Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
May 16, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #3,226 of 4,077
I have never used a mini pc before but I'm interested. Looking at the Atom mini pcs and yes they are really cost effective. I wonder if there is some kind of wireless touch screen that I can put on my lap to control the mini pc from my sofa while the Atom mini PC sits on the hifi rack?

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm completely new to streaming. Been reading and catching up for a few days.
The point is that the Streamer, no matter if it is a mini pc or PI or dedicated Hifi streamer is connected to your DAC and connected to your network via Ethernet.
Depending on the streaming software solution you control the playback from your laptop, phone, tablet using the dedicated software frontend, e.g Roon, Audirvana, etc

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #3,227 of 4,077
I have never used a mini pc before but I'm interested. Looking at the Atom mini pcs and yes they are really cost effective. I wonder if there is some kind of wireless (like Bluetooth) touch screen that I can put on my lap to control the mini pc from my sofa while the Atom mini PC sits on the hifi rack?

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm completely new to streaming. Been reading and catching up for a few days but the learning curve is steep.
Linn streamer (with integrated DAC and preamp function) is perfect for your use case. There is a Linn dealer in Central and they can help you set up your NAS (where you store your music) and Linn with control software on iPhone/iPad/PC/Mac. All you need to do is connect Linn to your amp and you are done.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #3,228 of 4,077
Finally got my hands on the Holo Spring 3 KTE! My first thought when the music flowed out was: Why hadn't I got it earlier?!
Major step up already right out of the box.

Now comes the HQPlayer settings...
I've read elsewhere suggesting PCM upsampling to 1.536M, sinc-L filters, LNS15 noise shaper

Are there other good settings I could also try out?

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #3,229 of 4,077
Finally got my hands on the Holo Spring 3 KTE! My first thought when the music flowed out was: Why hadn't I got it earlier?!

I've read elsewhere suggesting PCM upsampling to 1.536M, sinc-L filters, LNS15 noise shaper

guess it really depends on your headphones, amp and music taste and signature taste.
Your mentioned settings are a good starting point.
Generally I feel DSD is smoother more analogue but less dynamic (which fits to the technical specs of DSD mode of Holo Audio), PCM upsampling is more technical detailed and dynamic.

I am currently using this PCM filter for my Susvaras most of the time plus applying a PEQ, generally I want often more spice on the Susvaras on the other hand I tend to tame the Phi TC, so this can mean different use cases mean different filters (and potentially PEQ)

1652901044149.png

May 18, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #3,230 of 4,077
Anyone else encountered sudden random static noise on USB cables?
I've been using a Cardas Clear USB Speed cable which I bought used before without any issues for 5 months and now that cable started showing such issues.
Another Audioquest Carbon USB cable is dead silent (though the Cardas Clear USB Speed is supposed to be the superior cable).
Cannot see any signs of physical defects on the ports whatsoever...

May 18, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #3,231 of 4,077
Anyone else encountered sudden random static noise on USB cables?
I've been using a Cardas Clear USB Speed cable which I bought used before without any issues for 5 months and now that cable started showing such issues.
Another Audioquest Carbon USB cable is dead silent (though the Cardas Clear USB Speed is supposed to be the superior cable).
Cannot see any signs of physical defects on the ports whatsoever...
Just send it back for inspection/repair. Probably will not charge you anything except for shipping.

Edit: I just sent my Cardas reference power cord back and they didn’t charge me for the repair, just shipping.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3,232 of 4,077

Definitely give NOS a serious try, especially after the dac has broken in (or your ears have become familiar with it, whichever you buy into).

I find that DSD512+ with the gauss family of filters sounds best. I dont have a machine powerful enough to run EC modulators, but they probably sound quite nice. I use ASDM7+512fs (i might be getting some of those letters wrong).

Ive has a spring 3 for about 6 months now and primarily dont use hqplayer anymore. There’s trade offs: no apodizing filter, no filter at all, roll off from 10k to -3db at 20k. But, the background being an absolute void, crisp attack without ringing, incredible layering and detail… you can feel the resonant frequencies of a bass string, even in a busy mix, for example. (Some filters are more than -3db down at 20khz anyway, non-monotonal artifacts are below the noise floor of my preamp, human hearing this that, and so on). High res sources mitigate all of these issues… hopefully they’re not just redbook upsamples.

DSD comes close, but ive been very happy with this DAC run as-is.

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #3,233 of 4,077
How is support generally with Holo Audio? I ordered my KTE last Saturday and immediately realized I made an error in typing my address and emailed right away to get it corrected. Haven’t heard a peep but want to make this gets corrected so it doesn’t get sent to some random address

May 19, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #3,234 of 4,077
How is support generally with Holo Audio? I ordered my KTE last Saturday and immediately realized I made an error in typing my address and emailed right away to get it corrected. Haven’t heard a peep but want to make this gets corrected so it doesn’t get sent to some random address
Not going to lie, I am not a huge fan of Kitsune and his customer service. (Not sure if that’s where you bought from). Slow response rates and I know several Holo audio owners who also had unpleasant experiences with him.

If you bought from the US KitsuneHifi, he will get back to you in 5-7 days on average from my and others experiences

May 19, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #3,235 of 4,077
Ok thank you - disappointing to hear for a product this expensive but as long as I have a sense of what to expect response wise then that helps a bit. Fingers crossed I get something end of week or early next based off that timeframe

May 19, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #3,237 of 4,077
Issue:

I am considering upgrading the fuse to Synergistic Purple, but before doing so I figured I'd open up the unit to see where the fuse is, as I can't find it on any internal photos. I got all but one the necessary Allen screws out successfully, but the final one is stripped (it arrived that way). Not sure how or if I should address this with Kitsune. I'm not a tool geek or anything. If somebody has a suggestion on how I can get a stripped Allen screw to move, please shoot me an email matt.p.joy@gmail.com

Thanks, Matt

May 19, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #3,238 of 4,077
If I could order again, I'd go through Magna HiFi, as opposed to Kitsune. You get the same price ordering stateside. Magna is a more substantial outfit and appears to be much more responsive to customers.
Looks like Magnan Hifi is actually substantially more expensive living in the US? Looking like it’s €3.379 for the non pre amp version and ordering direct from Kitsune was $3098. With the conversion rates that difference is pretty wide surprisingly

May 19, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #3,239 of 4,077
Living in South America, I emailed all three to enquiry on price, shipping rates/time, unit voltage and so on. MagnaHifi and Wildism audio in HK both replied within minutes, Kitsune never did. I bought my Spring 3 KTE with Wildism and everything was fast and easy, even a little support I needed after re-updating FW

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #3,240 of 4,077
Looks like Magnan Hifi is actually substantially more expensive living in the US? Looking like it’s €3.379 for the non pre amp version and ordering direct from Kitsune was $3098. With the conversion rates that difference is pretty wide surprisingly
living outside EU you will get VAT rebate. Its substantial, I believe some 17%, but please double check on the procedure and details. Also the FX rate is quite favorable recently, though today the Euro is indeed shooting up almost 1.5%! and also make explicit you need a 110v version if that's really your case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back