Home Entertainment 2007 NYC - Impressions
May 18, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #106 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome! One regret I have from the int'l meet was not sitting down to hear your reel to reel. I sure hope you bring it to another meet. Have you checked out the August meet thread? See you next time.

Hopefully it won't be the first choice in the poll. The San Jose Jazz Festival is that weekend. Otherwise I probably will. My Zana Deux is burned in now too. It was just one day old at the international. I should have the production tapes by that time too. So it will be an identical Technics, and the same repo amp ( but with better tubes )as the TAD room > Zana> AT ad2000. I'm loaning my ad2000's to the guy that started the Tape Project but they should ( or better ) be back by August.

May 18, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #107 of 114
Yeah I checked prices on audigon a couple days ago and there were two sets of 7s. One pair on auction for 11k and one pair for 16.5k. I dunno what the original MSRP was but vs the price of the 8s seemed like a great deal.

May 20, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #108 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I checked prices on audigon a couple days ago and there were two sets of 7s. One pair on auction for 11k and one pair for 16.5k. I dunno what the original MSRP was but vs the price of the 8s seemed like a great deal.

the originals were ~$22k, iirc.

May 20, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #109 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that I think about it after a few days my favorite setup was in the Merlin room. Reasonable size and reasonable power to drive them too.

call me biased, but this is a good choice. for a very high end product it has a real world factor to it. useable gear that can do some really neat things!

May 22, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #111 of 114
Meh I despise driving plus I already have a serviceable car that will last at least another 5-10 years and cars depreciate at least as hard if not far harder than hifi ;p So yeah no biggy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #112 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is just a brief recap of some of the rooms there. I was suprised by some of the mediocre sound coming from many of the rooms.
I was not at all impressed with the Cabasse room while the speakers looked cool the sound did not get instrument tone tone right.
I really wanted to like the Zu room as their speakers look so cool. When we walked in they were playing a typical "audiophile" cd and they souned good as soon as they switched to rock (Led Zep) the sound went out the window. THey got really compressed, if all I listened to was small combo jazz then these might be a good choice but not with rock.
We then ran by the Salagar room, I think it was them, they had the odd shaped speakers with amps built in. They were not good at all and sounded a bit like I remember 80s Cerewin Vegas sounding.
The Talon speaker room with the wadia 581i sounded good. I may have been the only one to enjoy the untreated room better at it had a more lively sound, to me the treated room sounded way overdampened and somwhat dead. Both sounded good but I beleive you can take room treatments too far.
The Arum Acoustics room for me was best in show. The way that speaker and amp combo delievered the sound stage was incedible. Any veil that exists normally was totally removed and the performers were in the room with you. We heard a BB king and Clapton track that mad me beleive they were right in front of you. This speaker/amp combo is outstanding and extreme. The amp tri-amps the speakers with a 300b and 6sn7(?) for each mid range driver and tweeter and then there is a 100 watt solid state section for the bass drivers. It may be the best way to spend 30k in audio.
The TAD room was second best room for me at the show mabe tied for first. The BE speakers and crazy amps sounded so full and lifelike. When they played the Dave Alvin track from the reel to reel tape produced by the tape project it was worth the price of admission right there. I am now off to spend some cash on a reel to reel.
We heard the Gershman acoustics speakers and they did not get the music right the only good seat was in the sweet spot and their tone was completely off. Ping played his violin/piano torture track and they instruments just sounded wrong.When the same track was played in the RedWine/Omega room it was tonally much better.
The MBL room was great their gear was awesome with most everything they threw at it until they tried to rock out with the Who. Man if they had jsut stuck to classical and jazz, the system did wierd things to Who are You, the drums were totally lost in the mix and Daltrey's screams were set way back in the sound stage.
The Krell room much to my suprise sounded really good. They are playing around with an ipod interface the Krell Kid that looked great if not a bit pricey at $1200. We heard tracks from it and they reference Krell cdp and the ipod did ok.
There were other rooms but those were the ones that stuck out in my head. Although the most fun room was the RedWine Audio room and Omega speaker room. Those guys know how to have fun and make great sound. THe gear in that room cost less than the speaker cables in most others and they held their own. The sound of the Sig 70 monoblocks pumping out sound to the Omega Max hemps was outstanding. Not as good as the Aurum room but at one tenth the price they held their own.

