Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jul 5, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #917 of 1,301
Thanks.
So whatever version it is, i can do all upgrades from home? No need to send to the company?

The USB module's firmware can be user updated. However, the firmware for the rest of the dac can only be updated by the official distributors.

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #918 of 1,301
I agree. However, I now spend 50% of the time like this, 50% Freya+ in between. Direct May->Bliss for the top technical performace and clean sound, Freya+ for extra excitement and adventures. They are like sweet and salty: they boost each other when you switch back and forth.
hi rayon, what is your favorite hqplayer setting for sus? thanks

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #919 of 1,301
hi rayon, what is your favorite hqplayer setting for sus? thanks
The absolute truth is that the best (currently) achievable settings for May/Susvara combination are as follows:

Configuration: poly-sinc-gauss-xla | ASDM7EC-super | DSD1024 (48k DSD disabled)
Post-process: Jan Meier crossfeed (650, 13)

However, you get 95% there with a lot less horse power using:

Configuration: poly-sinc-gauss-xla | AMSDM7 512+fs | DSD1024 (48k DSD enabled)

There is some discussion also here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hqplayer-impressions-and-settings-rolling-thread.968141/

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #921 of 1,301
may i know how u set to dsd1024?. mine only can do pcm 768k. is that the dsd file or the setting u can set on hqplayer?
I'm using HQP Embedded, so I configure it through web UI, but settings should be the same. However, I'd suggest that we move on to HQP thread so we don't hijack May thread, as not everyone here use HQP and this rabbit hole is deep.
hqpsettings.png

EDIT: Also remember to tick "Auto family rate". I don't personally have that ticked nor 48k family rates as my CPU can't compute my favourite filter @ DSD1024x48. I have also limited my rate to 45158400 for the same reason. However I don't recommend disabling family rating for anyone. I have a custom setup, for a very specific use case.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #922 of 1,301
The absolute truth is that the best (currently) achievable settings for May/Susvara combination are as follows:

Configuration: poly-sinc-gauss-xla | ASDM7EC-super | DSD1024 (48k DSD disabled)

However, you get 95% there with a lot less horse power using:

Configuration: poly-sinc-gauss-xla | AMSDM7 512+fs | DSD1024 (48k DSD enabled)

There is some discussion also here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hqplayer-impressions-and-settings-rolling-thread.968141/
Good information here but you may want to approach these setting changes independent of implementing crossfeed. In my experience, making two changes can be a bit much to mentally process. Plus not everyone finds crossfeed to be the sound they're looking for.

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #923 of 1,301
I'm using HQP Embedded, so I configure it through web UI, but settings should be the same. However, I'd suggest that we move on to HQP thread so we don't hijack May thread, as not everyone here use HQP and this rabbit hole is deep.

EDIT: Also remember to tick "Auto family rate". I don't personally have that ticked nor 48k family rates as my CPU can't compute my favourite filter @ DSD1024x48. I have also limited my rate to 45158400 for the same reason. However I don't recommend disabling family rating for anyone. I have a custom setup, for a very specific use case.
thank you for sharing rayon.

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #924 of 1,301
Good information here but you may want to approach these setting changes independent of implementing crossfeed. In my experience, making two changes can be a bit much to mentally process. Plus not everyone finds crossfeed to be the sound they're looking for.
True that. However, I still recommend to at least try it. To me it makes music much more engaging with headphones. I also want to use just a touch. Too much and it changes the whole nature of the system.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #926 of 1,301
😱

How loud is computer like this while working? ASDM7EC-super at 1024... it's definitely not possible with fanless case 🤣
Dedicated 13900k with minor OC and 420mm AIO running full speed. It's in different room :)

Yes, while it's achievable, the headphone gods demand sacrifices.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #927 of 1,301
In spite of the great feedback re the USB input of my Holo May KTE, I have always been happiest with DSD512 input via i2s cable (Tubulus Concentus i2s cable).
That was until I received a Holo Red, which supports PCM1536 - so I installed 30.12 firmware on the May and started using PCM1536 (Tubulus Concentus USB cable)- WOW!

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #929 of 1,301
Hi - I have a Holo May KTE dac on order and am very excited to receive it. Do you know roughly how long it took for you to receive your order and do they send an email once it is shipped? It said about 5 weeks on their website but I hear that people usually get them earlier.

This won't be my first R2R dac. I have a dual pcm1704 dac (Lite Dac 60) from about 10 years ago which is heavily modified. It sounds better than all the other dacs I have including a Luxman D-06 and several more modern dacs based on AKM chips. I hope the May will be an upgrade to the Lite Dac.

I normally listen to music either through ripped cds, digitized DSD recordings of vinyl (which I make myself), or YouTube music through a streamer. I am also considering buying HQ player but will try Foobar2000 first. Also considering Red streamer but I am not completely sure what capability it will add since the USB implementation is already very good on the May. I may be able to connect my streamer to the Red using coax spdif and convert it to I2S.

I just purchased a set of XLR silver cables and am awaiting delivery on them. Looking forward to all these upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back