Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Mar 15, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #1,022 of 4,063
Mar 16, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #1,023 of 4,063
  So after a day with the KTE SU-1 in my setup with the KTE Holo Spring L3 DAC all I can say is wowza!
...snip...  
Soundstaging is huge, detail extraction is quite epic and just a beautiful portrayal of this great album. 

I would be hard pressed to recommend another DAC based what I'm hearing regardless of price point! Reviewing impressive gear like this is always a joy. 

I am glad to hear that you're enjoying the Spring / SU-1 combo.
Do you have any thoughts on how much the SU-1 adds to / improves the "out of the box" performance of the Spring.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,024 of 4,063
  I am glad to hear that you're enjoying the Spring / SU-1 combo.
Do you have any thoughts on how much the SU-1 adds to / improves the "out of the box" performance of the Spring.

After a few days, I think it refines the USB...smooths things out a tad and improves the sound staging as well. Truly a "holo"graphic experience (excuse the pun 
redface.gif
).
I am looking forward to your review.

Thanks! Working on it now. 
smile.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #1,025 of 4,063
After a few days, I think it refines the USB...smooths things out a tad and improves the sound staging as well. Truly a "holo"graphic experience (excuse the pun :xf_eek: ).
Thanks! Working on it now. :smile:  

I'm not sure if you have access to one, but if possible add a Schiit Wyrd to the signal chain.
Computer USB --> Wyrd USB --> SU-1 I2S --> Spring

I'd like to get your opinion on what you hear. From particularly poor computer USB output, you should hear an improvement.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #1,027 of 4,063
Yeah, really nice words.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #1,030 of 4,063
I'm not sure if you have access to one, but if possible add a Schiit Wyrd to the signal chain.
Computer USB --> Wyrd USB --> SU-1 I2S --> Spring

I'd like to get your opinion on what you hear. From particularly poor computer USB output, you should hear an improvement.

I did own the Wyrd USB a while...sold it after a few months as I personally found it had a minimal affect on the sound. The KTE SU-1 was significant. The USB on the KTE Spring DAC Level 3 is very good alone, but the KTE SU-1 really kicked things up to a new level. I was a bit skeptical at first, but after a week with it, I am very impressed.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #1,032 of 4,063
I've always been keen on film caps over liquid and what it does in sound. I can always buy a nice fuse as well. Transformers and wiring... well I'm okay with 99% copper vs silver.

I undestand that Tim doesn't make much on upgraded parts to what he sells the lvl 3 so imo value is still great for those that want the last 5-8% in sound. I choose to chase more in terms of different speakers and headphones at this point.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #1,033 of 4,063

- Denafrips dac-68
- Holo Spring (from Wildism Audio HK, Jensen Caps + Silver Transformer)

Impressions coming soon
L3000.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #1,034 of 4,063

I did own the Wyrd USB a while...sold it after a few months as I personally found it had a minimal affect on the sound. The KTE SU-1 was significant. The USB on the KTE Spring DAC Level 3 is very good alone, but the KTE SU-1 really kicked things up to a new level. I was a bit skeptical at first, but after a week with it, I am very impressed.

I'll second that.
I had a Wyrd and it didn't do a lot for my system.  I got better audible results with the Intona USB Isolator.  I also employed a Singxer SU-1 and it does a much better job than the Wyrd.  ...both are pricier, but make real differences. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,035 of 4,063
This would work well for any clean up issues with USB:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/840436/uptone-audio-usb-regen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back