Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
May 13, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #3,181 of 4,077
Gotcha.
The deciding factor for me when I purchased was the supposed fantastic USB implementation that the KTE offered. I listen to via USB when I first got it and after about 100 hours and it really does sound fantastic.

I sold off my Denafrips Hermes DDC because the i2s cable I was using had RJ45 connections due to my previous DAC being a Sonnet Morpheus which only accepted rj45. I could have gotten an eye-2s cable but I wanted to rebound a little bit from the purchase of the Holo and the loss I'm taking from selling the Sonnet.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting an iPad and getting some sort of Roon device. From there if I can somehow send the signal via optical cable at some point and then maybe connect to the Holo? Or maybe some other device. I'm really unfamiliar with digital signals north of the dac. I'd like to have the best digital I can afford between the router and the DAC and from what I'm hearing having the signal go through an optical cable at some point is the way to go.

Or maybe I'm overthinking all of this and just go straight from my computer into the Spring 3 KTE via USB and stop worrying.
I do not do Internet streaming myself like Qobuz, etc. and think Roon is somewhat a ponzi scheme because of its monthly subscription pricing.
I have a vast library (mostly my own vinyl rips) on a NAS.
My own rips are all 32 bit depth and so far I have not come across a reasonably priced DDC that would support that and I hate bottlenecks.
All my past experiences with network streamers were also negative (Matrix Audio, IFI, ...) because of bugs in web interface or in the app, usability, functionality and limitations, and of course sound quality.
Since I moved to USB from laptop I am much happier since I have the Spring 3 KTE, before that purchase I would not have considered it.
Of course laptop->USB can produce a lot of noise but at least in this current setup I don't have a lot of complaints.
Can it be improved? Sure, always. But until that itch becomes too much and I have to scratch it I'll just enjoy it.
I really think the Spring KTE produces an amazing clean signal via USB, probably better than many other DACs out there.

More experienced people on here might have better comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #3,182 of 4,077
I vote "stop worrying". A DAC such as the Spring 3 KTE, with excellent galvanic isolation and jitter attenuation, isn't going to benefit much (if at all) from upstream improvements. That money is better spent elsewhere.
I am using USB fed from a Melco N1A EX, sounds spot on to me. After trying a couple of Audioquest USB cables I tried a Supra cable which I think is excellent, just well made simple cable that seems to sound better than the more expensive Audioquest cable. The biggest improvement to my system was adding the Puritan Audio PSM136, this is despite already having a dedicated main spur. Music just seems so real & alive after adding the Puritan. Initially I thought it was rather expensive but after hearing the results I consider it exceptional value for money. I have had the Spring 3 KTE for several months now & I am still wowed every time I listen, think it will be in my system for a long time yet.

May 13, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #3,183 of 4,077
I've hit about the 400 hour mark. The burn-in improvement has been far more significant than with any other component I've owned. I can't imagine any 3kish audiophile product that does it's job better than the spring 3. I won't stray from the Holo line for digital moving forward.

That being said, the states suck, so I'm getting all my possessions into a carry-on and traveling the world starting in November, so it will be sold in a few months.

May 13, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #3,184 of 4,077
I stumbled and wasted much of my monies & time searching for the best possible sounding DAC i could afford to compliment my home PC Audio setup until recently I have discovered the DACs with R2R technology. Then after short ownerships of the Musician Pegasus and Aquarius, and contemplating on the Audio-GD R7 MKII, i finally made my seemingly right choice of the Holo Audio Spring 3. So far i trust this is my best decison made in investing in audio for the money. Before that I've also owned many Delta-Sigma DACs with highly appraised reviewes by both experts and consumers, like Gustard X26 Pro, SMSL VMV D1se and Cary Audio DMS-550 & DMS-700 (these are streaming DACs). I ened up selling them all to friends or in Canuck's Audio Mart. I like the Cary DMS-700 very much though, it has an on-board PCM & DSD Hardware Oversampling feature which is now only available in May DAC but missing from the Spring 3. Nevertheless, after now 130+ hours of burn-in on my Spring 3, the micro/macro details & dynamics in the music are unbelievable. Feel like the positive effects are increased further when more hours in. Never before listening to my favorable tracks are like digging into treasures.

I personally found that this particular forum is filled with gentlemen. I tried sharing my experiences and tips on DACs in two other forums, i received mostly abuses and attacks and turned into being lectured. I didn't have time for those headaches and shut myself up and quit. And most of them believing in "measurements", unfortunately i am only a music lover who without an engineering degree.

Thank you all here in this precious forum ! :beerchug:
I'm about to decide whether a Spring 3 or Gustard X26 pro to add to an Oor/Hypsos stack...
I think most on this forum would vote for the Holo DAC, right?

What kind of music are you listening to?

