Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
May 24, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #3,257 of 4,077
Thanks, I would imagine it's better, just not sure "how much" better it is.
Is the Holo Spring (1st iteration) level 3 KTE still a viable DAC right now?
Compared to my current Ares II?

May 24, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #3,258 of 4,077
Thanks, I would imagine it's better, just not sure "how much" better it is.
Is the Holo Spring (1st iteration) level 3 KTE still a viable DAC right now?
Compared to my current Ares II?
I think so. I had Spring 1 L2 and loved it. Tonally it is similar just less clarity and smaller soundstage but still I could have kept the spring 1 for a long time. I’d imagine if you have a high-end preamp ($4K+) and maybe a SU-6 it would close the gap even more.

May 24, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #3,259 of 4,077
Not making any excuses, but Tim (Kitsune HiFi aka Holo Audio USA) is pretty much a one man show even down to support. I've spoken with him at length over the phone in the past. My take-away from that was that he's a genuine audiophile and passionate about what he does.
I get that, but hiring another passionate and knowledgable representative to handle simple asks/requests/questions would likely do the business more favors than harm, even if margins are supposedly tight. Proper customer service is what continuously brings back customers. Just my 2cents.

May 24, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #3,260 of 4,077
Delete

May 25, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #3,261 of 4,077
Hello all,
I too am looking to decide between a Pontus II and a Holo Spring 3. Leaning a bit toward the Holo, but I have yet to be able to determine which of the two would be more adapted to fast-paced rock and EDM music. Any ideas/experience/feedback on this? The Holo is often categorized as "laid back"... which not what I need with a McIntosh MA352 which is slow as molasses already. Too bad home demos of these units are virtually impossible. Would definitely appreciate your thoughts. Brgds.

May 26, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #3,262 of 4,077
I would imagine it’s the preamp portion of your integrated that is slow so you should be tube rolling to a set of faster tubes if possible to start.

It can be considered a laid back dac but it can certainly still rock with plenty of speed. Organic sound and realism are the the springs strong suite. I’m sure it would sound sublime in the MA352 but finding a faster tube would probably be a good idea with any DAC for your genre of music preference.

May 26, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #3,263 of 4,077
I would imagine it’s the preamp portion of your integrated that is slow so you should be tube rolling to a set of faster tubes if possible to start.

It can be considered a laid back dac but it can certainly still rock with plenty of speed. Organic sound and realism are the the springs strong suite. I’m sure it would sound sublime in the MA352 but finding a faster tube would probably be a good idea with any DAC for your genre of music preference.
Thanks for the comment on the DAC. The MA352, which isn't the subject here, is a poorly designed, conceived, engineered amplifier without autoformers that is really a marketing product. Please don't ask how I unfortunately ended up with it...It comes with the standard rebranded JJs and they are less than ideal. A new quartet of Gold Lions are a bit smoother and coherent but still too bright on top. I can just barely tolerate a full set of NOS Telefunkens that are currently running now, still too bright bit they sound best for the moment. Since source is a Naim ND5XS2 with a BB PCM 2791A chipset, I have been thinking that either the Pontus II or the Spring 3 might atleast smooth out the top end. Thanks again for your reply.

May 26, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #3,264 of 4,077
Well considering the Naim is known for its PRAT and you still feel your setup is bright and slow, the Spring 3 would definitely help the brightness, but the elephant in the room is definitely your integrated - sounds to me like that getting replaced might be more beneficial.

I’m actually looking for a ND5XS2 for streaming duties - how do you like the app? I had a Lumin U2 mini for a week because for me the app was just awful despite the great sound quality. I’m not a Roon user so probably my own fault ha!

I love the Naim power amplifier - really smoking fast transients. But I’m not a Naim preamp user - just feel tubes make for the best sound in a preamp stage.

Anyway back on topic - the spring dac is phenomenal and will bring improvement no matter the rest of the ancillaries.

May 26, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #3,265 of 4,077
Well considering the Naim is known for its PRAT and you still feel your setup is bright and slow, the Spring 3 would definitely help the brightness, but the elephant in the room is definitely your integrated - sounds to me like that getting replaced might be more beneficial.

I’m actually looking for a ND5XS2 for streaming duties - how do you like the app? I had a Lumin U2 mini for a week because for me the app was just awful despite the great sound quality. I’m not a Roon user so probably my own fault ha!

I love the Naim power amplifier - really smoking fast transients. But I’m not a Naim preamp user - just feel tubes make for the best sound in a preamp stage.

Anyway back on topic - the spring dac is phenomenal and will bring improvement no matter the rest of the ancillaries.
The Naim streamer/DAC is rock solid and dependable. I only use it wired and the app is good. When Roon goes goofy and loses it entirely, which is quite often, the Naim app is dependable and sounds perhaps better, it definitely isn't perfect and there are a fewer minor quibbles I'd like to see improved but reliability, SQ and Tidal/Qobuz integration are excellent. Be aware the the only digital output (to an external DAC for example) is coaxial via BNC connector. No USB or AES outputs. Other than that, an excellent streamer/DAC. I also enjoyed my time with Naim amplification and probably should've stayed there with the Focal Sopras. Brgds.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #3,266 of 4,077
I'm wondering if anyone has ever compared the original Holo Spring level 3 KTE with the newest Holo Spring 3 KTE.
I've not tried the original Spring, but did compare the Spring 2 to Spring 3 and was VERY surprised at the jump.

The jump from Spring 2 to Spring 3 is much bigger than Spring 3 to May.
Not just in performance, but overall signature.

The Spring 2 sounds quite soft and warm in comparison to the Spring 3

May 27, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #3,268 of 4,077
Tried :wink: to read most of the contributions here. Found similar posts in other fora concerning the
unlocking problem with I2S.
As my favorite input is ( I2S )
I had the opinion to do my Spring 3 KTE a favour .
So I bought a modern streamer with I2S
https://www.silent-angel-audio.com/munich-m1t
Its a modern Pi 4 B / 4 GB streamer with some enhancements and additional linear PSU.
And soon I ran into major problems :
With I2S out : Spring needs 10 +14 seconds to lock ....and the same if you pause. SQ is extreme good.
Contacting Holo audio support suggested to disable PLL. (....."there is too much noise coming from the Pi4B " .)

Mhhh.... not my option , as I need PLL for my S/PDif input (TV- monitor) and I dont want to loose PLL , something Holo advertises as worldclass.

Contacting Importer : He means his " Mano ultra streamer " has no problem with I2S. But this device as well is based on the
RasPi , and based even on the old version 3B .
Mhhh..
What to do ? I know that USB is a good option with Spring , but obviously my loudspeakers (active Neumann KH-310 with 2 x KH 750 mono bass array ) seem to like I2S more.
Are there streamers which do not show this behaviour with Spring KTE ? Contacted the "Mercury" project based on PI 4 B but no answer yet .
Any help really appreciated.

Best
as

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #3,270 of 4,077
So as I also posted in the classifieds, due to unforeseen repairs to my wife's car I unfortunately had to back out of the Holo Spring deal I found here locally. So if anyone reading this thread is located in Europe and is thinking about selling their Holo DAC, send me a PM. My budget is probably not sufficient for the latest iteration (Spring 3). I just can't get this DAC out of my mind lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back