Holo KTE May Dac
Jun 3, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #31 of 45
I think it's efficacy depends a lot on the settings / DAC. I never got to try HQP w/ Wavelight, but you might like it a lot w/ May. Yes USB direct to May for me. I think some NAA endpoints can handle 1.536M but most don't go that high.

I'm currently using Zenith 3 as Roon core, pointed to HQP processing on my gaming PC. I daily the PC, often doing stuff simultaneously w/ HQP running so it's not ideal for SQ, plus Windows is inherently is pretty 'noisy' for audio. Even in this less than optimal setup, it sounds better to me than direct from Innuos. So I'm hoping a dedicated Linux solution will bring further improvements.

I originally engaged w/ Pareto Audio but ultimately pivoted to pursuing a DIY build. I also considered a M1 Mac Mini which many are successfully using for HQP. But the custom route seems more flexible and fun for tinkering. AS forum has been a huge resource, I've glanced thru many threads there which helped me gauge components and software. Gathered most of the parts already but a good LPS isn't readily available, either long build times or out of stock (Paul Hynes, Keces, Sean Jacobs, etc.) So I'm still waiting/deciding on the power supply to finish the build.

Getting off-topic for a May thread but here is a list of my parts/comments below, in case it's helpful to anyone curious of doing similar. This is simply what I've gathered in research thus far (not first-hand experience), so I invite anyone more knowledgeable to chime in/correct me as needed.

Case: HDPlex H5 - Fanless passive cooling, HDPlex seems to be the most popular, but other options include Streacom, Turemetal, Akasa, etc.

CPU: i9 9900K - Overkill for PCM but wanted headroom to play with DSD which is more CPU intensive w/ certain modulators. Passive cooling also seems limited to 95W CPUs so that limited my options, a lot of the newer gen CPUs are 100W+.

RAM: Apacer 2x8GB - Many recommend Apacer (low latency industrial RAM) as opposed to consumer RAM so I went w/ that. 2x4GB should be plenty but went w/ 2x8GB for headroom because OS like Audiolinux or Euphony have an option of 'ramroot' which moves playback or even entire boot into RAM to avoid disk interaction completely. Can be finnicky but potentially worth trying for SQ w/ proper config.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Designare Z390 - Some Gigabyte boards have what they call a DAC-UP USB port, supposed to be a clean noise-treated output specifically for DAC use. I'm planning to skip a PCIe USB card like JCAT or Pink Faun (for now) since May's USB is supposed to be quite good as-is. So I went for a board that at least has some focus on motherboard USB output, unsure if it's a complete gimmick or not.

Boot Drive: Intel Optane M10 64GB - Apparently it's all about low latencies which Optanes are known for, so it's good to use as an audio OS. 32GB is enough but again went w/ some headroom just in case.

Storage Drive: Samsung 970 2TB - Not sure if there's much consideration on storage specs, but can't go wrong w/ Samsung SSD.

Software: Euphony - Linux based OS tuned for audio/SQ. Similar to Audiolinux but more user-friendly to set up. Reasonable license cost. Runs both Roon core + HQPe (Linux version of HQP).

Cables: Ghent - Maybe unnecessary but picked up some Ghent ATX/CPU/DC cables.

Power: So far I've purchased most of the above except the power supply. At minimum I'll need a DC-ATX converter to use w/ an external LPS. HDPlex offers a relatively cheap converter which is popular, but Taiko just released one though much higher price. As for the LPS, Sean Jacobs or Paul Hynes seem to be the top choices but expensive. Cheaper alternatives would be a Keces P8 or HDPlex. Most seem to agree that the power supply makes the biggest SQ impact in a server so I'm patiently investigating options.

To summarize cost - about $1500 on the PC w/o power. +$600 for HQPe and Euphony license. +$200 on Ghent cabling. And finally +$1000 or so for mid-tier power, much more if stepping up to a Sean Jacobs DC3 or something. So all in all +/- $3300 for the custom server. Not cheap, but cheaper than popular options from Antipodes, Innuos, Aurender, etc. I'd reckon it'll sound as good if not better, for less $. Plus a custom build has the added advantage of total control and modularity to keep up w/ the ever changing digital audio scene.
Just a comment, I find all this interesting and read much about this over on AudioPhileStyle though I don’t understand yet most of what you guys are talking about with your configurations of computer components I’m the one box store bought solution consumer over paying for my computer in a nice looking box however I don’t dwell on it .

I had a Innuos Zenith a couple years ago then later upgraded my server with the addition of the Phoenix , the Zenith being my first server ever I liked what I heard from my ripped music collection.
Could be I need to get out more and explore I guess , i feel bit of being a outcast not streaming my music yet however I have access to a lot of music free I’m currently working on my 2nd TB of storage.
Anyway playback sounds darn good using the Holo May KTE dac in the mix and with the avalanche of dacs on the market to choose from so far I’m very much happy with my Holo Audio dac.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #32 of 45
Finally for anyone interested I found plugging the May dac into a power conditioner has a negative effect on the sound which basically held back performance , whether this is specific only to the brand I use I did find a reviewer whom uses the same Ac conditioner , with out much elaborating he commented he preferred the May KTE plugged directly into the wall.
He did mention a mildly tipped up treble which I found being the case also , it was a little annoying especially with some not all vocals ,,

I did borrow a Furutech passive distribution box and for what ever reasons this helped tremendously, Whatever you may have your May plugged into do some experimenting for any changes in performance.
I have found an across the board improvement with the May first noticing a stand out improvement with acoustic spaces of well recorded live performances , timbre and tone with well recorded vocals is just fabulous now so on and so forth ,.I’ll be keeping the Holo Audio dac ..

