Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 6, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #3,947 of 4,078
What is your asking price?

Oct 21, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #3,949 of 4,078
Don't know where else to write this, so I will just post it here. I had purchased a cable from Tim at Kitsune. I had it plugged in for a day, and it didn't mesh well with my system. I contacted Tim and asked if it was possible to send it back with the added restocking fee, if I ended up not liking it. He said that this specific item would be extremely difficult to resell, understandably so. I thought my only recourse would be to resell it on the used market. But Tim contacted me back and told me that he was going to refund me completely and in his unfathomable generosity told me that I should keep the cable as well, since reselling a used cable would be almost impossible. I have never seen someone willing to take such a loss (an expensive cable at that) to satisfy their customers. Safe to say, my next few purchases will be with Tim at Kitsune.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #3,950 of 4,078
Is there a way to make Spring 3 sound more like a Denafrip DAC i.e. thick and rounded sound by way of HQPlayer, any oversampling setting which does that, hopefully with little or no compromises, also not a big fan of EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #3,951 of 4,078
Is there a way to make Spring 3 sound more like a Denafrip DAC i.e. thick and rounded sound by way of HQPlayer, any oversampling setting which does that, hopefull with less or no compromises, also not a big fan of EQ.
You could try PCM with IIR2 oversampling with normal tpdf 24 bit dither, no noiseshaping. This gives me the densest sound.

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #3,952 of 4,078
Is there a way to make Spring 3 sound more like a Denafrip DAC i.e. thick and rounded sound by way of HQPlayer, any oversampling setting which does that, hopefully with little or no compromises, also not a big fan of EQ.
You could sell the Spring 3 if it's not to you liking and take a very minimal loss and purchase the Denafrips DAC.

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #3,953 of 4,078
You could sell the Spring 3 if it's not to you liking and take a very minimal loss and purchase the Denafrips DAC.
I like the Spring 3 overall, but there are few headphones like HE1000 V2 which sound bit thin and sibilant with my Spring 3+V550 combo as the V550 is also on the neutral side, this is to overcome that scenario, I have the HE1000 SE incoming lets see if it helps.

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #3,954 of 4,078
I like the Spring 3 overall, but there are few headphones like HE1000 V2 which sound bit thin and sibilant with my Spring 3+V550 combo as the V550 is also on the neutral side, this is to overcome that scenario, I have the HE1000 SE incoming lets see if it helps.
I also own the V2 since '18 and had it paired with the original Spring KTE--and now the current Spring 3 KTE and am really satisfied with the full bodied sound--no sibilance here at all.

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #3,955 of 4,078
I also own the V2 since '18 and had it paired with the original Spring KTE--and now the current Spring 3 KTE and am really satisfied with the full bodied sound--no sibilance here at all.
I think it is the combo with V550 which is also on neutral side making the V2 sound bit thin, can I ask which amp you are using with the Spring 3 and V2 and are you using the Spring 3 in NOS or OS via HQPlayer / Roon.

Oct 30, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #3,956 of 4,078
I think it is the combo with V550 which is also on neutral side making the V2 sound bit thin, can I ask which amp you are using with the Spring 3 and V2 and are you using the Spring 3 in NOS or OS via HQPlayer / Roon.
MacBook Pro > Roon + Tidal HIFi > Holo Red > Spring V3 KTE > WA33 w/upgraded tubes or my GS-Xmk2--I use my WA33 nearly 100% of the time. Also, the Spung V3 KTE does nor have the option for OS or NOS--it's strictly NOS. Only the earlier Spring DAC offered both.
When using my GSX-mk2 I also don't have these issue, though.

Oct 30, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #3,957 of 4,078
MacBook Pro > Roon + Tidal HIFi > Holo Red > Spring V3 KTE > WA33 w/upgraded tubes or my GS-Xmk2--I use my WA33 nearly 100% of the time. Also, the Spung V3 KTE does nor have the option for OS or NOS--it's strictly NOS. Only the earlier Spring DAC offered both.
When using my GSX-mk2 I also don't have these issue, though.
Thanks, I was asking if you are using NOS or external OS via Roon / HQPlayer.

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #3,958 of 4,078
I've already tested HQPlayer with Spring3 but I prefer to use jplay, the sound in my opinion and ears :), is more natural.
I've also tested jriver and foobar and none seemed better than jplay for playing music. I think that the fact that jplay turns off most of the Windows functions greatly benefits the sound quality.
One detail that can help a lot is building a Fanless PC like I did. There are no noises in the circuit or in the room.
I wish all these things were much easier. I tried firing up HQ player a couple of times but it's like a program from pre-windows 3.1 and a very hard-to-understand interface (for me with limited audio science experience). Wish there was simpler stuff out there to get OS from my Spring 3 KTE than roon which is nice but not hugely discernible.

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #3,959 of 4,078
I wish all these things were much easier. I tried firing up HQ player a couple of times but it's like a program from pre-windows 3.1 and a very hard-to-understand interface (for me with limited audio science experience). Wish there was simpler stuff out there to get OS from my Spring 3 KTE than roon which is nice but not hugely discernible.
Someone can help. Am at work atm so I can later if no one does.

Oct 30, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #3,960 of 4,078
It's really not that difficult. There is a learning curve but when you get into it then it's quite logical and easy to use. There's a decent manual installed on your computer with every installation of HQP. Maybe browse it through to get some idea of how HQP works.

Basic stuff to know for Holo DACs with HQP, select 20 for Bits from PCM settings. 48k DSD bit rates are supported by Holo so select that one also from the basic settings. Adjust maximum volume to -3dB, you don't want to go any higher than that to avoid intersample overs. You can also select Adaptive rate from the basic settings. From advanced window, check that Multicore DSP is greyed. And select proper settings for Backend and Device to match your gear. Also if you connect to HQP over network, you need to have Allow control over network selected from the main window/interface of HQP.

Then just play with PCM and SDM (DSD) settings to find what suits your preferences. You can get overwhelmed with the number of different filters/modulators/dither options but they're just different options to play with. You can start with default settings. You need a powerful PC to run DSD512+ with the better modulators and filters. You should get to DSD256 with little bit older computer also. All PCM rates up to 1,5mhz are much easier to play and shouldn't be a problem to any decent CPU. HQP manual has good descriptions of different modulators, filters and dithering options. In general, you want to use a filter which is apodizing. This information can be found from the manual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back