Holo Audio Red Streamer
Oct 10, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #1,278 of 1,977
It would be an interesting exercise to use this. You can send me a private message or an email and let me know how much you were thinking of
It would need to be shipped to my address in Cape Town, South Africa
Thank you

However, if it needs 110 volts, then not to worry. We have 230VAC mains here

email: chrisc@maydaylock.co.za

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #1,281 of 1,977
Oct 14, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #1,283 of 1,977
What type of clock is installed in RED? When using with Holo May via I2S, should this clock be at least as good as Crystek 957 to be better than the USB connection?
Hopefully someone has popped the unit open and can answer this.

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #1,285 of 1,977
Well, today I did some experiment. Got some theories, but what I hear would shape how I see DAC should be for years to come.

previously I use Red as streamer and USB input to the holo Audio May KTE. Which already suspect the May sounded so good with just nothing (no processing over sampling) NOS mode I started to think about how to further optimize my audio chain. then comes Gentooplayer, directta, RPI 4 base music server etc etc. but still using USB as input from Red to May.

After reading what Dandoudou did, use I2S to DAC and move streamer further away from DAC, I experiment with I2S input from Red instead of USB, which a lot of people already did this and happy with I2S. Today I did this and found out really I2S is better than USB, but not by much. Probably the implementation of USB in May is very good. What I want to experiment is again move processing out of DAC and just pure data input to DAC for conversion. with USB input, there are still some processing to convert data to something that DAC can convert to analog signal. With I2S input that make May the really absolute pure D/A convertor and indeed this make it sound better.

Next I would do further experiment, use a RPI4 as streamer end point, usb output to Red as DDC and I2S to May. this will further move processing away from DAC. Finger cross and I expect improvement as what Dandoudou mentioned, just that I did not use USB isolator.

Lastly, welcome suggest a good silver wire HDMI cable that is not so expansive.

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #1,286 of 1,977
When comparing USB to I2S you have to take into account the quality of the cables. I know this is an extremely controversial topic, but between my Red and Spring 3, the USB cable really matters. I use Intona Premium, which I bought second hand and have compared it to around ten different cables in the past year. Intona has been the best so far, by quite a clear margin. In my setup, I2S was clearly worse than USB. I used Chord C-series cable for I2S and had Intona Premium for USB when I did the comparison.

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #1,287 of 1,977
Yes, totally agree, with Holo audio stuff, easily could tell a difference between cable. thats why I take this opportunity to ask for any good Silver HDMI cable. for USB cable I have many different type and even build my own using CU to pure Ag.

Oct 20, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #1,288 of 1,977
With I2S, the clock signal is provided to the DAC by the source. Given that Holo May is already equipped with a decent clock it makes sense to check first what clock is inside the Red.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #1,289 of 1,977
Has anyone here ever fully opened up their Red? Recently acquired a 220V model from a fellow forum member and trying to access the internal switch to change over to 110V for use in the USA.

After placing the unit upside down, removing the bottom plate and all the screws around the edges of the PCB, when attempting to pull the board up and out I’m only able to lift it a few millimeters until I encounter some resistance and can’t lift it any further.

I’m using the photos posted on KitsuneHifi’s website as a reference for what screws are removed when the PCB is free of the enclosure, but can’t figure out if I’m missing something or just trying to remove it improperly. If anyone has any pointers on opening the Red, I’d greatly appreciate some!

Oct 20, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #1,290 of 1,977
When comparing USB to I2S you have to take into account the quality of the cables. I know this is an extremely controversial topic, but between my Red and Spring 3, the USB cable really matters. I use Intona Premium, which I bought second hand and have compared it to around ten different cables in the past year. Intona has been the best so far, by quite a clear margin. In my setup, I2S was clearly worse than USB. I used Chord C-series cable for I2S and had Intona Premium for USB when I did the comparison.
In my experience Gustard 18 and Holo Spring 3 KTE it's important the I2s cable, if pure silver HDMI I2s not HDMI video cable the SQ is better than any other USB cable direct to Holo Spring3 from my PC fanless Roon Rock dedicated machine. It's also true that using a great streamer like Auralic Aries 2.1 and Top Line USB cable the U18 sound less better. So... it's complicated... My final trought is that you start with a good streamer you can go via USB but if you have a normal PC the DDC is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back