Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 22, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #451 of 1,889
Thanks for reply!

-Fully updated Red software.
-The 2.0 is the older module, the newer module "supposedly" only affects AMD CPU, which both mine are intel.
-Tried straight run ethernet and my optical conversion, both result in the issue (distortion at 1536)
-1536 works if Red is bypassed (direct USB).

At a loss, thinking of selling it off.
Every now and then I have gotten distortion during playback, almost as though the DAC can't lock, occurs with and without PLL enabled.
The solution is to power cycle the DAC, not the power supply unit.
Have you tried this?

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #452 of 1,889
Thanks for reply!

-Fully updated Red software.
-The 2.0 is the older module, the newer module "supposedly" only affects AMD CPU, which both mine are intel.
-Tried straight run ethernet and my optical conversion, both result in the issue (distortion at 1536)
-1536 works if Red is bypassed (direct USB).

At a loss, thinking of selling it off.
If you have the 2.0 module you might not be able to do 1.536Mhz. You need an intel CPU for that.
Contact your dealer though, you can get the upgrade card for a small amount or free in some cases

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #453 of 1,889
If true, the RED OS does not control volume
Not saying you are wrong but I thought the render (using dlna) is the controller of volume. the next thing in the chain after the renderer is the player and dac.
Trying another player (volumio) i cannot get any volume out of it either. Interestingly, when digging through the volumio settings, the only output it see from the RED is i2s (it does not provide me a usb pulldown option) so no wonder there is no output if it is set to i2s and i am using usb. How do i make the RED default to usb?
When setting it up i put usb as the default.
This is really a struggle getting it to work with anything but the provided OS.
About Volumio, as fr user manual
FB8F4929-1676-4B8B-A6BF-60BACCB09927.jpeg

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #454 of 1,889
I’ve seen conflicting info, if I’m using the I2s option and using this as a streamer, is this acting as a ddc as well?

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #457 of 1,889
I’ve seen conflicting info, if I’m using the I2s option and using this as a streamer, is this acting as a ddc as well?
Depends on what youre referring to here by 'acting as a DDC' but the answer is probably yes. Can you explain what you're meaning a bit?

Jan 22, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #459 of 1,889
Anyone selling a Red Holo in the USA? I just ordered a Directstream MKII and need a way to feed it via Ethernet. I have an EtherRegen and wondering if it will still be needed since MKII has galvanic isolation.

I was going to place an order for a Red, but if I can save some cash I’d consider a used one from someone who ordered but doesn’t fit their needs.

Jan 22, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #461 of 1,889
Depends on what youre referring to here by 'acting as a DDC' but the answer is probably yes. Can you explain what you're meaning a bit?
I have it set up as Ethernet in, I2s out into the Rockna. I’m using it as a streamer, is the DDC mode working as well or is that only an option if I’m not streaming from the red?

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #462 of 1,889
I have it set up as Ethernet in, I2s out into the Rockna. I’m using it as a streamer, is the DDC mode working as well or is that only an option if I’m not streaming from the red?
If you specifically mean is the USB input working, no, you have to reboot the device to switch between ethernet input and USB input.

If you are referring to what is happening in terms of clocking etc its the same no matter what

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #463 of 1,889
If you specifically mean is the USB input working, no, you have to reboot the device to switch between ethernet input and USB input.

If you are referring to what is happening in terms of clocking etc its the same no matter what
Yeah I meant in regards to clocking. So when using the I2s it must use the virtual usb reclocking that I’ve read about.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #464 of 1,889
Yeah I meant in regards to clocking. So when using the I2s it must use the virtual usb reclocking that I’ve read about.
With any I2S source (or AES/SPDIF), the source device be it a streamer or DDC is the master clock.
A clock signal is provided from that device to the connected DAC and the DAC then uses that for conversion. Whether there is any buffering/PLL etc done in the DAC is dependent on the DAC.

So with any streamer using I2S it's not that it's 'acting as a DDC' so to speak, just that that's how I2S/AES/SPDIF inherently work.
USB does not carry an audio clock signal so USB 'reclocking' isn't really a thing. A more accurate description would just be a USB repeater, but of course that's less marketing friendly :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back