Holo Audio Red Streamer
Oct 25, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,321 of 1,943
I'm listening to loudspeakers 90% of the time.
The DI-20HE is a pure DDC and offers more options, while the strength of the Red is its polyvalence as a device.

As pure DDCs, the quality of these devices is similar but not identical.
The USB input of the Red has a slightly better galvanic isolation than the one of the DI-20HE. If your source is not clean, you may get better results with the Red.
With a clean source, the way I'm using it, the sound with the DI-20HE is more refined with an additional layer of sonic textures.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

as "not clean source" you mean a PC or Laptop and as "Clean source" a streamer as example?

In other comparation looks like the Audio GD DI-20HE have more deep bass and articulation, you agree?

And what's about stereo image tridimensionality (more deep and wide)? Also here the Audio GD is better?

Oct 25, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #1,322 of 1,943
Thanks a lot for your reply.

as "not clean source" you mean a PC or Laptop and as "Clean source" a streamer as example?

In other comparation looks like the Audio GD DI-20HE have more deep bass and articulation, you agree?

And what's about stereo image tridimensionality (more deep and wide)? Also here the Audio GD is better?
USB source is not always clean, even with streamers, and all streamers are not equal in this regard. For best results, an enhanced isolation is required.

On my system, the sound of the Red and the DI-20HE are close. Bass, and stereo imaging are similar.
The DI-20 has a 'touch of magic' with a more organic and somehow more natural sound.
The difference is small, that's why I qualified it as a refinement.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #1,324 of 1,943
USB source is not always clean, even with streamers, and all streamers are not equal in this regard. For best results, an enhanced isolation is required.

On my system, the sound of the Red and the DI-20HE are close. Bass, and stereo imaging are similar.
The DI-20 has a 'touch of magic' with a more organic and somehow more natural sound.
The difference is small, that's why I qualified it as a refinement.
The measurements suggest that the red is a very clean USB source so.....

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #1,325 of 1,943
Got lucky and found a used Holo Red. First experience with it hasn’t been entirely seamless though. My use case is Red as a Roon endpoint using the USB out to my DAC. Unfortunately with RedOS I would get an intermittent crackle/pop sound. I tried a few things (turning off all other services, different cable lengths) but I still got crackles. So I ended up installing ropieee onto it and it has been smooth sailing since. Idk why RedOS doesn’t play nicely with my DAC over USB, but I’m glad it’s resolved. Just wanted to put my solution out there if anyone runs into a similar issue with their Red.

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #1,326 of 1,943
Got lucky and found a used Holo Red. First experience with it hasn’t been entirely seamless though. My use case is Red as a Roon endpoint using the USB out to my DAC. Unfortunately with RedOS I would get an intermittent crackle/pop sound. I tried a few things (turning off all other services, different cable lengths) but I still got crackles. So I ended up installing ropieee onto it and it has been smooth sailing since. Idk why RedOS doesn’t play nicely with my DAC over USB, but I’m glad it’s resolved. Just wanted to put my solution out there if anyone runs into a similar issue with their Red.
It could possibly cause a conflict with Amanero, which is supposedly installed in the Amber.
Maybe not necessarily on the hardware side, but software with different protocols I can imagine.
Nice to read that Roopie is worry-free 😉.

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #1,327 of 1,943
Just try my luck here and hope admin don't mind, I am looking for a used red in Singapore, who wish to sell please private message me.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #1,328 of 1,943
My Red (located in the Netherlands) is now for sale for € 925. Sounds like a lot but this includes the Synergistic Research Purple fuse.

The reason that I am selling is a combination of
(1) I use the Red only as DDC
(2) I already had a DI20HE as DDC
(3) In terms of sound quality both are at the same level to my ears, just a slight character difference (Red better clarity and detail, DI20HE more warmth and lushness)
(4) The Red fetches more than the DI20HE on the 2nd hand market -- and rightly so as it is newer and more versatile (more outputs, streamer, other OS'es, etc.) than the DI20HE.

December 2022 invoice from Magna Hifi available. Includes SD card with Red OS.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,329 of 1,943
Hylo.

How many Redders have compared HQP NAA image to Red OG and can cite differences with equal, controlled gear/settings?

Oct 28, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #1,330 of 1,943
My Red (located in the Netherlands) is now for sale for € 925. Sounds like a lot but this includes the Synergistic Research Purple fuse.

The reason that I am selling is a combination of
(1) I use the Red only as DDC
(2) I already had a DI20HE as DDC
(3) In terms of sound quality both are at the same level to my ears, just a slight character difference (Red better clarity and detail, DI20HE more warmth and lushness)
(4) The Red fetches more than the DI20HE on the 2nd hand market -- and rightly so as it is newer and more versatile (more outputs, streamer, other OS'es, etc.) than the DI20HE.

December 2022 invoice from Magna Hifi available. Includes SD card with Red OS.
You made an interesting decision, @bodiebill2 . I may do like you for the same reasons.
My Red will include the lifetime licenses of Diretta and GentooPlayer, as well as six months of remaining subscription to the CLTO kernels.

January 2023 invoice from Magna Hifi.
Location in France.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #1,331 of 1,943
Hylo.

How many Redders have compared HQP NAA image to Red OG and can cite differences with equal, controlled gear/settings?
I have and for HQP use, the dedicated NAA image sounded slightly better than OG Red image. Obviously with NAA image, you lose all other functionality but it’s ok to me since I only play through HQP.

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #1,333 of 1,943
I prefer RopieeeXL, because there you've the newer NAA compared to the Red OS and you're able to use the Red in parallel as Roon endpoint or use it as two endpoints.
But it depends on, how to use the Red in your system.
I tried RopieeeXL also but it sounded pretty much the same than Red OS. HQP NAA was the best sounding option and for HQP-only use, the lightest option since it only runs the HQP NAA. But obviously if you need other functionality than HQP-bridge then it's a no-go.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #1,334 of 1,943
Well, regardless which OS you prefre good thing is micro sd card is so cheap, just keep all the OS and power off and swap it out and power on, most OS boot up under a min. You don't really loose functionality.

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,335 of 1,943
When I had my Red, Holo was behind in updating the NAA image so I ran Jussi's NAA image.
It always sounded better to me and I only used the Red as NAA.
Has Holo updated the NAA image ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back