Holo KTE May Dac
May 12, 2020 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
Just for clarity I thought their flagship dac should get its own forum thread so it doesn't blend in with the other spring dacs. Does anyone have one yet, any thoughts?

May 28, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 45
I am also looking forward to Reviews and comparisons with the Spring 2.

No Matter if Level 1 2 or 3

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 45
I inquired about holo may wild edition from Wildism, but the guy said production is severely delayed due to parts shortage as a result of Covid19 measures..

May 22, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 45
i'm surprised this thread is so quiet.
anyhow.. i will be contributing some impressions and pictures of it, depending when it reaches!
for those of you who already have it, which input are you guys using? USB or i2s/aes/coaxial etc?

May 22, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 45
anyhow.. i will be contributing some impressions and pictures of it, depending when it reaches!
for those of you who already have it, which input are you guys using? USB or i2s/aes/coaxial etc?
You got a May on the way?
Can't wait for the comparison to the wavelight, like you did with the Dave back then.

May 22, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 45
You got a May on the way?
Can't wait for the comparison to the wavelight, like you did with the Dave back then.

Yep just ordered. Hope it is as good as they say!

May 22, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 45
I'm sure it will be as good as they say, however that still makes it "only" a sidegrade to the Wavelight.
In other words a matter of taste.

I'd also like to test it, but the Wavelight is so much cheaper over here that the May would need to be significantly better to be worth it.
Maybe when the Holo Bliss comes out there will be some nice bundle deals

May 22, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 45
What's Holo Bliss??

I needed another dac and think r2r is for me.. The May seemed a logical choice. Anything else in the next price tier is too rough for a blind buy.

May 22, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 45
What's Holo Bliss??

I needed another dac and think r2r is for me.. The May seemed a logical choice. Anything else in the next price tier is too rough for a blind buy.
The Bliss will be a new amp from Holo.
I only know that they use the Susvara to voice it, so the amp will probably be powerful enough.
Price somewhere in the 3k region.

I'm also a R2R guy.
DACs I'd like to Audition are the May, the Lampizator Atlantic R2R and the Mola Mola Tambaqui (eben tho it isn't R2R)

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 45
Jun 1, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #11 of 45
Congrats on your new purchase looking forward to your comparison against the wavelight. I was considering this along with audiobyte vox and the wavelight but decided to go all in on the wavedream se signature as I mainly use set amp and wanted the best se dac out there. Did you order the wild edition?

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 45
Congrats on your new purchase looking forward to your comparison against the wavelight. I was considering this along with audiobyte vox and the wavelight but decided to go all in on the wavedream se signature as I mainly use set amp and wanted the best se dac out there. Did you order the wild edition?

The Wavedream was out of reach for me. Perhaps in the future. Didn't manage to get the wild edition from wildism as last I heard from him, he didn't have the appropriate parts/components. So ended up ordering the kte from kitsune.

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #13 of 45
The Wavedream was out of reach for me. Perhaps in the future. Didn't manage to get the wild edition from wildism as last I heard from him, he didn't have the appropriate parts/components. So ended up ordering the kte from kitsune.
I actually went over my budget when I decided to go for the Signature SE but no travel means no holiday means more money for hobby right? Will be interested to hear how it pairs with your verite and utopia.

Jun 1, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #14 of 45
I actually went over my budget when I decided to go for the Signature SE but no travel means no holiday means more money for hobby right? Will be interested to hear how it pairs with your verite and utopia.
The Wavedream sure is a dream DAC.
I'd love to compare it directly to the Wavelight.

The balanced Wavedream will be forever out of my budget. However since my tube amp is also SE internally the SE Wavedream would suffice.

Too Bad yoz also had to buy it blind

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #15 of 45
I am using USB wire for the first time , during some minor evaluations of a couple different commercial brands of wire I was astonished with the differences during playback ,But first I’m not one to imagine things or nor am I gullible have a love affair with any audio components or brand loyal .

I settled on Sablon Audio USB for what it passed along to my dac without molestation of this fragile signal from the server . First noticed timbre and tone of well recorded vocals was a stand out over the other cable and while switching cables in and out to demonstrate to a friend that loaned me his cable , I tried to be friendly about all his enthusiasm over his cable..To his embarrassment his cable for what ever reasons did not pass along or represent what could actually be heard being fed upstream of the dac .

The USB section of the Holo May KTE dac is exceptional as you know , the USB board in my server is directly clocked both the usb board and clock boards are independently powered so I’m guessing this makes a difference with sound quality .
As for I2s this is also is an exceptional way to pass this fragile signal to the dac as for which one is better I guess would depend on a lot of things though I’m not too much concerned I’m just a average consumer.

BTW I did have two other dacs that were hanging around a Aqua La Scala ll in my main system and a Audiobyte Hydra Vox dac for headphone listening .
Time well wasted I tell my wife when listening for hours on end to music however I prefer the May KTE dac over the other two dacs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back