Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #346 of 1,883
Jan 15, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #347 of 1,883
How good is the (software) support from Holo? Is there any documentation about installing third-party software?
e.g. Custom DT Blob, Overlays or drivers required.
Is the TF card image available for download anywhere?

S.
For installing third party software you can use any Pi4 compatible image as you normally would, just flash to the SD card and away you go, I was running RopieeeXL fine initially before swapping to the RED OS software.
Though you'll lose access to the USB redirector setting

Jan 15, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #348 of 1,883
For installing third party software you can use any Pi4 compatible image as you normally would, just flash to the SD card and away you go, I was running RopieeeXL fine initially before swapping to the RED OS software.
Though you'll lose access to the USB redirector setting
BTW.... what is the "USB Redirector" used for ? Thks!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #349 of 1,883
BTW.... what is the "USB Redirector" used for ? Thks!
Used to configure what the USB input does when using the RED as a DDC.
Can either be set to be a USB 'reclocker'/filter to the USB A output, or set to feed the I2S/AES/SPDIF outs

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #350 of 1,883
Ok I think I may have misunderstood the RED.

I have some questions though.

1. Does RED convert/process the digital audio to audio/analog - or does it pass the process to USB-OUT, if I use a DDC on this port(USB-OUT)?

2. Can I use it as a streamer with the USB-OUT to a DAC?

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #351 of 1,883
Ok I think I may have misunderstood the RED.

I have some questions though.

1. Does RED convert/process the digital audio to audio/analog - or does it pass the process to USB-OUT, if I use a DDC on this port(USB-OUT)?

2. Can I use it as a streamer with the USB-OUT to a DAC?
1) No, it's not a DAC, it's a digital only device intended for feeding a DAC, similar to an iFi Neo Stream, Audio-GD DI20HE, Singxer SU-6 etc

2) Yes, it can be used either as a network streamer or USB DDC. (Need to reboot to change modes though).
You can use either the clean USB out or the I2S/AES/SPDIF outputs in either mode.

Jan 15, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #353 of 1,883
iFi ZEN STREAM vs RED

...if we dont compare the DDC part.

The ZS has a usb hdd input. RED does not ?

Could be nice if someone could compare the 2. I guess the RED has better options for navigations etc

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #358 of 1,883
Has anyone received one ordered through Kitsune yet? Sounds like Covid hit the Holo factory pretty hard, but some who ordered through Wildism have received theirs.
If anyone did I dont think many of them have gone out yet. Pretty sure I ordered within a few hours of it launching on their page and haven't gotten mine yet

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #360 of 1,883
That’s my expectation. Tim had said that it would be quite a while. I ordered on the first day too.
I received a text from DHL this afternoon.
Ordered on November 30th from Kitsune.
If all goes well, delivery early next week to PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back