Holy Schiit! Add DSD to any DAC for $149. Meet Loki...
Sep 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #46 of 136
you and Rem0o are correct, sorry

it's a semi passthrough i guess LOL.  your PCM DAC will still be plugged into the computer to receive input, that's the part i wasn't getting, but you can "pass" the DAC output signal through the Loki to get access to the push button thing rather than using software to switch, which is the part that confounded me.  i guess it makes sense for those of us that have one input on our amps.

my bad, in fairness it's a confusing little box.... :wink:

Haha yeah, when I first saw the announcement on John darko's page I was a bit confused, had to go read and look at pictures at the schiit site to get it figured out

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #48 of 136
  on the back of Loki, there is a usb and the connection is only for RCA..
I am using Gungnir and Moljnir with balance cables... so where i stand?

rgds

If you want to use this you'll have to either:
  1. Not use balanced cables, and hook it up as Gungnir -> Loki -> Mjolnir
  2. Leave Gungnir -> Mjolnir as balanced, and hook up Loki -> Mjolnir unbalanced. You won't be able to push the button on Loki to switch between the two, and might have to plug in / unplug sources when you want to switch (not sure what Mjolnir would do with both plugged in at once).

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #49 of 136
Some of you folks are really really dense.   Hookup and use of the Loki is  simple
rolleyes.gif
   If you want to use it just push the front panel button, if you want to bypass it just push the front panel button.  How simple and convenient is that?  
What I would now like from Schiit is a two or three input  device switcher so I can use my SACD collection without having to switch cables.  Now THAT would be a must buy for me especially at $149.00.   Jason?  Mike?  

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #50 of 136
  What I would now like from Schiit is a two or three input  device switcher so I can use my SACD collection without having to switch cables.  Now THAT would be a must buy for me especially at $149.00.   Jason?  Mike?  

How about at $49? Just teasing, for the moment, but if we did something like that, it would be a $49 product, not $149. Even if it had two inputs and a volume control for a mini passive pre.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #53 of 136
Sep 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #55 of 136
  I already have a cheap switch that works fine.  I just wouldn't mind something that matches my stack in appearance.

Yeah, same here.   Wonder what it would look like.   Same chassis like the Modi and Magni?   Would be nice if it could fit on top of my Uberfrost.   I don't have any device switcher yet so I'm kinda hoping Jason will make one available.   Soon.

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #56 of 136

1. Leave Gungnir -> Mjolnir as balanced, and hook up Loki -> Mjolnir unbalanced. You won't be able to push the button on Loki to switch between the two, and might have to plug in / unplug sources when you want to switch (not sure what Mjolnir would do with both plugged in at once).

disappointed...
 with everything in balance mode...
 now have to go unbalance inorder to test DSD playback...
switch between source is also not ideal...

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #59 of 136
Schiit doesn't believe in DSD, yet in response to their customers clamoring for a format that very few people use (or can use), they give them the world's cheapest DSD DAC that can integrate into most computer based systems so people can try out DSD without spending $900+ to do so. 

Kudos to Schiit, and Seriously? to everyone who can't figure out what this is and/or is complaining about what this isn't.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #60 of 136
  Schiit doesn't believe in DSD, yet in response to their customers clamoring for a format that very few people use (or can use), they give them the world's cheapest DSD DAC that can integrate into most computer based systems so people can try out DSD without spending $900+ to do so. 

Kudos to Schiit, and Seriously? to everyone who can't figure out what this is and/or is complaining about what this isn't.

DING DING DING DING!

And on the upside, it sounds really good--much better than the DSD/PCM DACs we have on hand (which shall remain unnamed, so please don't bother asking: schiit.com/about/principles.) Of course, that is biased marketing from a shill manufacturer, so feel free to disregard. However, even technically, there's a huge advantage to doing DSD *only*, so Loki really performs way, way beyond its price. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back