Holo Audio Red Streamer
Feb 9, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #601 of 1,871
Refering to the earlier discussion here I am still trying to imagine how some high end streamer like e.g Auralic will create a bigger stage presentation than Red or even Zen Stream (e.g by using galvanic Isolation).
My imagination reaches up to DACs and Amps creating such effects - but (bitperfect) digital transports? 🙄
Have never heard such high end stuff myself though
A pretty significant variable, in my opinion, relevant to the ultimate sound you get from RPI-based devices (like the Red) is the OS you choose.

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #602 of 1,871
Refering to the earlier discussion here I am still trying to imagine how some high end streamer like e.g Auralic will create a bigger stage presentation than Red or even Zen Stream (e.g by using galvanic Isolation).
My imagination reaches up to DACs and Amps creating such effects - but (bitperfect) digital transports? 🙄
Have never heard such high end stuff myself though
agree w brillo, surprising all that can impact stage and imaging, cables, dac, streamer, amp, preamp, speaker positioning, room, the list goes on. i always feel better when measurements and a clear understanding of why there is a difference corroborate my ear’s findings, but at the end of the day while i enjoy understanding the science my ear’s impression are all that matters. i live for moments like the red, when the affordable option trumps the pricy stuff. i wish it happened more often.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #603 of 1,871
Am having a problem with the sd card slot. it will no long hold the card into place when inserting. No clicking to lock it in.
I have tried all the internet hacks but to no avail.
Anyone else having this problem?
Unless i can find a fix, it looks like my unit will have to be sent back for repair/replacement
I hope not because trying to get a timely response from kitsune has the probability between slim and none

Feb 11, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #606 of 1,871
From my experience somewhat closer to none … hope you can find a resolution.
you are correct, i was trying to be optimistic. I hope i can find a (quick) resolution too, as i have a beautiful, red brick right now. Thanks for your kind words.
Apparently, so many are forgiving and acceptant of it and just make excuses. I know in the businesses i have owned and run for others, it would never be accepted ... just ask the trail of fired employees. But, not all share my business standards, morals and ethics and i am but one. There are many ways to run a business.

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #607 of 1,871
you are correct, i was trying to be optimistic. I hope i can find a (quick) resolution too, as i have a beautiful, red brick right now. Thanks for your kind words.
Apparently, so many are forgiving and acceptant of it and just make excuses. I know in the businesses i have owned and run for others, it would never be accepted ... just ask the trail of fired employees. But, not all share my business standards, morals and ethics and i am but one. There are many ways to run a business.
The quickest way I have found to get a reply from Tim is to reply to an email that he has sent to you.
Still takes a couple of days though, micro business with macro sales is always a challenge.
Currently, it seems like everything is always a challenge, at least for me.
Tim has always gotten back to me and taken care of business.
Could it possibly be the SD card itself that is the issue?

Feb 11, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #608 of 1,871
@muslhead I would try to loosen some screws and look if the slot is in the right position. Sometimes 1mm counts. I have had this problem with some Raspberry Pi cases...

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #609 of 1,871
Am having a problem with the sd card slot. it will no long hold the card into place when inserting. No clicking to lock it in.
I have tried all the internet hacks but to no avail.
Anyone else having this problem?
Unless i can find a fix, it looks like my unit will have to be sent back for repair/replacement
I hope not because trying to get a timely response from kitsune has the probability between slim and none
You opened two total of three tickets with us. One was before you placed your order in December and has been long closed out. And two tickets yesterday were opened from you, one at 3:45pm and one at 3:47pm saying basically the same thing. You having problems with your red and it’s memory card slot.
I replied today, as a friend told me you posted on here saying you had trouble getting ahold of me. Not sure what the problem is, I do know some random emails will block our customer service email from zendesk but does not seem to be the case with your open tickets. As we did receive them. And I’ve searched for other messages with your name in case you used another email. Sorry it took so long :wink: but I did message you an RMA number and address to return. Can repair, or replace, and cover the return shipping. If you did not get this, let me know.

-Tim
KitsuneHiFi and HoloAudioUSA

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #610 of 1,871
You opened two total of three tickets with us. One was before you placed your order in December and has been long closed out. And two tickets yesterday were opened from you, one at 3:45pm and one at 3:47pm saying basically the same thing. You having problems with your red and it’s memory card slot.
I replied today, as a friend told me you posted on here saying you had trouble getting ahold of me. Not sure what the problem is, I do know some random emails will block our customer service email from zendesk but does not seem to be the case with your open tickets. As we did receive them. And I’ve searched for other messages with your name in case you used another email. Sorry it took so long :wink: but I did message you an RMA number and address to return. Can repair, or replace, and cover the return shipping. If you did not get this, let me know.

