Holy $%#@!!! My Grados...need some help-
Nov 12, 2005 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I was listening to some Dream Theater last night when I noticed a little crackle or fuzz in my right ear driver.
Thought nothing of it and went out for the evening.
Got home and put em on to listen to some Philip Glass (violin concerto) and noticed that more violin was in my left ear than my right!
Could be the recording...but now I feel like everything is kind of "left side" biased. Either ive lost my mind, or there is really something wrong.
Should I just send them in...is there a warranty on Grados?
I always just thought these babies would be invinceable!

Is there any technical way to properly check balance?

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 22
You could try opening up the side that distorts.Check the driver itself for dents in the ridges and the like and for hair too.And while you are at it,take a few photos of the driver and post them here.
I want to see how the grado drivers look from the front.

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Is there any technical way to properly check balance?

Put them on backwards and see if the problem switches, and also get your interconnects and switch right for left (assuming you can do so).

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav
Put them on backwards and see if the problem switches, and also get your interconnects and switch right for left (assuming you can do so).

No can do with Grados...
I just tried with my Ipod Buds and noticed a similar effect, so im either:
1)Losing my mind and its a psychological thing now
2)The recording is bad-cause I feel like im only noticing it with classical (too much violin in my left ear)
3)Something physically wrong with me; i.e. ear infection, ear clogged, fell down a flight of stairs as a small child
blink.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
4) Perhaps there is a problem with the source you are using to playback the music.

Ive tried numerous sources.

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
search " grattle "

I dont think its grattle...they just sound wrong.
Should I send them in?
Is there a warranty on these?

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

I dont think its grattle...they just sound wrong.
Should I send them in?
Is there a warranty on these?

1 year from the date of purchase with receipt.

Quote:

1)Losing my mind and its a psychological thing now
2)The recording is bad-cause I feel like im only noticing it with classical (too much violin in my left ear)

I think its either of those. Maybe try playing it in mono and see if it still does it.

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Got home and put em on to listen to some Philip Glass (violin concerto) and noticed that more violin was in my left ear than my right!
Could be the recording...but now I feel like everything is kind of "left side" biased.

For some reason lots of classical recordings (at least those I own) have more highs on the left channel and more bass on the right. I have no idea why this is...

Also my left ear seems to hear better than my left ; use your speakers and turn your head so your right ear is facing them. Does the sound seem more bassy with your right ear than your left?

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 22
I haven't heard the recording you're listening to, but I can say that when facing an Orchestra from the position of the audience, Violins are seated on the left. Celli, Violas and Double Basses are on the right. I'd expect more Violin in my left ear... I'd expect more "bass" in my right ear...

-Patrick

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueCan
I haven't heard the recording you're listening to, but I can say that when facing an Orchestra from the position of the audience, Violins are seated on the left. Celli, Violas and Double Basses are on the right. I'd expect more Violin in my left ear... I'd expect more "bass" in my right ear...

-Patrick

thats an excellent point

Nov 12, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueCan

-Patrick

thats very interesting...new to classical, did not know that.
Do any of you have "Violin Concerto" performed by Adele Anthony?
Or, Minimalists-London Chamber Orchestra (various comps: Reich, Adam, Glass)?
If you do, please take a listen for me and let me know if you feel the violin to be more prevalent in the left ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back