Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
May 19, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #3,241 of 4,077
How is support generally with Holo Audio? I ordered my KTE last Saturday and immediately realized I made an error in typing my address and emailed right away to get it corrected. Haven’t heard a peep but want to make this gets corrected so it doesn’t get sent to some random address
Usually, once you have a tracking # from FedEx / UPS / DHL - you can redirect your package. Not sure if they would let you "fix" the address, but will definitely let you redirect to a local FedEx / UPS / DHL pickup location.

May 19, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #3,242 of 4,077
Issue:

I am considering upgrading the fuse to Synergistic Purple, but before doing so I figured I'd open up the unit to see where the fuse is, as I can't find it on any internal photos. I got all but one the necessary Allen screws out successfully, but the final one is stripped (it arrived that way). Not sure how or if I should address this with Kitsune. I'm not a tool geek or anything. If somebody has a suggestion on how I can get a stripped Allen screw to move, please shoot me an email matt.p.joy@gmail.com

Thanks, Matt
Hi, Matt, there is no need to open the chassis. Look at the back of the machine where the IEC outlet is, the fuse box is adjacent to the outlet. Pry open the fuse box and a drawer with the fuse will appear allowing you to take out or change the fuse easily.

May 19, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #3,243 of 4,077
Living in South America, I emailed all three to enquiry on price, shipping rates/time, unit voltage and so on. MagnaHifi and Wildism audio in HK both replied within minutes, Kitsune never did. I bought my Spring 3 KTE with them and everything was fast and easy, even a little support I needed after re-updating FW
I purchased from Magna & their customer service is excellent, very helpful & very quick responses.

May 19, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #3,245 of 4,077
Linn streamer (with integrated DAC and preamp function) is perfect for your use case. There is a Linn dealer in Central and they can help you set up your NAS (where you store your music) and Linn with control software on iPhone/iPad/PC/Mac. All you need to do is connect Linn to your amp and you are done.
Can you confirm that Linn Klimax DS/1 has an internal DAC ? In that case I mighr start selling my desktop equipment

May 19, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #3,246 of 4,077
Usually, once you have a tracking # from FedEx / UPS / DHL - you can redirect your package. Not sure if they would let you "fix" the address, but will definitely let you redirect to a local FedEx / UPS / DHL pickup location.
I believe the problem is that you'll have to show an ID with the original destination address when you do the pickup. If it's simply a transposed digit or the like, they might accept it.

Regarding Kitsune customer service, I sent them a simple warranty question via email two weeks ago, and never received a response (other than an acknowledgement that they received my email). It literally would have taken them 30 seconds to respond. Lame.

May 19, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #3,247 of 4,077
Looks like Magnan Hifi is actually substantially more expensive living in the US? Looking like it’s €3.379 for the non pre amp version and ordering direct from Kitsune was $3098. With the conversion rates that difference is pretty wide surprisingly
You don't pay the VAT...if you go through most of the order process, inputting your US address, you should see a final price that is about the same as Kitsune, from what I remember.

May 20, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #3,248 of 4,077
Can you confirm that Linn Klimax DS/1 has an internal DAC ? In that case I mighr start selling my desktop equipment
Confirmed. It also comes with a digital volume control and a simple parametric EQ via the web interface.

Caveat: there is no digital input unless you get the DSM version. So it would be Klimax DSM

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #3,249 of 4,077
How is support generally with Holo Audio? I ordered my KTE last Saturday and immediately realized I made an error in typing my address and emailed right away to get it corrected. Haven’t heard a peep but want to make this gets corrected so it doesn’t get sent to some random address
In Europe we have Magna Hifi (Netherlands) as the main distributor and they are super
I purchased from Magna & their customer service is excellent, very helpful & very quick responses.
I live in Europe and bought from Magna and they are very responsive and their service is excellent.

May 20, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #3,250 of 4,077
Finally got around to putting the Singxer SU-6 through it's paces.

First I tried Auralic Aries > USB to SU-6 > I2S and was doing back and forth A/B comparing the Lumin U2 direct via AES.

I found that the AES via the Lumin was superior to using the SU-6 from the Aries. It just had increased clarity and again superior PRAT. However it was way closer than it used to be, especially over the SU-1. The difference between SU-1 and SU-6 is clearly significant.

Things got interesting moving the SU-6 over to the USB out of the Lumin.

Super tight race and I went back and forth between AES / I2S more times than any one probably ever should. Each time declaring each side the 'winner' LOL - just about a wash I'd say, but I do think on some tracks I get a smidge more soundstage out of I2S than AES. This could be placebo admittedly, but I kept coming back to AES seeming to have a scalpel knife more image focus, but I2S having that scalpel more staging & spatial separation. But damn if I can declare a 'winner' between these 2.

Interesting to note that going from the Aries Femto via USB to Lumin USB to the SU-6 the sound was better out of the SU-6 via Lumin. In my mind the Su-6 should have been an equalizer for the source USB. I guess that just goes to show you that source is king ultimately. Now I know why people will drop $10k on a Rocknawave DreamNET, etc.

The real eye opener for me though was when I decided to give the "tired old / clockless" NOS DAC in my RWA a go via SU-6. This DAC I've never really been able to enjoy as more than a 'backup' DAC as it was basically muddled, lack details, fatiguing - overall just meh - but once the SU-6 was in play it actually went almost toe to toe with the Spring DAC!

Sure the Spring was still clearer and provided some more microdetail but prior to the SU-6 feeding the RWA it was a HUGE difference, basically a 'why bother', not in the same league, etc - The SU-6 really closed the gap for sure. All the detail that I thought the RWA DAC just couldn't provide was now just there and in spades. The SU-6 has got me excited to try out some more DAC's down the line for sure!

I remember reading about how someone sold their Holo May for a Chord Qutest fed by an SU-6 - I thought they must be deaf, but after hearing how much the SU-6 woke up my RWA - now I'd have to compare for myself!

On a side note - I am upgrading my preamp to a Vinnie Rossi LIO DHT(!) and have listed my RWA for sale here - pretty flexible with the pricing. I am super pumped about this, my wallet not so much!

May 20, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,251 of 4,077
"I remember reading about how someone sold their Holo May for a Chord Qutest fed by an SU-6 - I thought they must be deaf, but after hearing how much the SU-6 woke up my RWA - now I'd have to compare for myself!"

You'll find 1000 and 1 posts about people selling X for Y. Doesn't mean anything unless you hear it for yourself.

May 23, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #3,252 of 4,077
Just an update on my support ticket with Kitsune to update my mailing address: they got back to me and the address has been updated. They were right in line with their 7-10 business day response time that is on their website. I know that is a longer response time than most but as long as the expectation is set and they follow through with their quoted response times then I am a happy enough camper :). Now just need to wait for that shipping notification :wink:

May 23, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #3,253 of 4,077
Not making any excuses, but Tim (Kitsune HiFi aka Holo Audio USA) is pretty much a one man show even down to support. I've spoken with him at length over the phone in the past. My take-away from that was that he's a genuine audiophile and passionate about what he does.

May 24, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #3,254 of 4,077
I'm in the position to get a Holo Spring Level 3 KTE at a decent price, and am currently running a Denafrips Ares II.
I'm wondering if anyone has ever compared the original Holo Spring level 3 KTE with the newest Holo Spring 3 KTE.
Is the latest version much more advanced, or would the Holo Spring level 3 KTE (1st iteration) still be a decent upgrade over my current Denafrips Ares II?

May 24, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #3,255 of 4,077
What's the jump to mkii? Improved USB board or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back