Holy crap!! whats so special about this tube?
Jul 23, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #16 of 20
well if the price of a pair of matched telefunken 12AX7 tubes is anything to go by (they were US$995) then this wouldn't suprise me

apparently they make great tubes and are some of the best in the world (the 12AX7s are said to last 100,000 hours =)

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee
well if the price of a pair of matched telefunken 12AX7 tubes is anything to go by (they were US$995) then this wouldn't suprise me

apparently they make great tubes and are some of the best in the world (the 12AX7s are said to last 100,000 hours =)

CMIIW...are you talking about the TFK ECC801S gold pins?

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl addict
CMIIW...are you talking about the TFK ECC801S gold pins?

I think d-cee means the ECC803s. This tube has a super long life spending, probably too long for a human being to wait to burn it out...

Jul 24, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #19 of 20
Edisonwu...

Those are late 1958 of 1959 as the early 58's had a 45 degree "d" getter...As for the sound, if you have ever heard any other CCa (siemens ) these are sooooooo much more refined. So is the price however. Look up audiotubes.de for a picture and price on the early CCa tubes

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #20 of 20
Problems with realjazzcat are numerous. He's been known to buy cheap tubes, goldplate their pins, and resell them as something they aren't. He will use "original boxes" as props: sometimes the boxes aren't included but are pictured in the auction to drive up the value, while other times the boxes aren't even the correct ones for the tube (wrong vintage, missing flaps with identification, etc.). Notice he only does private auctions these days? He used to do public auctions, but people noticed a trend of the same folks bidding and driving up prices. There's no concrete proof, but shill bidding is a very real possibility. His tubes almost always fetch well above normal market value.

As for the "CCa" he has for auction, it might not even be a CCa (it probably is not). The gold (possibly copper) grid posts is no positive identification as he claims it is. I've had many TFK CCas, E188CC, and E88CC .... the grid post material varies based on vintage, not specific to one designation. As you can see, the tube has no remaining prints left on the glass; realjazzcat basically marketed it as a CCa because CCas fetch far more money.

In all fairness, *some* of the tubes he sells are legit. Consider bidding on his auctions with extreme caution.

Siemens issued many CCa, with the late 50s (exceedingly rare) and early 60s being regarded as the best. I much prefer the Siemens over the Telefunken, but your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back