Home Amps: Price/Performance Ratio?
Apr 4, 2008 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

shomie911

500+ Head-Fier
*I previously started a thread but my requirements have changed so I decided to start a new thread.*

As stated in the title I am looking for the greatest Price to Performance ratio.

I will be using Beyer DT880's (250 ohm '05). I listen to a variety of music ranging from Large Orchestral pieces, Classical, Instrumental Soundtracks, Alternative rock, Metal, and Hardcore. I listen to each an almost equal amount of time.

EDIT: I currently have a Minibox-E and I love how moving, and emotional Horns and Violins sound on the DT880's.
I'm hoping by upgrading my amp that the sound will be even more emotionally charged and involving.

I'm not interested in buying a tube amp because I'm looking for a read-to-go solution that will require little to no maintenance for its entire life span.

I've heard that Meier amps supposedly have great synergy with the DT880's but the RSA XP-7 has been recieved well by the few people who have reviewed it. It also benefits from op-amp rolling. Replacing the stock op-amp with the AD797 supposedly puts the XP-7 in the same league as the RSA HR-2.

EDIT: I added the Gilmore Lite after reading that it also worked well with the DT880's.

Here's the options I am currently considering:

- Meier Audio Arietta
$290.00

- Meier Audio Corda Cantate
$570.00

- RSA Emmeline XP-7
$495.00

- Gilmore Lite Headphone Amp
$379.00

NEW
- Little Dot MK V "Dual-Mono" Headphone Amp (Solid State)
$299.00

Give me an idea of what each has to offer and what offers the most performance for the least money.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 23
^

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 23
I have owned three of the four amps, not at the same time though. I am not a critical listener like many here, so my impressions my not be as detailed as you want.

Price/Performance
Cantate 80%/95%
Arietta 90%/75%
Gilmore Lite 75%/80%

The Arietta does not have the same top end extension as the Cantate or the Gilmore Lite, it is more liquid and does not have the top end sparkle. Everything sounds close to you, bass does not have the same definition as the Cantate and Gilmore lite. Bass sounds a bit muddy on the edges. It does not have much spacing between sound sources. Mids sounds equal to the Gilmore lite.

Gilmore lite. Sounds more dynamic than the Arietta, soundstage is average, bass sounds larger with better definition, but there is a void in the middle of the soundstage. This may just be my equipment setup and brain. Mids sounds very good, but nothing to get excited about.

Cantate, sounds liquid but with good clarity and definition, it also has that top end sparkle. Bass is defined, huge and controlled, but it does not over power the mids and highs. I am very impressed with this amp. I was expecting it to sound just a little better than the Areitta but it sounds a lot better. It also sounds better than my Supermicro IV and Supermacro IV LE, but these two amps are portable so I don't think it's fair to compare.

Goodluck on your amp hunt!
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 23
So the Cantate, from your description, seems to be leagues ahead of the others.

Is there any other great solid-state amps (widened my search to include tube amps...maybe) I missed in the $300-600 range?

Remember I will be using this new amp with my Beyer DT880s for the forseable future, unless there is a headphone for a relatively reasonable price that offers a significant boost in detail and/or transparency or another audio characteristic.

EDIT:
And although I had previously ruled out tube amps, is there a tube amp that will give more performance for the same price as a solid-state amp?

I enjoy high levels of detail and transparency in my music, would a tube amp achieve this?

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 23
Interesting thread...
I also like to know about these amps.

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 23
I added the Little Dot MK V to the list.

I'd also like to say that my source will most likely be my home pc and a Keces DA-151 USB DAC

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 23
You may want to look at the Original Master amp. I have one with the DT880's and they're a great match - also, IMO they're the best value you can find in terms of home amps.

Also, don't forget the class-A Firestone Audio or Travangan amps, which have a great price/performance ratio.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As stated in the title I am looking for the greatest Price to Performance ratio.

I will be using Beyer DT880's (250 ohm '05). I listen to a variety of music ranging from Large Orchestral pieces, Classical, Instrumental Soundtracks, Alternative rock, Metal, and Hardcore. I listen to each an almost equal amount of time.

Give me an idea of what each has to offer and what offers the most performance for the least money.

If you're really wanting to save money, the two best options are used and DIY. Used amps will usually save you 50% or more and DIY will save you 75%-90% over new commercial offerings. You do not shortchange yourself with DIY, either. The designs are usually on the cutting edge and you can seriously upgrade the components, as well.

For used, the For Sale Forum usually has a nice selection of amps.

For DIY, one of the best resources is Glass Jar Audio (Glass Jar Audio). Something very good, like a Bijou or Beta22 is in your price range. There is plenty of advice and help in the DIY Forum, as well.

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're really wanting to save money, the two best options are used and DIY. Used amps will usually save you 50% or more and DIY will save you 75%-90% over new commercial offerings. You do not shortchange yourself with DIY, either. The designs are usually on the cutting edge and you can seriously upgrade the components, as well.

For used, the For Sale Forum usually has a nice selection of amps.

For DIY, one of the best resources is Glass Jar Audio (Glass Jar Audio). Something very good, like a Bijou or Beta22 is in your price range. There is plenty of advice and help in the DIY Forum, as well.

I had looked at Glass Jar Audio previously and I had my eye on a 3-channel Beta22.

Problem is I've never done any DIY projects.

I've heard that doing the Beta22 as a first time project can lead to a lot of problems.

I'm sure I could figure out how to do it, but I wouldn't want to risk messing up my investment.

Too bad there's nobody who'd build it for cheap.

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't wanna hijack your thread but is it possible to buy Beta22 as final finished project ???

I think the only way you could buy a finished Beta22 is through Rockhopper Audio or by buying used.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 23
You don't want to overlook the Graham Slee Solo, if you can find one used for a good price, or can spring for the one with the SMPS walwart power supply (which reportedly sounds identical to the PSU1). May be close to the top of your range, but "worth every penny."

Of course... if you're a DIYer... then by all means "solder up" a B22 from AMB

The β22 Stereo Amplifier

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 23
I agree with uncle Erik....look for a DIY or used. You can typically find a DIY amp for sale in the FS forum. Also, contact a well known DIYer here on the forum to see what their prices are. You'll be surprised what they are compared to commercial offerings.

And if you want a pretty case, you just have to ask for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back