Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #2,641 of 4,078
New asio and new firmware installed. Curious what changes were made

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #2,642 of 4,078
Wouldn‘t all Spring 3 KTEs have the same USB module? Are there units without the Enhanced module?
Paraphrased from my telephone conversation with Tim at Kitsune HiFi (Holo Audio USA).

The new module improves sound quality for those using AMD chipsets by addressing the known issues for dsd1024 and pcm1.536Mhz with AMD chipsets. Other sample rates will be the same sound quality and no differences will be heard. Both usb modules use the same titanis 2.0 chipset too! Both modules measure the same! There is a special chip we had to create to do the proper translations to allow for handshakes for the higher sample rates to occur with AMD chipsets, Intel chipsets are not affected.

The enhanced usb module doesn't have sound quality improvements except for the ability to do dsd1024 and pcm1.536Mhz. Which is an improvement for those who use these high resolution sample rates and are on the AMD platform. However this a small percentage of users. If you are not going to use DSD1024 and PCM1536K on an AMD chipset then no need to update.

So basically, if you use an Intel machine as your source, upsampling with the higher rates already works fine on Intel, or you are using an AMD machine as your source and are not going to do upsampling, then there is no difference for you what module you have.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #2,644 of 4,078
Yea, that's a really nice breakdown. My May KTE supposedly has the enhanced USB module but I've no idea what that really entailed previously. And it doesn't impact me either way, so no need to wonder further. Thank you.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #2,645 of 4,078
Paraphrased from my telephone conversation with Tim at Kitsune HiFi (Holo Audio USA).

The new module improves sound quality for those using AMD chipsets by addressing the known issues for dsd1024 and pcm1.536Mhz with AMD chipsets. Other sample rates will be the same sound quality and no differences will be heard. Both usb modules use the same titanis 2.0 chipset too! Both modules measure the same! There is a special chip we had to create to do the proper translations to allow for handshakes for the higher sample rates to occur with AMD chipsets, Intel chipsets are not affected.

The enhanced usb module doesn't have sound quality improvements except for the ability to do dsd1024 and pcm1.536Mhz. Which is an improvement for those who use these high resolution sample rates and are on the AMD platform. However this a small percentage of users. If you are not going to use DSD1024 and PCM1536K on an AMD chipset then no need to update.

So basically, if you use an Intel machine as your source, upsampling with the higher rates already works fine on Intel, or you are using an AMD machine as your source and are not going to do upsampling, then there is no difference for you what module you have.
It matters if your using any non intel chip, not just AMD. So if you're using a pi streamer in the chain etc it will limit you

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,647 of 4,078
Is there any problem using both xLr and RCA outputs at the same time? plug them into separate amps at the same time so I can compare two amps very easily.
No problem to use both!

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #2,648 of 4,078

Great info....thanks.

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #2,649 of 4,078
Is there a change log for the new firmware?

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,650 of 4,078
Here's my review of the spring 3 with some comparison to spring 2 and may:

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #2,651 of 4,078
Here's my review of the spring 3 with some comparison to spring 2 and may:

Thanks for this great review. Especially comparison with Spring 2 and May is interesting and valuable. Made my day little bit less boring. I just underwent gallbladder surgery 4 days ago, so I'm at home and resting.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #2,653 of 4,078
I've been waiting patiently for this GoldenSound Spring 3 KTE review, my unit should be up and running in my speaker setup by next weekend (fingers crossed) and there is nothing like a little confirmation bias to help things along :wink:

I haven't gone with the preamp option as I have been more than happy with my Musical Fidelity M6 500i integrated amp for a long time now and I have zero motivation to start making changes in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back