The best part of the meet was hanging with the troublemakers from the National Meet Voltron, Tyrion and Immtbiker and family. Aaron's family is great from his youngest son on up they all seem to appreciate great sound. The night before was fun running around to some of my favorite beer bars in NYC.

Hi guys;

I'm a little late reading this thread, but I've noticed several very positive comments posted on the Aurum Acoustics system. Although I was not at the NYC show, I can understand why some of you loved this system. I know the company president/chief designer very well, and I’ve heard the full system many, many times. I’ve purchased the Integris CDP (the front-end component portion of the complete Aurum system) to serve as the focal point for my predominantly two-channel A/V system. It's a truly amazing front-end CD transport/preamp.

My reason for posting to this thread is to inform all serious Head-Fi'ers that Aurum's Integris CDP front-end is now available with a custom-built internal headphone amplifier module. I believe my unit actually received the first installation! Being able to connect directly within a super front-end, eliminating a set of ICs and a power cord otherwise needed for an outboard unit, I truly doubt if anyone has heard a more transparent and musically truthful headphone amp than this one. I’ve used it to drive both the AKG K701’s and the Sennheiser HD-650’s, and the results are stellar. Through this system, the music is so life-like I tend to forget that I’m actually listening to headphones!
3000smile.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #113 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by integriscdp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys;

I'm a little late reading this thread, but I've noticed several very positive comments posted on the Aurum Acoustics system. Although I was not at the NYC show, I can understand why some of you loved this system. I know the company president/chief designer very well, and I’ve heard the full system many, many times. I’ve purchased the Integris CDP (the front-end component portion of the complete Aurum system) to serve as the focal point for my predominantly two-channel A/V system. It's a truly amazing front-end CD transport/preamp.

My reason for posting to this thread is to inform all serious Head-Fi'ers that Aurum's Integris CDP front-end is now available with a custom-built internal headphone amplifier module. I believe my unit actually received the first installation! Being able to connect directly within a super front-end, eliminating a set of ICs and a power cord otherwise needed for an outboard unit, I truly doubt if anyone has heard a more transparent and musically truthful headphone amp than this one. I’ve used it to drive both the AKG K701’s and the Sennheiser HD-650’s, and the results are stellar. Through this system, the music is so life-like I tend to forget that I’m actually listening to headphones!
3000smile.gif

So, is this commercially available and how much is the CDP w/headamp? It is a very exciting prospect if the headamp is a quality addition. That system was incredible as I posted earlier in this thread. Thanks for the info, and PLEASE post up some pics of your CDP in the source forum! NOW!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #114 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is this commercially available and how much is the CDP w/headamp? It is a very exciting prospect if the headamp is a quality addition. That system was incredible as I posted earlier in this thread. Thanks for the info, and PLEASE post up some pics of your CDP in the source forum! NOW!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hello Voltron;

Thanks for your inquiry. If you’re interested in the Integris CDP unit, I strongly suggest you call Derrick Moss @ Aurum Acoustics to discuss what he can do for you. The MSRP of the Integris CDP is $12,000 USD, and I think the HeadAmp option will be about $750 USD (the pricing of the HeadAmp option is less than either the interconnect or power cord I used on my previous HeadAmp and sounds MUCH better). Also, there is a phono stage module hotly under development for the CDP as well and it’ll be a few months before the official introductions and announcements of either. In the meantime, if someone called Derrick for a CDP with a HeadAmp option, I know they can have it now and in maybe not too long the phono section too. I don’t know the phono section details too well but either I can find out and PM you back or better yet, you make direct contact yourself.

Derrick's contact info:
dmoss@aurumacoustics.com

P.S. I've started a new system component thread for the Integris CDP with a couple of images attached. Unfortunately, the image size limits on this fine website are rather low, and I currently don't have them hosted elsewhere to allow higher rez viewing. If you'd like higher rez copies of the photos, please forward your direct email address, and I'd be happy to forward them.

Regards,

Trevor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back