Home-Made IEMs
Apr 10, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #15,931 of 15,984
Also, I use 1mmID tubing with a yellow damper. The smaller sized diameter will also not require much of an l-pad as it will squash the mids and highs peak(s). I usually just use a single series resistor in place of the l-pad. The l-pad I HAVE to implement when using the sonion 33 or even the knowles CI. Sonion 38’s with ferrofluid do not require too much tuning as they have such a natural slope.
Okay ,thank you . Today ill put small Tube and 10 value resister . 🙌

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #15,932 of 15,984
Hey guys,
I have an issue with my desing for my IEMs . For some reason I don't have any bass with this design (the red line is the dd that I want to use it for bass). I know that I need to add and dumper but for some reason the bass without anything is mushy. There my be a problem with the dd?
Tubes diameter is 2 mm(I think I will make them 2.1 to allow me to add dumpers)
Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong?
1713018164745.png
1713018154766.png

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #15,933 of 15,984
Hey guys,
I have an issue with my desing for my IEMs . For some reason I don't have any bass with this design (the red line is the dd that I want to use it for bass). I know that I need to add and dumper but for some reason the bass without anything is mushy. There my be a problem with the dd?
1713018164745.png1713018154766.png
being a dynamic driver, you have to take into account how different they are from armatures. I would say its either a resistance issue causing the DD to not get enough signal OR when the tubes were pulled through, it got pinched. Get a component tester and test for signal at every pad.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #15,934 of 15,984
being a dynamic driver, you have to take into account how different they are from armatures. I would say its either a resistance issue causing the DD to not get enough signal OR when the tubes were pulled through, it got pinched. Get a component tester and test for signal at every pad.
The tubes are made from resin, they are not soft tubes.
What component tester do you recommend(can I use a multimeter)?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #15,936 of 15,984
Hey guys,
1713018164745.png1713018154766.png
From what I see you have a front-volume vent going to the top, this is why you got no bass, you need to partially block the vent with damper and vent the back volume of the DD at the same time

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #15,937 of 15,984
From what I see you have a front-volume vent going to the top, this is why you got no bass, you need to partially block the vent with damper and vent the back volume of the DD at the same time
Tried to cover the hole and still no base
I don't think that's the issue,
I tried to measure the dd only and the graph looks like this(only the dd is connected to the wire no other driver are connected in parallel, this is the driver https://huayunxin.net/product/huayunxin-dd-ht10). Something is off with the driver or the cable that I use, but I don't think the cable is the issue here(it's a kz 0.78 pin cable)
1713197125861.png

Do you know what are this pads for, or what they do and what I need to solder to them?

1713197448814.png

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #15,938 of 15,984
I tried to measure the dd only and the graph looks like this(only the dd is connected to the wire no other driver are connected in parallel, this is the driver https://huayunxin.net/product/huayunxin-dd-ht10). Something is off with the driver or the cable that I use, but I don't think the cable is the issue here(it's a kz 0.78 pin cable)
1713197125861.png
Do you know what are this pads for, or what they do and what I need to solder to them?

1713197448814.png
Wire the whole circuit, including all components. Reverse the polarity on the Dynamic and standard connections to the armatures. Be sure ever driver in connected directly back to whatever connector you have chosen (mmcx, 2-pin, etc). Now, test polarity of the connected pads. Also, due to the amount of what looks like possible excessive THD and a lower observed SPL, you maybe dealing with some potential solder damage. Easy to do on these devices if you’re using an iron with a wider temperature tolerance. If you have an additional dynamic, wire it and test it as your standard response curve. Last thing, Ive had Knowles graphs be a little off here and there. But, I cant remember a single sonion driver where the tested eq graph came even the smallest bit similar to their lab charts. Your best bet at this point, is to cut bait if you another driver to test and insire proper functionality.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #15,939 of 15,984
1713197125861.png

1713197448814.png
clearly there's sound leak, you just have to find where.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #15,940 of 15,984
Use a piece of 1/4 or 6mm tubing, maybe 2ft long. Put an eartip on one end, use the other end to locate the air leak by pointing to different locations. Connect the shell nozzle to a bottle and squeeze slowly, or use some other method to gently pressurize with air. You will find it.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #15,941 of 15,984
Use a piece of 1/4 or 6mm tubing, maybe 2ft long. Put an eartip on one end, use the other end to locate the air leak by pointing to different locations. Connect the shell nozzle to a bottle and squeeze slowly, or use some other method to gently pressurize with air. You will find it.
The sound thief works...I have a pic of mine somewhere in here..

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #15,942 of 15,984
1713197125861.png

1713197448814.png
@piotrus-g is spot on. You could also have a leak between the IEM and the testing microphone. That can also give you a false reading.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #15,943 of 15,984

Here is the testing microphone and adapter I have used for years, to test out custom IEMs. Dennie Miller has been an awesome resource and extremely helpful with an question or product support issues. Hands down would recommend him and his business to anyone. He also sells Smaart software. But, REW is still my go to software for ease of use. The adapter with this testing kit has a rubber gasket that stretches and holds firm to custom shell, eliminating thd need for the use if blue tack or any equivalent. Was a gamechanger for my development and growth. Thanks to @piotrus-g for setting me straight when I didnt realize the VALUE of such equipment.

https://www.millerai.com/shop/p/iem-measurement-bundle

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #15,945 of 15,984
Here is the testing microphone and adapter I have used for years, to test out custom IEMs. Dennie Miller has been an awesome resource and extremely helpful with an question or product support issues. Hands down would recommend him and his business to anyone. He also sells Smaart software. But, REW is still my go to software for ease of use. The adapter with this testing kit has a rubber gasket that stretches and holds firm to custom shell, eliminating thd need for the use if blue tack or any equivalent. Was a gamechanger for my development and growth. Thanks to @piotrus-g for setting me straight when I didnt realize the VALUE of such equipment.

https://www.millerai.com/shop/p/iem-measurement-bundle
O don't think I will buy something that expensive for a project that is for myself only. But is good to know for feature if I want to make another pair of IEM's. Maybe that time I will choose better drivers and get more info regarding the drivers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back