Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 18, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #362 of 1,923
1) No, it's not a DAC, it's a digital only device intended for feeding a DAC, similar to an iFi Neo Stream, Audio-GD DI20HE, Singxer SU-6 etc

2) Yes, it can be used either as a network streamer or USB DDC. (Need to reboot to change modes though).
You can use either the clean USB out or the I2S/AES/SPDIF outputs in either mode.
I thought iFi Neo Stream had analoge outputs?

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #363 of 1,923
Same, got a text today estimating to deliver Monday
Does yours show 2 piece IDs?
I ordered a bliss too so not sure if they’re shipping together?

Attachments

• 9974AC4A-5C84-4E55-A63E-F07939B56768.jpeg
    9974AC4A-5C84-4E55-A63E-F07939B56768.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #365 of 1,923
Mine says one, so it's likely the Bliss is with it I'd imagine.
Ok cool. I appreciate you taking the time to check and respond. Thank you!

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #366 of 1,923
@GoldenOne If the Red can take a USB signal from a PC and send a clean and Isolated USB to the dac through its USB out, would that be better than i2s? I don't know if the dac would still be async that way vs sync in i2s. But my guess it wouldn't make a difference. I know USB is technically better, but even when I had the may I preferred its i2s input vs its USB as great as it is.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #367 of 1,923
@GoldenOne If the Red can take a USB signal from a PC and send a clean and Isolated USB to the dac through its USB out, would that be better than i2s? I don't know if the dac would still be async that way vs sync in i2s. But my guess it wouldn't make a difference. I know USB is technically better, but even when I had the may I preferred its i2s input vs its USB as great as it is.
Depends on the DAC.
Some DACs have crappy USB and fairly un-bottlenecked I2S inputs.
Some DACs have amazing USB and maybe a strong PLL on the I2S input where you're gonna get no difference or maybe a slightly better result with USB.

Really is situational unfortunately. General answer is try both and see which you prefer.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #371 of 1,923
Unboxing of Holo Audio RED
1.jpg

Having opened the packaging container, Holo RED meets us with two more boxes:

DSC04394.jpg

In the upper box, by tradition, there was a power cable, and ... a flash drive!

IMG_6634.jpg

In the bottom box, the unpacking hero himself is already waiting for us:

IMG_6635.jpg

The freed neat, perfectly assembled, red bar also unexpectedly pleases with its weight, which does not colorize with its dimensions:

DSC04403.jpg

Here is another example of the small dimensions of RED compared to Holo Spring:

DSC04420.jpg

A few more portraits as a bonus:

DSC04410.jpg

DSC04416.jpg

DSC04415.jpg

Next, it is expected to warm up and test in 2 stages:

1) Warming up and testing the streamer itself with a regular Internet connection. Time reference - 3-5 days.
2) The second one is connecting through “cleared shores” courtesy of @LKir and @Nirealto . “Berega” includes: kit with LBP Teddy Pardo, power cables from Fedotov and LAN cables AQ with GCR), i2s HDMI cable RAL and fuse SR Purple. Also, just in case, we put a Samsung EVO MicroSD card, which proved to be good along with the Wolf. I'll figure it out myself as I go along.
The time reference is after January 23, when the above-mentioned nishtyaks arrive.

I will compare with my iMac:

DSC03911.jpg

If anyone is interested, I can post a review later.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #372 of 1,923
I'm shocked!

1.jpg

I connected it to a cold one without warming up via i2s with simple cables. And I'm shocked guys! I have goosebumps! And it's at 3 am! How could you cram so much sound into such a small box! Awe and awe for this little box! And to those who developed it! No words!

How much does it cost? Give me two!

Bravo!
:L3000:

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #373 of 1,923
I'm shocked!

I connected it to a cold one without warming up via i2s with simple cables. And I'm shocked guys! I have goosebumps! And it's at 3 am! How could you cram so much sound into such a small box! Awe and awe for this little box! And to those who developed it! No words!

How much does it cost? Give me two!

Bravo! :L3000:
Did you use any streamer or DDC before it ? They do have positive impact on chain

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #374 of 1,923
Received mine. Setup was a snap. Dropped in sd card, hooked up ethernet, usb out to holo may. Selected UAC enhanced via ip on browser and off to the races.

I was using a node nl130. Hated bluos, especially needing low rez cover art, reindexing manually after every addition to library, no bit or frequency filtering, etc. With asset unpnp and mconnect I am a happy camper.

Great tech for a very reasonable price. Looking forward to goldenone measurements but my ears are satisfied listening to the red straight out of the box.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #375 of 1,923
A comparative evaluation of the sonic performances of a "red streamer" vs a singxer SU-6 vs a Pi 2 Design - Mercury Streamer V2 would be very interesting at this moment, and I am hoping there is a member of the head-fi community who can do it.

At least I would be interested in hearing or reading such a comparative assessment. Many thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back