Holy Schiit! Add DSD to any DAC for $149. Meet Loki...
Oct 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #76 of 136
But it is useless for people who have all in one DAC/Amp combo such as Audio-gd NFB 11.32 or Woo Audio WA7 for example? Am I right ?

If your DAC/amp combo has USB and analog, it should work fine.  You just need to use to USB outputs from the computer

computer  --> loki --> dac/amp combo --> cans
       |                             ^
       +------------------------+

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #77 of 136
So, I hear people mentioning SACD ripping.  How do you do it? 
L3000.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #79 of 136
So, I hear people mentioning SACD ripping.  How do you do it? :L3000:

There is a very specific version of firmware for the Sony play station 3 that makes ripping the SACD DSD layer possible. The problem is any PS3 that was updated beyond that version cannot be downgraded to run the right version :frowning2:

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #80 of 136
Surf out here:  https://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/

As stated, only certain firmware work, specifically older or equal to 3.55, and apparently units with newer firmware can NOT be downgraded.

The PS3 libraries then need to be "tweaked"  after which you install the "game" from the link above.  The tweaking is not terribly difficult, but not for the faint of heart.  There are many tutorials if you search the web which give you a step-by-step.

If anyone wants to know/see more or get a disc THAT THEY OWN FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE ripped and are in E. NC (Raleigh-Durham area) then please pmail me and I'll be happy to help out.

Cheers - Frank

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #81 of 136
Thanks for the info, guys!!  Sounds like an interesting project... but I'm afraid I don't have the time for it now.

So, DSD will have to wait... :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #82 of 136
Still very curious about the Loki... :)

The schiit site says you can convert to DSD on the fly using jriver or foobar (for PC).  Has anyone tried it?  Did you find a difference (compared to your PCM DAC)?

[]s
Walfredo

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #83 of 136
I've listened to the same DSD files direct through the Loki, converted using software (PureMusic, Audirvana, jRiver), and direct to another DSD capable DAC.  At some point the comparison become more of a comparison between the DACs themselves instead of a comparison of DSD direct vs. software conversion.  There just isn't a way to take a lot of the variables out of the comparison to really be able to narrow down what you're comparing because you're mixing in different hardware into the test.

There are several articles like this out there offering comparisons, but it's easy to start picking apart the process... so take it for what it's worth.
http://www.ayre.com/insights_dsdvspcm.htm

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #85 of 136
Hello,

I'm building a dedicated audio server with Mac MIni i7 2,6 16Go, JRiver and iPad with JRemote converting PCM to DSD. I experience a click (or glitch or pop, not sure about the term) just before the song begins. I've tried most of the options in JRiver but the best I managed to achieve is put some seconds length between the click and the song.

Does any one have please the correct options in JRiver to suppress these clicks?

Thanks for helping.
Regards

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #86 of 136
Hello,

I'm building a dedicated audio server with Mac MIni i7 2,6 16Go, JRiver and iPad with JRemote converting PCM to DSD. I experience a click (or glitch or pop, not sure about the term) just before the song begins. I've tried most of the options in JRiver but the best I managed to achieve is put some seconds length between the click and the song.

Does any one have please the correct options in JRiver to suppress these clicks?

Thanks for helping.
Regards

Here's what Jason said earlier in the thread:

actually the "pop" when starting up a stream is a known issue with many, many DSD DACs. This is why JRiver and other players have the option to "Play silence on startup for hardware synchronization" and "Play a little silence on stop." 

It's a computer-based issue. We don't have the problem on any of our Mac installs, nor on any of our current test PC installations, even without those options enabled, but some systems will need it.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #90 of 136
I see the Loki supports DSD64 only and not DSD128, which at this price is totally reasonable.
I would be interested in Schiit's take on DSD128?

Ah, found their take in the FAQ here: http://schiit.com/products/loki

What about DSD128 and DSD256 and DXD and other audiophile unicorn formats out there? We hear you, but first, let’s see if those unicorn formats ever get more than, say, 27 recordings available. Recordings that people want to listen to, that is. If that happens, there’s no reason we can’t make a bigger badder add-on box with, say, DSD 2X and balanced in/out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back