Home-Made IEMs
Jan 20, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,581 of 15,996
guys, what is the material used to make the hard shell? (aside from the UV cure-able resin)

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #1,583 of 15,996

Glycerin

I don't think glycerine is an organic solvent. The inhibition layer forms on the part that is in contact with the atmosphere.
Glycerine is used to provide an atmosphere free environment(i suspect it's probably due to oxygen or smth) so the inhibition layer does not form. That's why some companies use a machine that cures the shell in an inert gas atmosphere to prevent the formation of this sticky layer.

You can try ethanol or lighter fluid.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,584 of 15,996
Originally Posted by Cryok95 /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I don't think glycerine is an organic solvent. The inhibition layer forms on the part that is in contact with the atmosphere. Glycerine is used to provide an atmosphere free environment(i suspect it's probably due to oxygen or smth) so the inhibition layer does not form. That's why some companies use a machine that cures the shell in an inert gas atmosphere to prevent the formation of this sticky layer. You can try ethanol or lighter fluid.

Glycerin is, in fact, organic. I don't know whether it'll solvate the layer better than other solvents, but it is definitely an organic solvent by definition, and is less polar than most linear chain alcohols.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #1,585 of 15,996

Glycerin is, in fact, organic. I don't know whether it'll solvate the layer better than other solvents, but it is definitely an organic solvent by definition, and is less polar than most linear chain alcohols.

Hmm okay that i did not know. I just thought it was some sort of water based emollient. Well, this explains quite a bit.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,588 of 15,996
Uff... I went through the entire thread. Interesting. I will search for more information on particular topics on the web.

However, one questions still bothers me - I understand that one BA may be lounder from another BA in the bass region, that one may balance the sound between woofer and tweeter if there is a diference in loudness, but how one can change the way a given woofer/tweeter sounds like i.e. how come one IEM has a tight and punchy bass with quick attack and the second has a slow, dynamic like bass? Can this sound characteristics of a woofer be changed? Or simply one has to take proper BA which means that altough one BA has similar graph in bass region in comparison to other BA they can have far way diferent type of bass?
Can someone please explain this to me?

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #1,589 of 15,996
From my understanding bass quantity and quality can be determined by a number of factors including tube length and diameter, with a narrow diameter being preferred. Also venting, filters (dampers), number of drivers, size of drivers, and crossover points factor in as well. Don't have much experience in experimenting with these though, just based on some extensive research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back