-Tim
KitsuneHiFi and HoloAudioUSA
Please reread my prior post, I never said i had a problem getting a hold of you on THIS issue. It was prior to the order
I did not get anything from kitsunehifi today.
I just sent an email informing you of the same information. I included an additional email requesting a cc in case your emails are getting blocked at the original email i provided and ordered from (I checked spam and there is nothing there)
FYI your website created an error when submitting the first request. I got a notification window after sending, from godaddy (assuming they are your host) saying there was an error and my request did not go through. Therefore, the reason for the second message a few minutes later with, essentially, the same content. Its not like the message on your home page in bold capitals regarding response times was ignored. The last thing i would want would be to add more to your workload. You may want to look into the error i got as I may not be the only one (no, i did not take a screen shot or save the exact wording so its likely gonna be difficult to recreate). Additionally, prior to the purchase i sent in an additional 2-3 inquries about the red's product capabilities which were never responded to or if they were, i never got them. Based upon your above response, you did not receive them either. Another website issue?
The only email i have received from you was the order confirmation, order updates and you complaining the phone number i provided was bad. Every other attempt to get a response failed.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #611 of 1,871
The SR Purple fuse has been installed and has definitely made the music more focused and cleaner sounding.
The burn in on the Purple was not as painful as what I have experienced with the Orange.

In actual listening at idle, this is a very very very quiet device, my system noise floor has improved.
I can hear it ( or not hear it ) through my Avantgarde Duo Omega horns, sorry no head gear in my house.

Usage has been exclusively as HQPlayer NAA and has performed flawlessly at PCM 1.4/1.5 MHz and DSD256 rates.
Does anyone know what NAA image is on the Red OS?
Rumor has it that Jussi has released 4.3.1, hopefully Holo Audio will keep up with NAA updates in a timely manor.

Digital path that is currently in use and sounding quite nice;
switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore Optical Module Deluxe -> Fiber -> Uptone EtherREGEN with Emperor Signature Clock -> Ethernet -> Holo Red -> USB -> Holo Audio May KTE

Feb 11, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #612 of 1,871
I would love to hear some impression comparing Holo Red to the iFi Zen stream. Which one is better and in what way?

Feb 11, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #613 of 1,871
Hi Patu,

Yes, I own both the HoloAudiio Red and the iFi Zen Stream and today I also received the iFi Neo Stream. Soon I can give you a comparison of the three!

All three have different sound characters:relaxed:

Rgds

Goran

Any updates Goran? Thanks!

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #614 of 1,871
OK Red heads...

I am loving Red as a streamer, Using either i2s+PLL or USB to feed May KTE. They both sound the same, within the limits of a $50 Amazon HDMI cable, and slightly better detail with a very expensive USB cable. I dont need to reboot Red or restart HQP to switch between now. Yay!

This meets all of my real needs, but...

Sometimes I like to use other software, for example Audirvana Studio.

Closing Roon and HQP, rebooting everything, including Red, most of the time, Red does not show up on Audirvana available device list. The one time it did, It was glitchy, and limited to 96/24. SysOptimizer seems to be having issues too. USB or i2s makes no difference here.

I do have uPNP enabled on Red. Audirvana supports only uPNP, right?

Computer is a M1 MacBook Pro, fully loaded. All software and Red are fully updated.

Is there anything else I am missing here? Suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #615 of 1,871
OK Red heads...

I am loving Red as a streamer, Using either i2s+PLL or USB to feed May KTE. They both sound the same, within the limits of a $50 Amazon HDMI cable, and slightly better detail with a very expensive USB cable. I dont need to reboot Red or restart HQP to switch between now. Yay!

This meets all of my real needs, but...

Sometimes I like to use other software, for example Audirvana Studio.

Closing Roon and HQP, rebooting everything, including Red, most of the time, Red does not show up on Audirvana available device list. The one time it did, It was glitchy, and limited to 96/24. SysOptimizer seems to be having issues too. USB or i2s makes no difference here.

I do have uPNP enabled on Red. Audirvana supports only uPNP, right?

Is there anything else I am missing here? Suggestions appreciated!
Yep, UPNP for Audirvana
Is Audirvana running on the same server as Roon/HQPlayer.
If yes, check to shutdown the other services before starting Audirvana as these could potentially conflict with each other.
For restarting UPNP you don't need to reboot but only check/uncheck the service checkBox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back