Holy $%#@!!! My Grados...need some help-
Nov 13, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
thats very interesting...new to classical, did not know that.
Do any of you have "Violin Concerto" performed by Adele Anthony?
Or, Minimalists-London Chamber Orchestra (various comps: Reich, Adam, Glass)?
If you do, please take a listen for me and let me know if you feel the violin to be more prevalent in the left ear.

Yep, Bluecan is right. I think you should go to a concert hall sometime in the near future and see and listen to a full orchestra. The bass is from the right, and the highs are more on the left side of the scenario.

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #17 of 22
The easiest way to find out if the channels are in fact inbalanced is to play a mono recording trought it. (already mentioned above I believe.)
I had a channel inbalance problem with RS-1s and the way I figured it out for sure is that I could blindly tell what was the right channel no matter how I put the headphones on my head. (i.e. left channel to right ear etc.) It's easy to test it blind with grados because the cups are and feel identical and you just have to close your eyes and have someone else put the headphones on your head so you don't know where the left driver is.

Grado has great service and fixed my RS-1s.
smily_headphones1.gif
So don't worry about that. Just make sure there really is a problem first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #18 of 22
.5 matched tolerance? i am so sick of grados breaking! mr. grado can't you do us better for these prices you charge? i feel like we are all being taken advantage of! if they work, and continue to work they sound amazing if they are your cup of tea. but too many doa and broken before 2 years is unfair i think! my rs1's are my best grados and they still work after hundreds of hours. knock on wood. but even though they are the best current offering from grado they are just made cheaply. so i hope they stay together. my warranty is over.

music_man.

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #19 of 22
After a long period of listening to music primarily in my car, and then upgrading my headphones (and just doing more headphone listening) I noticed that my perception of balance had adjusted to the car setup. i.e. far from ideal, since the left tweeter is much closer than the right tweeter. So where I had acclimated to the feeling that I was on the left side of the music, my headphones' correct balance made me feel I was more to the right side.

This went away after more headphone listening. I also noticed that my iPod buds felt much more L - R separate / distinct than the PX100s I upgraded to. I only noticed this car off-balance effect once I upgraded to the PX100s.

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #20 of 22
Thanx for all the help guys...
I did everything and came to the conclusion that it was part recording, part in my head.
I now notice this issue only with classical, as explained above by the positioning of the instruments.
Back to Grado bliss...
lambda.gif
thank g-d, nearly had a heart attack there...

Nov 13, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #21 of 22
Yup, as everyone said, violins are on the left in orchestral music.

Download a program like Audacity onto your computer, use it to generate a tone. Then use the balance control to listen to the "mono" tone through just the left channel and then just the right channel. Do they sound different?

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #22 of 22
I usually use a well recorded track with vocals, if they are balanced correctly it should image the lead singer dead center.

sometimes it might just be your ears. One might have better hearing then the other, just flip the cans around to see if its the cans or your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back