Holo Audio Red Streamer
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,426 of 1,943
..yes it can. I have hat the USB and I2S pluged in and both are working when I switch the dac to the source (I2S/USB)

thank you for confirming. I'd be curious if anyone has been using AES + I2S both plugged in simultaneous and swapping back/forth?

AES I believe uses higher current (intentionally) as it often is used for longer "run lengths" and this helps eliminate noise. Which is why I'm most curious about AES and I2S both plugged in at the same time.

I'll probably email Holo support alias to inquire directly.

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,429 of 1,943
Reposting Two Questions:

1. Can I2S and AES be used in "streamer" mode? I assume yes, but someone refered to these as "DDC ports" and I want to double confirm as I do not plan on using this as a DDC. Found my answer to this from @Jake2 (great post here). Just pulling forward again in the thread for others. I assume yes - as long as USB-In is not connected.

2. Why are the DIP switches numbered 1-4 on the back of the unit - but the manual refers to them as 00, 01, 10, 11 ? What am I missing? 1=Down and 2=Up is for ALT 2 --> is this correct comprehension ?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #1,430 of 1,943
Reposting Two Questions:

1. Can I2S and AES be used in "streamer" mode? I assume yes, but someone refered to these as "DDC ports" and I want to double confirm as I do not plan on using this as a DDC. Found my answer to this from @Jake2 (great post here). Just pulling forward again in the thread for others. I assume yes - as long as USB-In is not connected.

2. Why are the DIP switches numbered 1-4 on the back of the unit - but the manual refers to them as 00, 01, 10, 11 ? What am I missing? 1=Down and 2=Up is for ALT 2 --> is this correct comprehension ?
The configurations 00, 01, 10, 11 only apply for the switches 1 and 2. The selection will depend on the DAC you're using, as not all brands use the same 00 Holo configuration.

Switch 3 is for DSD and switch 4 is for MCLK frequency.

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #1,431 of 1,943
Reposting Two Questions:

I do not know the USB input mode but Ethernet input woks with AES and I2S output simultaneously.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #1,432 of 1,943
**EDIT** I have resolved this problem. The issue was in the way Roon seems to lock Audio outputs and not let them be shared. So, The Eversolo DAC-Z8 was listed as a local source because at one point I connected the DAC-Z8 directly to my PC running Roon. When I moved the DAC-Z8 away from that PC it still is listed as an available output in Roon. So, Roon would not recognize it over RAAT once it was connected to the Holo Red. Once I disabled the DAC-Z8 as a local output, it showed up as a ROON RAAT output as its own device. I am now able to output RAAT through the Holo Red to the Eversolo DAC-Z8. This is really not a very good system.

I am unable to get my Holo Red to play USB-A output to an Everzolo DAC-Z8 (USB-B input). Has anyone else tried this? I've had problems with Red USB output to a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 in the past as well. However with the DAC-Z8, there is simply no playback or anything transmitted over USB to the DAC.

I can see the Everzolo DAC-Z8 listed in the Holo Red web interface. I can select it. I have tried DSD native as well as DSD DoP just for the sake of argument. No difference. The DAC itself is detecting a USB input, indicating 384Khz on the screen. But when Roon RAAT playback is happening to the Holo Red, the DAC-Z8 VU meters do not move and there is no output from the DAC. I can get audio to play from Holo Red optical output to the DAC-Z8, but this is not optimal.

What gives? Is there an issue with the XMOS XU316 and the Holo Red? We are still looking at USB UAC 2 audio, so I expect it to just work. Has anyone else tried to use USB to an Eversolo DAC?

Signal Chain looks like this:

Code:
Roon Server RAAT --> Holo Red Ethernet --> Holo Red USB-A --> Eversolo DAC-Z8 USB-B --> XLR To Headamp

Adding a screenshot of what I see in the Red web interface. The Eversolo DAC-Z8 is selected as the output device. So again, I expect this should be working.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 11.55.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 11.55.47 AM.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #1,433 of 1,943
I am unable to get my Holo Red to play USB-A output to an Everzolo DAC-Z8 (USB-B input). Has anyone else tried this? I've had problems with Red USB output to a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 in the past as well. However with the DAC-Z8, there is simply no playback or anything transmitted over USB to the DAC.

I can see the Everzolo DAC-Z8 listed in the Holo Red web interface. I can select it. I have tried DSD native as well as DSD DoP just for the sake of argument. No difference. The DAC itself is detecting a USB input, indicating 384Khz on the screen. But when Roon RAAT playback is happening to the Holo Red, the DAC-Z8 VU meters do not move and there is no output from the DAC. I can get audio to play from Holo Red optical output to the DAC-Z8, but this is not optimal.

What gives? Is there an issue with the XMOS XU316 and the Holo Red? We are still looking at USB UAC 2 audio, so I expect it to just work. Has anyone else tried to use USB to an Eversolo DAC?
I don’t think the Red supports USB in to USB out. It supports ethernet in to everything else out (streamer mode) and USB in to everything except USB out (DDC mode) but not USB to USB.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #1,434 of 1,943
I know this is always confusing. I am network streaming from Roon to the Holo Red and using the Red's USB-A output to the DAC. I am NOT using USB input to the Holo Red and expecting USB output to the DAC. My understanding of the Holo Red is that my scenario should work fine. It works fine this way with my Holo Spring 3. I expect it should work with the Eversolo DAC Z8 as well.

