Holy *#!*! Did you see the 4X100 Olympics swimming freestyle relay?!!
Aug 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #76 of 114
i, for one, DID complain when googles were invented.

what was so wrong with teh YAHOOS?

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #77 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Psh... the Chinese should be good, drawing from a pool of ten friggin' billion people! (You get my point)

I wonder how did they managed to do it, since at the moment there is only 6 billions people on earth.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #78 of 114
I saw this race and was so excited, my cousin, who i was with at the time, swims some with Lezak and Peirsol, so he was going absolutely nuts. We were at my grandparents new condo/apartment moving them in and I think we woke up all the neighbors on the first night my grandparents stayed there but we were so excited we couldn't have cared less.

25 meters in to the last leg it looked as if Lezak was back in the race, but at the turn it looked like Bernard closed the deal...then WOW!

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #79 of 114
I don't know if this is true, but if Phelps gets 8 gold medals, Speedo will give Phelps $1,000,000! So it is completely reasonable that if Phelps does get 8 golds, than he owes Lezak a Ferrari.

Another topic of concern is that the records are getting shattered by such a huge margin, it is starting to scare me. It is almost as if the old records were from another century. I can't help but think that something is wrong here, but I don't know what it is. I'll keep a positive attitude, but...

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #80 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if this is true, but if Phelps gets 8 gold medals, Speedo will give Phelps $1,000,000! So it is completely reasonable that if Phelps does get 8 golds, than he owes Lezak a Ferrari.

Another topic of concern is that the records are getting shattered by such a huge margin, it is starting to scare me. It is almost as if the old records were from another century. I can't help but think that something is wrong here, but I don't know what it is. I'll keep a positive attitude, but...

Its part suit technology, part training advances, but I think the the bigger part is people are realizing that some things that we're once thought to be impossible in swimming are not.

Record books were re-written after the lycra suits came out, then after googles were invented, etc.

Think back to when people though running a mile under 4 minutes was absolutely impossible, it would put too much strain on the human body. But then Roger Bannister did it, to everyone's shock. Then the next year, numerous people broke it. Now the record it 17 seconds under four minutes.

The new suits help a little to be sure, but the reason that they're getting so much press for shattering world records is because Speedo knew that the world of swimming was about to explode. Many knew swimming was on the verge of taking a giant leap. Speedo capitalized.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #81 of 114
LocoTracks, considering your swimming experience, I quite appreciate your posts.

There is also the pool aspect. Apparently, it's 3m deep instead of 2m, reducing turbulence. Also, the lane buoys are specially designed to help eliminate wake.

Crazy stuff.

&&&&&&&&&&

I suspect that one mill. is hot pocket money compared to what Phelps is going to get in total endorsements.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #82 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by LocoTracks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its part suit technology, part training advances, but I think the the bigger part is people are realizing that some things that we're once thought to be impossible in swimming are not.

Record books were re-written after the lycra suits came out, then after googles were invented, etc.

Think back to when people though running a mile under 4 minutes was absolutely impossible, it would put too much strain on the human body. But then Roger Bannister did it, to everyone's shock. Then the next year, numerous people broke it. Now the record it 17 seconds under four minutes.

The new suits help a little to be sure, but the reason that they're getting so much press for shattering world records is because Speedo knew that the world of swimming was about to explode. Many knew swimming was on the verge of taking a giant leap. Speedo capitalized.

it also appears to me that freestyle technique has evolved a bit. the swimmers appear to get much more of their shoulders up, over and out of the water on each stroke...

or is it just me?

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #83 of 114
I remember reading about the revolutionary suit and how big of a tech advancement it is. But I think it's all in the new training and stretching techniques, which in Phelps/coach's case is top secret.

Let's just hope it's not due to "vitamins"

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #86 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You were obviously not at all familiar with the conflict between the French and US teams, and all the trash talking the French did about how they were going to own the Americans, prior to the race.

You are correct. I know nothing of any smack-talk and could care less about who won a sport I didn't even know was an olympic event. All I saw was one swimmer beat the other guy by about ten inches.

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #87 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you mental!? You were obviously not at all familiar with the conflict between the French and US teams, and all the trash talking the French did about how they were going to own the Americans, prior to the race.

I spent a lot of time trying to find exactly where the French said they were going to "smash the Americans." And found that Alain Bernards quote was actually this:

"Les Américains? Dans la tête, je pense qu'on est plus forts qu'eux."

I'm pretty sure this translates to about "The Americans? In my mind, we are stronger"

Goes to show how the media completely blew this out of proportion.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #89 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it also appears to me that freestyle technique has evolved a bit. the swimmers appear to get much more of their shoulders up, over and out of the water on each stroke...

The Dolphin Kick Give Swimmers Edge.

You know what they say about guys with big feet?
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #90 of 114
That they need big shoes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back