Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 8, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #691 of 4,063
  Looks like there is trouble is special dac land
see post 208
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/holo-audio-spring-digital-analogue-converter-r2r-dsd512-29319/index9.html

After seeing this deal, I said to myself "I paid more for both (not much) this iss a better deal and the price of the Level 3 price was supposed to increase after the New Year"? Didn't make much sense to me for those who ordered before the New Year. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #692 of 4,063
  After seeing this deal, I said to myself "I paid more for both (not much) this iss a better deal and the price of the Level 3 price was supposed to increase after the New Year"? Didn't make much sense to me for those who ordered before the New Year. 

I'm just chalking it up to growing pains at a new business.  Mistakes will be made - how you deal with them is what matters.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #694 of 4,063
Really?  People were asking for retroactive deals?  Really people?  Not cool.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #696 of 4,063
Have to admit that when I saw the deal I reached out to Tim, as I had also just gotten my L3. However, then I thought better of it and dropped it. Tim's doing good work and I feel that he deserves the money he's making and a few extra dollars in my pocket was not important.

Tim doesn't make much on the Level 3's (probably less than the L1's or L2's) due to the mods, and I think the SU-1 offer was a way to incentivize purchases without cutting into muscle on the L3's margins. However, as they say - no good deed goes unpunished...

Keep up the good work Tim! 

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #698 of 4,063
  Tim's doing good work and I feel that he deserves the money he's making and a few extra dollars in my pocket was not important.

Keep up the good work Tim! 

As a business owner, I agree - Tim is doing good work.  Every business owner needs profit.  You can't expand or innovate at break-even margins.  

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #699 of 4,063
Tim was great in getting me the Holo DAC last month.  All of you lucky guys outside of Washington state don't get hit 10% sales tax.  Tim please move to Oregon :)  Looking forward to future transactions with Kitsune, hmmm....Mammoth or iCan Pro?      

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #700 of 4,063
After reading the thread that was linked in computeraudiophile, I think I'm more pumped about the PCM only and DIY models in the works. While the Spring is no doubt fantastic, I don't really need DSD and will welcome saving a decent amount of money doing some self-assembly

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #701 of 4,063
Any reviews for levels 1 and or 2, and comparison with Gungnir Multibit (and why not Yggdrasil) and Metrum Musette (and why not the Menuete as well)?

Looking at the reviews the level 3 seems to be preferred to the Yggy in NOS mode whereas the Yggy takes the lead in upsampling mode. Do you know of any player with an up sampling algorithm as good as the one implemented in Yggy that preserves the original data and “just” fills between samples?

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #702 of 4,063
  Any reviews for levels 1 and or 2, and comparison with Gungnir Multibit (and why not Yggdrasil) and Metrum Musette (and why not the Menuete as well)?

Looking at the reviews the level 3 seems to be preferred to the Yggy in NOS mode whereas the Yggy takes the lead in upsampling mode. Do you know of any player with an up sampling algorithm as good as the one implemented in Yggy that preserves the original data and “just” fills between samples?

I've had Level 1 and 2. Sounded both very similar to me. Maybe off by 2-3%. Might be placebo. I'm sure the level 3 makes it's way towards something more distinct.

In NOS mode I preferred the Spring. OS I preferred Yggdrasil.
In NOS mode I preferred the Metrum Pavane over the Holo Audio Spring but by a small amount.

If anyone is departing their Holo Audio Spring let me know. I need another for the living room.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #703 of 4,063
Received the Spring Level 3 today and took a quick listen in (NOS) with 44/96/176kHz files using my MBP (10.8.5/JRiver MC21(latest firmware) via USB. XMOS is the output clock source in MIDI set up on the Mac as well as the core audio in JRiver. The Spring displayed my 44/96 files but wouldn't display the 176 file, it displayed 96kHz during playback, and playback was fine. Has anyone encountered this issue using the above (or a windows/different software) with the Springs kHz display mode in (NOS)? FWIW my PWD-ll displayed the kHz being played without issue.

I have yet to go into JRiver setting because I'm not too familiar with them, but as I mentioned, both my MBP/JRiver is recognizing the Spring and are both selected for playback which is fine. Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #704 of 4,063
  Received the Spring Level 3 today and took a quick listen in (NOS) with 44/96/176kHz files using my MBP (10.8.5/JRiver MC21(latest firmware) via USB. XMOS is the output clock source in MIDI set up on the Mac as well as the core audio in JRiver. The Spring displayed my 44/96 files but wouldn't display the 176 file, it displayed 96kHz during playback, and playback was fine. Has anyone encountered this issue using the above (or a windows/different software) with the Springs kHz display mode in (NOS)? FWIW my PWD-ll displayed the kHz being played without issue.

I have yet to go into JRiver setting because I'm not too familiar with them, but as I mentioned, both my MBP/JRiver is recognizing the Spring and are both selected for playback which is fine. Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

I am jealous!  I cant help you since I have not received my Spring yet.  When did you order?

Regarding MC21, are you sure you dont have it set to downsample 176 files to 96? Your PWD is correctly displaying 176?

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #705 of 4,063
  I am jealous!  I cant help you since I have not received my Spring yet.  When did you order?

Regarding MC21, are you sure you dont have it set to downsample 176 files to 96? Your PWD is correctly displaying 176?

I ordered late November IIRC.
No, I didn't go into JRiver settings yet, but my PWD-ll displayed the kHz fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back