I may be completely backwards, but I added a signal chain diagram to my previous post. I am still of the belief that my signal chain should work with the Holo Red. Is it not right? Does the RED only do USB output when its source is USB input? So this would be DDC mode? I am trying to network stream through the RED to its USB-A output.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #1,435 of 1,943
Hello,
if so, I would try using USB out and not connecting your usb cable to the Eversolo at the USB B port.
If you use USB B, there may be a conflict because it does not know whether to stream or use the DDC, and depending on which signal arrives first, the Red will switch accordingly.
(I suspect that Wlan/Ethernet is more likely to reach the signal if it is permanently connected to the network and so does not switch).

Therefore you can only use the Red as a streamer or DDC.
As I understand it, only the Out outputs work.
USB Out should theoretically also work as a streamer as well as DDC.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #1,436 of 1,943
I know this is always confusing. I am network streaming from Roon to the Holo Red and using the Red's USB-A output to the DAC. I am NOT using USB input to the Holo Red and expecting USB output to the DAC. My understanding of the Holo Red is that my scenario should work fine. It works fine this way with my Holo Spring 3. I expect it should work with the Eversolo DAC Z8 as well.

I may be completely backwards, but I added a signal chain diagram to my previous post. I am still of the belief that my signal chain should work with the Holo Red. Is it not right? Does the RED only do USB output when its source is USB input? So this would be DDC mode? I am trying to network stream through the RED to its USB-A output.
Chain looks right as does the config screen. Hmmm.

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #1,437 of 1,943
This has gotten even more strange! The issue seems to be somewhere within Roon RAAT. I will write this up and send it to Roon, Holo, and Eversolo. We will see if anyone responds. I will spend some time rewriting my original post to include these details, but for those following along this is a summary of what I just discovered which makes me think the issue is Roon.

HQPlayer streaming works when Roon streams to HQPlayer! HQPlayer output is NAA Holo Red: Eversolo DAC-Z8 USB! But it only works if I upsample to PCM. Any upsampling to DSD does not work. This is NOT what I was expecting! I have tried HQplayer upsampling DSD 512 over network to the Holo Red and out to my Holo Spring 3, so I know that works. But the Eversolo DAC-Z8 does not work with DSD from the Red (DoP or Native).

Roon RAAT works to the Holo Red, but only when Red outputs digital optical out! It will not output USB on the Red which is the origin of my entire problem. But Red will stream USB output from HQplayer NAA! This is all so strange.

I will have to write this up later this evening with some screenshots and configs. But for now, this has all been very weird.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,438 of 1,943
This has gotten even more strange! The issue seems to be somewhere within Roon RAAT. I will write this up and send it to Roon, Holo, and Eversolo. We will see if anyone responds. I will spend some time rewriting my original post to include these details, but for those following along this is a summary of what I just discovered which makes me think the issue is Roon.

HQPlayer streaming works when Roon streams to HQPlayer! HQPlayer output is NAA Holo Red: Eversolo DAC-Z8 USB! But it only works if I upsample to PCM. Any upsampling to DSD does not work. This is NOT what I was expecting! I have tried HQplayer upsampling DSD 512 over network to the Holo Red and out to my Holo Spring 3, so I know that works. But the Eversolo DAC-Z8 does not work with DSD from the Red (DoP or Native).

Roon RAAT works to the Holo Red, but only when Red outputs digital optical out! It will not output USB on the Red which is the origin of my entire problem. But Red will stream USB output from HQplayer NAA! This is all so strange.

I will have to write this up later this evening with some screenshots and configs. But for now, this has all been very weird.

Hilowe.

If it is issue with DSD and you have not tried, please try to disable all audio devices in Roon audio settings except for HQ Player. This a known issue with Theysycon drivers when more than one application is using the device at the same time.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #1,439 of 1,943
Red arriving hopefully before the Chinese New Year impacts production. A couple of questions:
  1. Can USB output PCM 1.536 MHz when the Red is an HQP NAA? (e.g. to a Spring 3)
    ...the manual lists USB digital output of 1.536 MHz, but the Kitsune website states "USB is limited by linux kernel and also support DSD512 and PCM768K right now we are working on a new kernel that should support DSD1024 and PCM1536K in future release"
  2. Are the inputs/outputs electrically isolated - I don't see a tell-tale break in the PCB

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #1,440 of 1,943
Red arriving hopefully before the Chinese New Year impacts production. A couple of questions:
  1. Can USB output PCM 1.536 MHz when the Red is an HQP NAA? (e.g. to a Spring 3)
    ...the manual lists USB digital output of 1.536 MHz, but the Kitsune website states "USB is limited by linux kernel and also support DSD512 and PCM768K right now we are working on a new kernel that should support DSD1024 and PCM1536K in future release"
  2. Are the inputs/outputs electrically isolated - I don't see a tell-tale break in the PCB
Healo.

1. Yes
2. No

Users who are viewing this thread

Back