Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 9, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #331 of 1,883
I’m interested in the Red as an HQ NAA endpoint to replace an opticalrendu so I can run DSD1024 and 1.5M PCM into my May and reduce some of the cable spaghett…. Just a bit concerned it might be a downgrade due to the in-built power supply (as compared to the Sonore LPS connected to my rendu). Has anyone had a chance to compare sound quality against the likes of Sonore and Innuous? I can’t find much on the internet so far. Most of the chat to date seems to be about getting the thing working (or its colour).
I used to own the rendu and LPS. Going from memory, the Red is much better but I'm not able to do a direct comparison.

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #332 of 1,883
@GoldenOne
After your video (Zen..) and your various tests, is there an audible difference between the ZS and the Red? or for NAA DSD256 use, it is identical. Only the Holo (like the Rpi4) makes it possible to go beyond the DSD512.
The ZS still has an old kernel which gives good results but now the software (eg networkaudiod > NAA) is getting old.

Jan 10, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #333 of 1,883
During the past few days, I listen to music through Red USB mainly. A nordost blue heaven usb cable and a nordost Tyr2 bnc cable borrowed from my friend for comparison.
It can be said that the USB output is comparatively all-round. It has the openness of AES and the sweetness sound of coaxial. I really enjoy it very much !
btw, I am using May dac.
959CA88E-C40D-4FB8-855D-96D1F5B24D06.jpeg

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #336 of 1,883
I’d also be interested in any comparisons with the Pi2Design Mercury. I’ve got a Holo Red on order but I also have a LPS which I could use with Mercury V2 instead. The Red and Mercury V2 are about the same price here. I would be using with a Rockna Wavedream.
From my understanding, Mercury V2 does not focus on USB. Their DC power supply input will split into 2 sides separately. The DDC side will have all the low noise LDOs to regulater down to the required voltages. The USB side will use higher noise SPS for the USB hub IC and thus might have higher noise at the USB ports.
The Red does not seem to use any SPS for the power USB side (from both the block diagram and the photos published)

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #337 of 1,883
I’m interested in the Red as an HQ NAA endpoint to replace an opticalrendu so I can run DSD1024 and 1.5M PCM into my May and reduce some of the cable spaghett…. Just a bit concerned it might be a downgrade due to the in-built power supply (as compared to the Sonore LPS connected to my rendu). Has anyone had a chance to compare sound quality against the likes of Sonore and Innuous? I can’t find much on the internet so far. Most of the chat to date seems to be about getting the thing working (or its colour).

The external LPS isn't inherently better. You're separating the transformer and power section, but also increasing the length of wiring dramatically so it's a trade off. If you look at the internals of the red, the top is CNC machined to completely separate the transformer from the rest of the circuitry, so it's possible that it is isolated as well as separates while having shorter wiring. Some of the best components in the world are all in one box.

Jan 11, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #338 of 1,883
How good is the (software) support from Holo? Is there any documentation about installing third-party software?
e.g. Custom DT Blob, Overlays or drivers required.
Is the TF card image available for download anywhere?

S.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #339 of 1,883
Jan 11, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #340 of 1,883
Anyone that has gotten their Red that also has the SU6 notice any differences? Hoping mine ships out soon since I ordered on the launch day, but with the way this is made I have a feeling these are put together very slowly.

Jan 14, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #342 of 1,883
From my understanding, Mercury V2 does not focus on USB. Their DC power supply input will split into 2 sides separately. The DDC side will have all the low noise LDOs to regulater down to the required voltages. The USB side will use higher noise SPS for the USB hub IC and thus might have higher noise at the USB ports.
The Red does not seem to use any SPS for the power USB side (from both the block diagram and the photos published)
HUGE feature that Mercury has - internal M.2 SSD slot.
A killer feature for me! That way, I do not need to stream my local music from NAS or anything else, just keep my music library self-contained inside the Mercury.

Jan 14, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #343 of 1,883
A bit lost in the weeds of this thread and how good this thing is, but, is this the AirPlay streamer of my dreams? Or just stick with what I've got?

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #345 of 1,883
Always on or do you turn it off with the back switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back