Holo Audio Red Streamer
May 17, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #933 of 1,871
Based on early positive subjective reviews and the fact that GoldenSound had measured the Holo Red to have approximately half the jitter levels of the Pi2AES and Mercury V1, I went ahead and ordered the Holo Red. I got it earlier this week and use it strictly in streamer mode with I2S output. Although I have immensely enjoyed my Pi2AES, early impressions are that my Holo Red is noticeably better than my Pi2AES/RPi4b combination - even when they were powered by a high-end Ferrum Hypsos PSU at 30v (yes, I tried lower voltages, but 30v is within allowable range and sounded best to me). I'm still burning in my Holo Red, so it should only continue to get smoother and more refined. Areas where I notice most improvement over my Pi2AES is in the definition and control of heavy bass notes and in the smoother and cleaner reproduction of difficult tracks with high level snare drum and cymbal passages. I'm hesitant to post further comments until my Holo Red has had a chance to finish burning in and I can sit down and comment on the A-B of specific tracks.
The red shows the effects of burn-in very drastically in my opinion. Heavily smoothed out after the first week, after the first month it settled in and has no harshness

May 17, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #934 of 1,871
I placed my order for the Red as well. Has anyone used the AES input on this device? Is it as strong as the USB? I generally connect my gaming pc to USB and I have had the PI2AES connected to the Yggy AES port.
AES sounds excellent, and is less sensitive to cables, etc than the I2S output

May 19, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #937 of 1,871
May 19, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #938 of 1,871
Why do not you measure the other outputs like Toslink? I believe Pi2AES has a jitter of around 650 (Wiim’s roughly 750). I'm so curious about the jitter performance of this streamer.
I can measure toslink out once I'm back.

May 20, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #939 of 1,871
I got a May / Bliss KTE this week and was considering a Red to go with it. I currently run Roon via my Synology, to a Ropieee endpoint via USB to the May.

If I get the Red, can I feasibly do away with Roon system I have and use the Red as a steamer for Tidal using Connect via my phone, and not lose sound quality? I note that many people seem to use Roon as well as Red and wondering the reason is why I ask.

Otherwise I could use the Red in DDC mode and keep my Roon endpoint, however that is not a noisy device (like a PC for ex) and I wonder if it will make any audiable difference at all.

I am very open to buying one, and I prefer the thought of using it as a streamer in place of Roon, but am not experienced with this product yet so thought I would ask.

May 20, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #940 of 1,871
Red arrived four days ago! Picked it up from a friend. I am running Ethernet to Red and then Red to May through USB. May shares with Serene for 2ch setup and Bliss for HP setup through a Goldpoint switch.

This Red is heavy and solid and seems to be so well built. Easy to set up and I am not skilled at all that. Used the suggested IP address finder to get the Red IP address in order to set it up.

Works great! Is super clean sounding. Hard to comment more since my experience with streamers is limited to Zen Streamer. Red always is noticeable when I open Roon. IFi Zen Streamer can be finicky about always showing up.

May 20, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #941 of 1,871
Red arrived four days ago! Picked it up from a friend. I am running Ethernet to Red and then Red to May through USB. May shares with Serene for 2ch setup and Bliss for HP setup through a Goldpoint switch.

This Red is heavy and solid and seems to be so well built. Easy to set up and I am not skilled at all that. Used the suggested IP address finder to get the Red IP address in order to set it up.

Works great! Is super clean sounding. Hard to comment more since my experience with streamers is limited to Zen Streamer. Red always is noticeable when I open Roon. IFi Zen Streamer can be finicky about always showing up.

Will you be keeping Roon in your system? My intention for the Red would be to ditch Roon, and use the Red via Tidal Connect but I have not seen many people here doing that, most seem to be using Roon also and I am not understanding with it would be needed with the Red in situ.

Can anyone comment on the experience using Tidal Connect? The only reference to it I can see in this thread was about it being finnicky with versions of Tidal and so on.

May 20, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #942 of 1,871
Will you be keeping Roon in your system? My intention for the Red would be to ditch Roon, and use the Red via Tidal Connect but I have not seen many people here doing that, most seem to be using Roon also and I am not understanding with it would be needed with the Red in situ.

Can anyone comment on the experience using Tidal Connect? The only reference to it I can see in this thread was about it being finnicky with versions of Tidal and so on.
I will keep running Roon in the system. With one Core I can use Roon with a couple HP setups and a couple streamers. And I feel less tethered and I like how Roon controls Tidal, Qobuz and the music stored on my Core.

Running Red via Tidal Connect seems like a good possibility but I will let someone comment that has tried it.

May 21, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #943 of 1,871
I am very open to buying one, and I prefer the thought of using it as a streamer in place of Roon, but am not experienced with this product yet so thought I would ask.

A friend of mine has a Red, uses Tidal and I like it. Do you have a NAS or regularly play music from other digital sources? I hated the idea of having to use Roon and pay for it but now I'm bummed because I can't see myself parting from Roon; it's really nice and a great eco-system. I have a NAS with Roon Core with 7.8TB of hi rez songs that I access regularly but also use Qobuz a lot and sometimes Tidal; I can combine tracks from all three on one playlist. I'm using Roon with a dedicated iPad that makes it all seamless and enjoyable to search, navigate & organize, it makes it easy peasy and very much worth the expense; it's turns a complicated system into a simple push and play that sounds amazing. I'm not saying there isn't a better way to control a digital audio rig with multiple sources but I couldn't imagine or want to go with something else (as of right now).

Having said that, if you don't have a NAS or multiple streaming services to combine & access into one system and only want to use say Tidal or Qobuz by themselves, then you don't necessarily need Roon.
I really like Qobuz's software as a standalone, Tidal Connect is also very good; they're just slightly different and mileage may vary. I hope this helps?

PS: The Red is a tidy bit of kit, that sounds very nice, has a small footprint.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #944 of 1,871

I use Tidal connect every day. Stable, minimalistic setup. Last time I tested, there was no difference in sound or it was not big enough to stay with upnp+audirvana+tidal. I just go tidal connect in a few seconds if I want to listen to the music.

May 21, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #945 of 1,871
Thank you all for the helpful responses. I use Roon in a entirely streaming-based way, I do have over 2TB of local music but everything I listen to is done via Tidal. The reason I use Roon is that to my ears, the sound is better with Roon / Endpoint than direct using the native Tidal app. Honestly, if I could do away with Roon and get great results with the Red that suggests I will than that alone makes it an easy decision for me.

Question really remains do I go for the KTE version w/purple fuse (probably what I will do) or regular.

I also note the Red with Farad3 for sale here at around twice the cost of a regular, not an expense I want to incur having just bought the rest but perhaps there is a reason compelling enough to make it a consideration?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back