Holo Audio Red Streamer
Oct 20, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #1,291 of 1,977
Well, today I did some experiment. Got some theories, but what I hear would shape how I see DAC should be for years to come.

previously I use Red as streamer and USB input to the holo Audio May KTE. Which already suspect the May sounded so good with just nothing (no processing over sampling) NOS mode I started to think about how to further optimize my audio chain. then comes Gentooplayer, directta, RPI 4 base music server etc etc. but still using USB as input from Red to May.

After reading what Dandoudou did, use I2S to DAC and move streamer further away from DAC, I experiment with I2S input from Red instead of USB, which a lot of people already did this and happy with I2S. Today I did this and found out really I2S is better than USB, but not by much. Probably the implementation of USB in May is very good. What I want to experiment is again move processing out of DAC and just pure data input to DAC for conversion. with USB input, there are still some processing to convert data to something that DAC can convert to analog signal. With I2S input that make May the really absolute pure D/A convertor and indeed this make it sound better.

Next I would do further experiment, use a RPI4 as streamer end point, usb output to Red as DDC and I2S to May. this will further move processing away from DAC. Finger cross and I expect improvement as what Dandoudou mentioned, just that I did not use USB isolator.

Lastly, welcome suggest a good silver wire HDMI cable that is not so expansive.
about I2s cheep but good sounding cable: AVplay HD-300 Sterling Silver or if you can find also second hand the Gustard HDMI 2.0 OFC I2S Copper Gold Plated both under 100 Euro/Dollars

This from my experience with Gustard U18 and Holo Spring 3 KTE but the hand made cable made by friend of mine souds a bit better use the HDMI connectors of the Tubulus (one of the best I2s Cable in the market)

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #1,292 of 1,977
about I2s cheep but good sounding cable: AVplay HD-300 Sterling Silver or if you can find also second hand the Gustard HDMI 2.0 OFC I2S Copper Gold Plated both under 100 Euro/Dollars
I have both of these cables. The Gustard is better by a big margin.
I could buy from Audiophonics one of the last they had in stock.

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #1,293 of 1,977
Oct 21, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #1,294 of 1,977
Oct 21, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #1,295 of 1,977
I have both of these cables. The Gustard is better by a big margin.
I could buy from Audiophonics one of the last they had in stock.
Yes... Unfortunatelly the Gustard is out of stock... In my system the Gustard sound more "Analogical" very relaxed but a bit less extended in the high freq. then the AVplay HD-300. Nb: the HD-300 need around 100 h for the broken in, then for me sound very relaxed and dynamic and more complete then Gustard I2s cable.

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #1,296 of 1,977
Yes... Unfortunatelly the Gustard is out of stock... In my system the Gustard sound more "Analogical" very relaxed but a bit less extended in the high freq. then the AVplay HD-300. Nb: the HD-300 need around 100 h for the broken in, then for me sound very relaxed and dynamic and more complete then Gustard I2s cable.
In my system, the sound with the Gustard is fuller, and more holographic.
I borrowed the Gustard to two friends, and they compared it on their own system to their AVPlay HDMI cable. And they also preferred the sound of the cable of Gustard.
One of them compared the cables with his DI-20HE and a Denafrips Terminator. The other with a Red and a Musician Pegasus.

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,297 of 1,977
Interesting for use, but with Holo Spring3/May the DSD native is fully compatible via I2s?
I think that it is compatible.
@bodiebill2 was using his DI-20HE with a Holo Spring last year, so I think that he can confirm that it is I2S compatible both for DSD and PCM.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #1,300 of 1,977
With I2S, the clock signal is provided to the DAC by the source. Given that Holo May is already equipped with a decent clock it makes sense to check first what clock is inside the Red.
Easy, with May, just turn on PLL! it will do magic. As long as you don't switch to different sampling rate it will not relock.

Oct 22, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #1,301 of 1,977
I think that it is compatible.
@bodiebill2 was using his DI-20HE with a Holo Spring last year, so I think that he can confirm that it is I2S compatible both for DSD and PCM.

So you move from Audio GD DI-20HE to Holo Red? Could you tell us the sonic difference with the 2 (probably the best) DDC's?
Which I2s Cable?

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #1,302 of 1,977
So you move from Audio GD DI-20HE to Holo Red? Could you tell us the sonic difference with the 2 (probably the best) DDC's?
Which I2s Cable?
I did not buy the Red, because it is a better DDC than the DI-20HE. I did it, because the I2S implementation on the DI-20HE is incompatible with the I2S port of the R26 for DSD.
The DI-20HE is a more complete DDC than the Red, and I'm still using it.

EDIT
I'm switching to a new DAC with which the DI-20HE will become my main DDC again.
I will keep the Red for its versatility.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #1,303 of 1,977
Hi all,

i am interested in buying the Red, but the local dealer here in Greece claimed (yesterday at the local hifi show) that he will not be bringing units shortly because there are major problems concerning stability and lockups.

Is this true has anybody experienced similar problems or the local dealer is full of crap trying to sell other streamer

Thanks

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,304 of 1,977
Hi all,

i am interested in buying the Red, but the local dealer here in Greece claimed (yesterday at the local hifi show) that he will not be bringing units shortly because there are major problems concerning stability and lockups.

Is this true has anybody experienced similar problems or the local dealer is full of crap trying to sell other streamer

Thanks

The latter is the most obvious.
I don't read about such problems here on the forum and a few people at the audio club use the RED with HQ Player without issues.
I'm also waiting for the RED. There seems to be a problem with the supply of components or modules or such.
The RED will be delivered again as soon as these are available again.
Magna Hifi hopes to be able to deliver this year, but there is no guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back