Holo Audio Red Streamer
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #1,501 of 1,883
A quick updated for those interested, the 2022.12.28 Red OS image mentioned earlier in this thread will load on my 2401 Red and Roon functionality is there.

update to 2023.03.10 = Roon yes
update to 2023.03.27 = Roon yes
update to 2023.04.15 = Roon yes
...most have followed this thread longer than I have, so you know when the cut off happens.

Ropieee 2024.1.1 for the Raspberry Pi 4 and Compute Module 4 also installs and Roon functionality is there as expected.
Have you listened to the Red with the new OS update?
If yes--were there any sound quality differences you've heard?

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #1,503 of 1,883
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #1,505 of 1,883
Have you listened to the Red with the new OS update?
If yes--were there any sound quality differences you've heard?
I've reverted to Red OS 2024.01.24 and currently stream music via HQ Player or Audirvana 3.5 - I only received the Red (and Spring 3) this week but so far both upsampled and bitperfect music sound amazing!

I can't A/B the different OS's so really can't comment on sound differences, if any.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #1,506 of 1,883
I've reverted to Red OS 2024.01.24 and currently stream music via HQ Player or Audirvana 3.5 - I only received the Red (and Spring 3) this week but so far both upsampled and bitperfect music sound amazing!

I can't A/B the different OS's so really can't comment on sound differences, if any.
Thank you--enjoy both, your new Red and Spring 3.

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #1,507 of 1,883
I have the Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2. How does the Red compare? Also, how does the Red compare to expensive summitfi alternatives? Thanks.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #1,509 of 1,883
I have the Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2. How does the Red compare? Also, how does the Red compare to expensive summitfi alternatives? Thanks.
Wouldn’t call it summit-fi but it compares very well against a Lumin U2 mini (w/Sbooster power supply mod). Native NAA support is a big draw for me personally.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #1,510 of 1,883
I recieved my RED today. Have it up an running right now at about 5 hours of play time.

I flashed Ropieee onto a new card for the time being - waiting for all the Roon related stuff to get sorted out with Red OS.

Have the RED via i2S --> Rockna Wavelight --> Rogue Audio RH-5

Running Roon directly right now ... Everything is sounding quite excellent thus far. Very impressed !

• Note for any Rockna owners --> ALT 3 is the suggested dip switch setting (per Rockna support). The Rockna DAC should stay in default setting 1 (Rockna I2S).
  • I've additionally enabled dip switch # 3 (on) to experiment later with DSD

I'll experiment with HQP NAA (through Roon plugin) later this evening and see how that goes.

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #1,511 of 1,883

I've owned many streamers across a wide price range. The Red (thus far) is doing a good job at "disapearing" and allowing the music to shine through my chain.

I've found that many sub $1.5k streamers have a digital / etched timbre and even worse, many less expensive streamers have a "collapsed" sound stage that one might perceive as in your face -- the Red has none of these negative characteristics -- it is relaxed and yet detailed at the same time -- smooth and draws no attention to itself in my chain. The sound stage appears unadulterated by the Red and permits my DAC, AMP and Headphones to conduct the show.

I'll leave it there for now as my initial opinion as I am only a few hours into this device.

Separately, if one is not using Roon, I think an argument can always be made to integrate an expensive Aurender. Absent a burning passion for the Aurender house sound, and if utilizing a Roon based library - I think the Holo Red is a very compelling product at this price point.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #1,513 of 1,883
Separately, if one is not using Roon, I think an argument can always be made to integrate an expensive Aurender. Absent a burning passion for the Aurender house sound, and if utilizing a Roon based library - I think the Holo Red is a very compelling product at this price point.
For music server may I suggest running LMS off a RPI base and optimize it's power supply (5V) and you might be much happier than Aurender especially those who are on limited budget and have a challenging mindset. See my signature on my digital front end.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #1,514 of 1,883
Finally got it working, yay. Now does anyone know if it's possible to use both USB in and out at the same time? As in input from PC, output to May?

Thanks everyone :)
I’m having the same issue as you where the rear Ethernet lights don’t come on. Rather they do at first power up, and there is a connection for maybe 20 seconds, but the it cuts out completely and won’t rejoin till it’s restarted. I managed to update firmware to release 2024.01.24 and my serial number starts with 2305.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #1,515 of 1,883
I’m having the same issue as you where the rear Ethernet lights don’t come on. Rather they do at first power up, and there is a connection for maybe 20 seconds, but the it cuts out completely and won’t rejoin till it’s restarted. I managed to update firmware to release 2024.01.24 and my serial number starts with 2305.
Streaming / Ethernet will not function as input if USB in is plugged in on boot up. USB in to out does not work to my knowledge. Ethernet to USB out and other outputs works (streaming mode); USB in to all other outputs (except USB out) works (DDC mode).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back