Holo Audio Red Streamer
Oct 8, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,261 of 1,977
Thank you very much for the information -- I appreciate it.
Only wanted to try that USB cable due based on the opinion of @rsbrsvp and the cost wasn't as expensive as others.
When using an optical USB cable the source device itself won't matter as no noise can pass from it to the DAC. (This is assuming it's fully isolated. AFAIK some optical USB cables retain a ground connection so some noise can still be conducted)

The issue is that then the optical receiver or isolation device itself can be a limiting factor for noise and in many cases will not be a particularly clean source.

The cleanest device in this category I'm aware of currently is the Intona 7055-C. But generally if possible, it's better to use a very clean grounded source like the RED vs a clean ungrounded source like an Intona 7055-C or other optical cable or isolator.

Oct 8, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,262 of 1,977
When using an optical USB cable the source device itself won't matter as no noise can pass from it to the DAC. (This is assuming it's fully isolated. AFAIK some optical USB cables retain a ground connection so some noise can still be conducted)

The issue is that then the optical receiver or isolation device itself can be a limiting factor for noise and in many cases will not be a particularly clean source.

The cleanest device in this category I'm aware of currently is the Intona 7055-C. But generally if possible, it's better to use a very clean grounded source like the RED vs a clean ungrounded source like an Intona 7055-C or other optical cable or isolator.
Thank very much once again for the informative post.
I appreciate you taking the time to give such detailed explanations.

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #1,263 of 1,977
3 is not possible.

By USB redirect mode I was referring to this passage in the manual:

Use RED’s USB-OUT connection
When using RED’s USB-OUT to connect DAC or external USB DDC, please select the corresponding device in Output
Device, such as “Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2.1 Enhanced” or “Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard.”

How do you suggest I list this?
(3) USB redirect mode - OS? | in? | out?

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,264 of 1,977
1 is possible with any of the OSs that we commonly use.
So this means that, for instance with moOde as OS, when a DAC is attached to Red's USB-A output, this will appear as a selectable DAC in moOde?
Good to know. I did not try that.
5 is impossible.
I expected so much.

A corrected list will follow in due time :)

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,265 of 1,977
There's a mode 7 : A Server or a Host on the LAN for another streamer that is positioned as an endpoint
I am sure that theoretically you are right. But who would want to use it like that? Any benefits? There would only be network activity for the Red, and its isolation and DDC would remain unused. Or am I missing something?

Option 8: using the Red as a weight on top of another advice to conquer vibrations (no OS required)
Sorry, just joking... :relieved:

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,266 of 1,977
So this means that, for instance with moOde as OS, when a DAC is attached to Red's USB-A output, this will appear as a selectable DAC in moOde?
Good to know. I did not try that.

I expected so much.

A corrected list will follow in due time :)
In your list, '1' was streamer mode with input to RJ45, USB output to the DAC.
I confirm to you that it's possible with any Linux distribution that can be configured this way, and you should be able to do it with Moode as well.

I am sure that theoretically you are right. But who would want to use it like that? Any benefits? There would only be network activity for the Red, and its isolation and DDC would remain unused. Or am I missing something?
Option 7 is not theoretical. You and I won't use it, because it's not what we are seeking, but it may be useful to other people.
For instance, you can connect the Red to your DAC in the living room, play your albums from a drive attached to the Red, stream Qobuz to it from your tablet, and use it as a server for a small endpoint in the kitchen or in the bedroom…

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,267 of 1,977
Option 7 is not theoretical. You and I won't use it, because it's not what we are seeking, but it may be useful to other people.
For instance, you can connect the Red to your DAC in the living room, play your albums from a drive attached to the Red, stream Qobuz to it from your tablet, and use it as a server for a small endpoint in the kitchen or in the bedroom…
Ah I see, so that means it would be used in multiple modes, and that makes (theoretical) sense.

Oct 8, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #1,268 of 1,977
Ah I see, so that means it would be used in multiple modes, and that makes (theoretical) sense.
Actually, it's very easy to do it with Volumio.
Volumio shares the files of its library over the LAN to other endpoints, and you can log with it to Qobuz and Tidal.

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #1,269 of 1,977
By USB redirect mode I was referring to this passage in the manual:

Use RED’s USB-OUT connection
When using RED’s USB-OUT to connect DAC or external USB DDC, please select the corresponding device in Output
Device, such as “Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2.1 Enhanced” or “Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard.”

How do you suggest I list this?
(3) USB redirect mode - OS? | in? | out?
It is not possible to use Red as DDC with USB in and USB out. FSM knows I’ve tried!

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #1,270 of 1,977

Someone can get away with mutch cheaper by using an Topping HS02.

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #1,271 of 1,977
It is not possible to use Red as DDC with USB in and USB out. FSM knows I’ve tried!
Thanks. Here is a new list, also thanks to @Dandoudou :

(1) streamer mode
: (1a) streamer DDC - Red or alternate OS | RJ45 in | spdif, AES, I2S out
: (1b) streamer USB redirect - Red or alternate OS | RJ45 in | USB out
(2) pure DDC mode - no OS* | USB-B in | spdif, AES, I2S out
(3) server mode
: (3a) standalone DDC** - alternate OS | USB drive attached to USB-A | RJ45 in | spdif, AES or I2S out
: (3b) NAS server DDC - alternate OS | mounted NAS network share | RJ45 in | spdif, AES or I2S out
: (3c) NAS server USB redirect - alternate OS | mounted NAS network share | RJ45 in | USB out
: (3d) host*** - alternate OS | USB drive attached to USB-A or mounted NAS network share | RJ45 in | RJ45 out to target device

* Red OS used for setup only
** moOde, Volumio and others have been reported to work; USB drive can be populated remotely using Samba; RJ45 cable can be removed while playing
*** can be combined with (3a-c)

Corrections still welcome of course.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #1,272 of 1,977
(3a) standalone** - alternate OS | USB drive attached to USB-A | RJ45 in | spdif, AES or I2S out
** moOde and Volumio have been reported to work; USB drive can be populated remotely using Samba; RJ45 cable can be removed while playing
You can it with other OSs running Minimserver or LMS: GentooPlayer, AudioLinux, Picoreplayer…

Gentoo and AL can do all the options of mode 3.

EDIT
I'm not sure to understand to what you refer as a 'NAS server' for 3b-3c… It can be a server of audio files. (And can play files that are stored on a NAS.)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #1,274 of 1,977
I'm not sure to understand to what you refer as a 'NAS server' for 3b-3c… It can be a server of audio files. (And can play files that are stored on a NAS.)
It is similar to 3a but instead of a local (USB attached) drive the music is on a NAS. This is mounted in the player SW as a network share. There are two versions (b and c) as you can output either to I2S etc. or to USB. I made these different modes as in this case RJ45 cannot be removed due to the required connection to the NAS.

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #1,275 of 1,977
It is similar to 3a but instead of a local (USB attached) drive the music is on a NAS. This is mounted in the player SW as a network share. There are two versions (b and c) as you can output either to I2S etc. or to USB. I made these different modes as in this case RJ45 cannot be removed due to the required connection to the NAS.
You can do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back