Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jun 15, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #3,331 of 4,063
(Please ignore if you're a non-cable believer)

Have folks here experimented with power cables for the Spring 3? I ordered the Triode Wire Labs Digital Power Cord with intention to put onto either my Ferrum OOR/Hypsos, and while I heard a different in blacker background and detail, the tonality felt too detached with a loss of musical PRaT.

For fun, I swapped my stock Spring 3 cable for the Digital PC and it really feels like the R2R magic just got enhanced; excellent texture, clean balanced musicality with more dynamic bass extension. Would be interested to see if others have noted nice, similar enhancements playing around with the power.

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #3,332 of 4,063
(Please ignore if you're a non-cable believer)

Have folks here experimented with power cables for the Spring 3? I ordered the Triode Wire Labs Digital Power Cord with intention to put onto either my Ferrum OOR/Hypsos, and while I heard a different in blacker background and detail, the tonality felt too detached with a loss of musical PRaT.

For fun, I swapped my stock Spring 3 cable for the Digital PC and it really feels like the R2R magic just got enhanced; excellent texture, clean balanced musicality with more dynamic bass extension. Would be interested to see if others have noted nice, similar enhancements playing around with the power.
I also have a Triode Wire Labs Digital American on my Spring 3 KTE and it really opens up the sound. It's effortless, dynamic and transparent with black backgrounds. Getting balanced AC from the CorePower Technologies 1200 doesn't hurt either.

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_175914512.jpg
    IMG_20220515_175914512.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 16, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #3,333 of 4,063
Somebody mentioned the Nuprime Stream 9. I'm considering auditioning one to evaluate vs. the Zen Stream, which performs remarkably at $399, but at the $1,195 price point, The Nuprime certainly has the most promising stream architecture. There are no reviews, but their amps are highly regarded and gaining ground. The Nuprime has I2S out as well as DSD256 up-sampling capabity. I don't like Roon but would prefer to get off the barely adequate MConnect IOS App to run Qobuz (btw, far superior to Tidal into the Holo DACs)...the Nuprime appears to have far superior native Qobuz ability. It's the only streamer near its price with linear power supply and so on... If I snatch one up, I'll report back.
Hey folks, I just got a deal on a Spring 1 Level 2 (w/ the USB upgrade).

I'll be using an iFi Zen Stream - given the cleaner USB signal from the iFi and the USB upgrade on the L2 Spring, would it be safe to assume that the USB input on the Spring would be better than coax? Or could coax be better?

Thanks in advance for any help!
I love my Zen Stream into the spring 3KTE...I believe USB is superior

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #3,334 of 4,063
Ok, you gotta listen to the track "Backwater Blues" sung by Dinah Washington on the Count Basie live album Basie in Sweden, recorded at a fairground/festival situation in 1962. I'm surprised this album is under the audiophile, usual suspect radar...put down the moribund Krall and stream this now!

My fav live big band recording of that or maybe any era...so many great soundstage attributes!

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #3,337 of 4,063
What are peoples thoughts on sound quality USB vs Coax ? Who own the L1 or L2 version of Spring 3. Thanks!
Hello,

It depends, I would say.
If you are using a DDC, you are already using Usb there anyway and can forward it coax or via I2S, or have to forward it that way.
Which makes the Kte version superfluous I would say.
So it's more interesting for people who use a DDC to buy the Lv 2 and maybe invest in the preamp.
Since the Lv2 includes a remote control.

What is not included in Lv 2 are the capacitors from Holo.
I have seen that different capacitors are used for all 3 stages.
I can't say how big the difference is.

I think the Kte version is a waste of money if you were to use it with a DDC as the internal usb port is said to be very good.

So I think as someone who has not heard the Spring 3 and does not want to prejudge.
I think for the money they could have done a bit better with the remote control on Lv 2.
And could have included a few nice features.
I'm still thinking about it, but I've also been told that you could get something better for the money.
Which is also true when I did some research.

I think it's definitely an upgrade for those who are coming from the cheap Dac, topping, smsl, ect.
Otherwise ask Magnahifi about my claim,it won't be quite right but not wrong either probably.

Because of the connection between coax and usb.
Apart from the good implementation of the usb port,one should not forget that it is still important that the pc is grounded.
That makes a lot of difference even with a good dac.
It is similar with coax.
Use clean cables that have a secure connection and avoid the outer contact touching a metal plate.
This can happen especially with PC sound cards.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #3,338 of 4,063
I also have a Triode Wire Labs Digital American on my Spring 3 KTE and it really opens up the sound. It's effortless, dynamic and transparent with black backgrounds. Getting balanced AC from the CorePower Technologies 1200 doesn't hurt either.
Interesting.
I just tried a custom 4N silver power cord for my Oor/Hypsos and ended up using it for the Spring3 KTE. Changed the sound slightly with more headroom and smoother vocals..

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #3,339 of 4,063
Somebody mentioned the Nuprime Stream 9. I'm considering auditioning one to evaluate vs. the Zen Stream, which performs remarkably at $399, but at the $1,195 price point, The Nuprime certainly has the most promising stream architecture. There are no reviews, but their amps are highly regarded and gaining ground. The Nuprime has I2S out as well as DSD256 up-sampling capabity. I don't like Roon but would prefer to get off the barely adequate MConnect IOS App to run Qobuz (btw, far superior to Tidal into the Holo DACs)...the Nuprime appears to have far superior native Qobuz ability. It's the only streamer near its price with linear power supply and so on... If I snatch one up, I'll report back.

I love my Zen Stream into the spring 3KTE...I believe USB is superior
So, the Nuprime stream 9 i2s connection is compatible with the Holo i2s?
Just asking, because I want to include qobuz and I'm not happy with the idap6 implementation of qobuz (no support internally and with hiby app).

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #3,340 of 4,063
Is Hugo TT2 + mscaler better then Spring 3 KTE?

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #3,341 of 4,063
for the money it better fn be lol
but i would take the spring 3 kte with HQplayer

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #3,342 of 4,063
I have not tried the TT2 + Scaler but have tried TT2 & Qutest + Scaler & neither were close to the Spring 3KTE in my opinion. Obviously this is subjective, but for me the Spring 3 KTE sound more real, lifelike. I like Chord DACS but in my system they seemed a bit thin & not as soulful as the KTE. I like to see live bands & have always judged my gear on how close to the feeling of live music does it sound. The Spring 3 KTE does this better than the Chords in my opinion. I have added the Puritan PSM136 mains purifier onto my mains spur & have to say this adds a hell of a lot to the sound also, easily worth the asking price, adds to the sense of live performance & emotional engagement with the music.

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #3,343 of 4,063
Sorry this might be off topic but here is the most active Holo thread...

Does anyone know if the Kitsunehifi USA is still in business? I wanted to place an order of S3 KTE through Kitsunehifi website, but it keeps showing error when creating an account. I've sent email and support ticket, but receive no response.

Any idea...?

c6NABsJ_d.webp

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #3,344 of 4,063
Sorry this might be off topic but here is the most active Holo thread...

Does anyone know if the Kitsunehifi USA is still in business? I wanted to place an order of S3 KTE through Kitsunehifi website, but it keeps showing error when creating an account. I've sent email and support ticket, but receive no response.

Any idea...?

c6NABsJ_d.webp

Yes, they are still in business. I had an email interaction with Tim yesterday.

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3,345 of 4,063
They quote 7-10 business days as a response time which I’ve found to be accurate so if you just emailed them yesterday or a couple days ago it may take awhile to get a response

Users who are viewing this thread

Back