Attachments

• 9647A7BB-E24B-44DC-9EB8-4B6C08AC7D8B.jpeg
    9647A7BB-E24B-44DC-9EB8-4B6C08AC7D8B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • D922C1BE-3179-4D07-82E6-B0071B7DD2B7.jpeg
    D922C1BE-3179-4D07-82E6-B0071B7DD2B7.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 7, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #33 of 45
Just got my May! Earlier than expected delivery!

What firmware are you guys on? 30.14 or 30.12? Can't seem to get 30.12 to work on my pc.. So limited to 768pcm with the 30.14 firmware.

Odd issue.. I have no problems sending hqplayer upsampled 768khz music to the May directly via USB, but if it goes through the Hermes and then via i2s to the May, the sample rate is showing half on the May ie 384khz. On the hermes it is showing the correct value ie 768.

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #34 of 45
Been quiet here for almost 2 months... Any other thread for the Holo May DAC?

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #35 of 45
Hi All, I'm hoping to get some advice on whether the following is feasible/advisable. Would it be possible to connect 2 amps to the Holo May?
The following configurations:
1. Holo May --> XLR output --> Amp 1
2. Holo May --> RCA output --> Amp 2
3. Holo May --> XLR output --> Amp 1 as preamp --> Amp 2

Should I disconnect one of the connections if i'm not utilizing it or is it ok to leave everything connected ie. disconnect option 1 when using option2? Would it be harmful to the system if I power everything on at the same time ie. utilizing option 1 and 2 at the same time?

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #36 of 45
Hi All, I'm hoping to get some advice on whether the following is feasible/advisable. Would it be possible to connect 2 amps to the Holo May?
The following configurations:
1. Holo May --> XLR output --> Amp 1
2. Holo May --> RCA output --> Amp 2
3. Holo May --> XLR output --> Amp 1 as preamp --> Amp 2

Should I disconnect one of the connections if i'm not utilizing it or is it ok to leave everything connected ie. disconnect option 1 when using option2? Would it be harmful to the system if I power everything on at the same time ie. utilizing option 1 and 2 at the same time?

Thanks!
1+2 is absolutely fine.
I'm not sure if 2+3 at the same time is also fine or if that can create ground loops.

3 alone is completely fine again

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #38 of 45
Thanks! Yea I figured Option 3 needs to be standalone

So leaving Options 1 and 2 plugged (and turned on perhaps to try out 2 different headphones?) won't cause any issues
No 1+2 is absolutely fine At the same time.

Just unsure if it's fine if you continue to use 1 as preamp for 2. Probably depends on the preamp section always being on or not.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #39 of 45
No 1+2 is absolutely fine At the same time.

Just unsure if it's fine if you continue to use 1 as preamp for 2. Probably depends on the preamp section always being on or not.
Thanks! i'll probably only use Option 1 (as is) + Option 2 (as is) plugged and turned on and not connect amp 1 as a preamp to amp 2 at the same time. Option 3, where amp 1 is a preamp, will only be used standalone and Holo May --> Amp 2 will be unplugged

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #40 of 45
Sep 29, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #41 of 45
I’m interested in the KTE. I have two questions that would help me in my decision. Is the warranty transferable? I’m tight on space so I don’t really want to separate the power supply from the DAC but if they sound better separated. Do they need to be separated for best sound?

Sep 29, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #42 of 45
I’m interested in the KTE. I have two questions that would help me in my decision. Is the warranty transferable? I’m tight on space so I don’t really want to separate the power supply from the DAC but if they sound better separated. Do they need to be separated for best sound?
You can stack them fine

not sure about their policy but kitsune and holo are known for aggressive policies so I’d def check that out

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #43 of 45
I just saw review from Golden Sound where he reviewed a Holo Audio May KTE Wildson Version of the DAC. Anyone have any idea of what this edition is? I just ordered my DAC and I did not see that addition as an option.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #44 of 45
I just saw review from Golden Sound where he reviewed a Holo Audio May KTE Wildson Version of the DAC. Anyone have any idea of what this edition is? I just ordered my DAC and I did not see that addition as an option.
That Edition comes from the dealer wildismaudio in hong Kong.
They might have changed a few things compared to the Kitsune Tuned Edition but are generally both L3.

https://www.wildismaudio.com/collec...al-mono-r2r-dac-may-support-dsd1024-pcm1-536m

@Roasty once had a Spring 2 wildism Edition, he might know more

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #45 of 45
i asked Wildism about the May a while back. essentially the Wildism editions are now the same as KTE versions. apparently Jeff Zhu wanted some uniformity. @ThanatosVI is right; both are L3.

I know my Holo Spring 2 Wildism did have some additional/upgraded components over the Spring 2 KTE though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back