D printed channel.

The GQ apparently uses an ED + WBFK if i'm not wrong, and the graphs above looks pretty decent, and I can only imagine how much better it will get with a CI/HODVTEC to lift the sub-bass and bass.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #2,045 of 16,074

I'll be sure to let you all know if I have the same problems, but what I meant was the fitting of the WBFK in relation to left and right channels. They will be fairly close/ exactly on because of the 3D printed channel.

The GQ apparently uses an ED + WBFK if i'm not wrong, and the graphs above looks pretty decent, and I can only imagine how much better it will get with a CI/HODVTEC to lift the sub-bass and bass.

OK, but GQ is specifically designed to work together it's not like KA put two random drivers together and threw it on the market. It's pretty much like AcuPass from Sonion - you can take 1700 and 2300 but it won't sound the same as 1723WT03

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #2,046 of 16,074

OK, but GQ is specifically designed to work together it's not like KA put two random drivers together and threw it on the market. It's pretty much like AcuPass from Sonion - you can take 1700 and 2300 but it won't sound the same as 1723WT03

My first test set should have a DTEC/CI/ED/WBFK, second one will have HODVTEC/CI/GQ. I'm also going to measure the responses since I have contacted someone who has the rig locally, so I'll let you all know what I find out in a couple of weeks.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #2,047 of 16,074
That would certainly be nice to know! If the GQ works well I'd like to use it.

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #2,049 of 16,074
Does anyone have portable amp suggestions that work well with CIEM's and don't break the bank? I have the Fiio E6 and even though it works great with some of my other headphones, It sounds awful when I try using it with my home made IEMs. On my GK build I get a painful feedback and on my GQ+DTEC build it just makes everything sound like mud. The reason I still want an amp though is that I notice a significantly better sound when my source is my laptop which has a more powerful line out in comparison to my cell phone.

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #2,052 of 16,074
I just use the ZX1 :p Portable amps are too bulky. At home I use the HA5000, but this amp is quite colored. The GQ is a WBFK + which ED driver? Have you tried the HODTEC?

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,053 of 16,074
Maybe consider the Sansa Clip+ or Zip :D. Very compact, easily carried player with expandability via microSD (64GB in mine). It has a good reputation for low output impedance (no loss in bass) and pretty decent power at lower impedance, unless you're trying to drive some headphones with 200+ohms of impedance. Plus many many other benefits too much to list here.

Most importantly, it's dirt cheap (~50USD) compared to other higher end players with similar audio specifications, easily being the best value for money player if you can live with its quirks.

Personally it's delivering pretty good sound through my CI/DTEC/WBFK combo at the moment.

Also to be sure, have you actually got a good sound with your laptop when using either of your DIY IEMs? I find it strange that there can be such a great difference just changing to the amp... My laptop has slightly greater bass than my Clip Zip, but nothing as muddy as you've described when changing sources/amps.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #2,054 of 16,074
My laptop definitely gives fatter bass. I believe its tuned this way. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #2,055 of 16,074
Anyone try and use a negative impression of an earmold as part of a measurement setup. Seems to me this would be the best way of tuning an iem. The trick is knowing the distance/volume from the ottoblock to the eardrum. But it could allow for optimization for differences in left/right earsize and shape. I was thinking about using silicone from smooth on to make a cast of the impression and then attaching a piece of tubing to the end to make up for the rest of the gap. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back