May 13, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #3,185 of 4,077
I do not do Internet streaming myself like Qobuz, etc. and think Roon is somewhat a ponzi scheme because of its monthly subscription pricing.
A Ponzi scheme is where someone defrauds investors by generating "returns" for existing clients simply by paying them out money from new clients, while typically siphoning off a ton of cash for themselves in the process. Roon is a subscription service for a software product that creates actual value for its users. You may not find it worthwhile, but please don't insinuate that the company is doing anything nefarious.

May 13, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #3,186 of 4,077
A Ponzi scheme is where someone defrauds investors by generating "returns" for existing clients simply by paying them out money from new clients, while typically siphoning off a ton of cash for themselves in the process. Roon is a subscription service for a software product that creates actual value for its users. You may not find it worthwhile, but please don't insinuate that the company is doing anything nefarious.
Sure, i was exaggerating on purpose, but i still think it is overpriced for what it delivers.
It depends what is important for you personally of course.
For me, I personally think that Roon is overpriced for what it actually delivers and there is no way i will ever consider it because it would not add any value.
I can do much more with Sygnalyst and that is a one-off payment.

May 13, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #3,187 of 4,077
re: feeding the Spring. I'll represent the extreme end of the I2S input group. Setup is:
fanless pc w/ Jcat USB XE (HDPlex 200W on the XE and internal music SSD) > Inakustik Referenz USB > Singxer SU-6 (powered by Hypsos) > Furutech HF-X NCF > L2 Spring
Neotech NEP-3002 power cables on everything, purple fuses in the Hypsos & Spring

This has evolved over time and each progression brought audible improvements, all the way back to power cable comparisons on the PC. As good as the KTE USB module is, I can't bring myself to believe it would compare. The only thing I feel like I'm missing out on is higher sample rates due to the SU-6 topping out at 384k.

May 13, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #3,188 of 4,077
Well folks, I just purchased a Spring 3 KTE! See y’all in 5-6 weeks for a review :)

May 13, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #3,189 of 4,077
Spring 3 KTE.

Only have 48 hours or so on it but... WOW.
Beautiful beautiful setup, I'm ordering a Spring 3 KTE today! I have the Triode Wire Labs Spirit II XLRs which might work well with the Spring 3 like your TWL American power cord.

Skipping out of topic a bit, I noticed you're using the AECO 4-pin XLR on your silver heapdhone cable plugged into the Luxman headamp in your photos. May I ask which plating does the plug have and what do you think about its sound/ stability when plugging in?

I am using the AECO silver plated 3-pin XLR on solid silver interconnects and they are fantastic without the glare in some plated silver products. The female plugs are very loose when pluged into XLR output of my DAC, though the connection is stable. Takes some time to get used to it. Thinking about giving my silver headphone cables AECO plugs and taking out those Neutriks.

May 14, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #3,190 of 4,077
Well folks, I just purchased a Spring 3 KTE! See y’all in 5-6 weeks for a review :)
Probably not. I got mine in 17 days.
Good luck!

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #3,191 of 4,077
Beautiful beautiful setup, I'm ordering a Spring 3 KTE today! I have the Triode Wire Labs Spirit II XLRs which might work well with the Spring 3 like your TWL American power cord.

Skipping out of topic a bit, I noticed you're using the AECO 4-pin XLR on your silver heapdhone cable plugged into the Luxman headamp in your photos. May I ask which plating does the plug have and what do you think about its sound/ stability when plugging in?

I am using the AECO silver plated 3-pin XLR on solid silver interconnects and they are fantastic without the glare in some plated silver products. The female plugs are very loose when pluged into XLR output of my DAC, though the connection is stable. Takes some time to get used to it. Thinking about giving my silver headphone cables AECO plugs and taking out those Neutriks.
Well thank you. I also believe it's a beautiful setup. Sometimes I just look at it from across the room. Lol. I know that sounds corny but I'm a geek with this stuff.

I also have the Triode Wire Labs XLR connecting the Holo and the Luxman. Absolutely fantastic balanced interconnects, IMO. Actually my entire system is wired with Triode Wire Labs, besides the headphone cable.
Split USB from computer to DAC. Spirit II between DAC and amp. Digital American power cord on Holo and Seven Plus on Luxman amp.

Regarding the plug, there is an ever, and I mean ever so, slight jiggle when it's connected to the Luxman. Not even an issue really.

May 14, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #3,192 of 4,077
Also, I don't know which plating is on it. I forgot.

May 14, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #3,193 of 4,077
May 14, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #3,194 of 4,077
I had a realization this morning that the Holo Spring 3 KTE is too sexy to be on the second shelf so I put it on top.
That's it. Just wanted to post some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20220514_085756434_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220514_085756434_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220514_085805723_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220514_085805723_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 14, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #3,195 of 4,077
I had a realization this morning that the Holo Spring 3 KTE is too sexy to be on the second shelf so I put it on top.
That's it. Just wanted to post some pics.

What are the isolation feet you’re using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back