Holo Audio Red Streamer
May 2, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #872 of 1,920
Which website can I buy Red streamer?

I am located in UAE Dubai, did check kitsunehifi.com but it seems like they only ship to USA and Canada. Is their any official site from Holo Audio for International shipping, other than USA?

May 2, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #874 of 1,920
May 3, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #877 of 1,920
May 3, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #878 of 1,920
I placed my order for the Red as well. Has anyone used the AES input on this device? Is it as strong as the USB? I generally connect my gaming pc to USB and I have had the PI2AES connected to the Yggy AES port.
I prefer actually the AES to USB...

May 3, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #880 of 1,920
tl;dr - Adding Holo Red to an older Holo May (USB 2.0) will require the USB 2.1 upgrade module if you plan to play higher than 705k.

Instructions

1) Order Holo Red
2) If your Holo May has the older USB 2.0 (open and verify XMOS = USB 2.0 & Altera = USB 2.1).
3) Contact your dealer (kitsune in US) via contact and ask for a swap, which will cost you $100 & shipping your old USB 2.0 module back.
4) Download videos and follow instructions
5) Remove bottom 10 screws first
6) Remove rear 3 screws
7) Slowly slide back as shown in video. I didn't have to remove the ribbon if you lay it down with the screen on a cloth
8) Remove 2 screws from USB module and unplug
9) Swap and do reverse steps to reassemble

Good to go!

I made the mistake and forgot about the USB 2.0 vs 2.1 with non intel CPU's. While you wait your 4-6w, you might well do the swap. Hope this is helpful for others!

May 3, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #881 of 1,920
So how is everyone getting the best sound out of the Red? I will have my pc running Roon and connected to the USB input of the DAC and the Red on the AES input of the DAC. I have several FLAC files for critical listening and use Spotify and Youtube for EDM music. Will I gain any advantage using HQPlayer? The DAC does PCM and DSD and NOS is possible.

May 3, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #882 of 1,920
tl;dr - Adding Holo Red to an older Holo May (USB 2.0) will require the USB 2.1 upgrade module if you plan to play higher than 705k.

Instructions

1) Order Holo Red
2) If your Holo May has the older USB 2.0 (open and verify XMOS = USB 2.0 & Altera = USB 2.1).
3) Contact your dealer (kitsune in US) via contact and ask for a swap, which will cost you $100 & shipping your old USB 2.0 module back.
6) Remove rear 3 screws
7) Slowly slide back as shown in video. I didn't have to remove the ribbon if you lay it down with the screen on a cloth

Good to go!

I made the mistake and forgot about the USB 2.0 vs 2.1 with non intel CPU's. While you wait your 4-6w, you might well do the swap. Hope this is helpful for others!
How does the older module impact DSD playback with the Red?

May 3, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #883 of 1,920
May 3, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #884 of 1,920
Some intelligible documentation would help immensely. For example, the term "USB Redirector" is not a term most users are going to be familiar with. Secondly, separating out how one uses the RED as a DDC vs. as a streamer would be extremely helpful. If it didn't sound so good I would have dumped it. The documentation is useless.

May 4, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #885 of 1,920

Instructions

1) Order Holo Red
6) Remove rear 3 screws

Good to go!

Is there a software based solution to find out is May has USB 2,0 or USB2.1 without opening it up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back