Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jan 13, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #424 of 1,244
Jan 13, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #425 of 1,244
as

I must clarify that the long list of "deficiencies" of May is only in comparison against the MSB Select II, which was also leaps and bounds above the Dave+Mscaler combo as well as the Vivaldi stack in all those areas. I felt both the Dave+MScaler and Vivaldi were very analytical in presentation and lacked connective tissue between different elements in the music. I personally value coherence and liquidity without sacrificing detail, soundstage focus or imaging precision. Again these are in the systems I auditioned (Magico A5 and Wilson XVX) so I can only speak to those.

I should also point out a large part getting the right sound out of any component is synergy and also supporting cast. For example the the May is very sensitive to both power cables and input cables. When I tried switching to the well reviewed Snakeriver Cottonmouth Signature power cord on the May, it immediately lost that realism produced by the combination spatial imaging and accurate timbre, sound became vague. Even worse when I switch in Cardas clear beyond speaker cables instead of the Silversmith Fidelium, timing information gets even more smeared and the sound gains a bit of body from sounding more vague but loses its solidity and focus altogether. Lastly if I switch out the Nordost Valhalla 2 AES cable for another AES cable, the sound loses dynamic edge and transient definition, which again erodes the realism. Audio is very much like cooking, all the ingredients need to be in the right amounts and at the end it will still need to be fit to our individual taste.

You seem to have a very sophisticated ear. I doubt I could hear some of the differences you describe. I doubt I could even articulate it.

Help me understand what you mean by descriptions like “connective tissue” and “coherence”?

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #426 of 1,244
You seem to have a very sophisticated ear. I doubt I could hear some of the differences you describe. I doubt I could even articulate it.

Help me understand what you mean by descriptions like “connective tissue” and “coherence”?
It may well be a blessing to be a "mere mortal" instead of an audiophile. To be able to be satisfied with a good system and just enjoy it. While it may well be possible to actually hear the difference between two $k+ cables, most peeps prolly could not. Happily I could not, and not losing any sleep over it either. Interesting read though.

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #428 of 1,244
Jan 13, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #429 of 1,244
My guess is its ALL speculation!
You know what they say:
”if you haven’t heard a rumour by midday, then start one”

eg there was never a new utopia introduced in 2021 that I read speculation about early 2021

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #430 of 1,244
How can you be so sure? Do you have any info?
I asked Jeff Zhu about the May 2 when I was talking to him about some of the design aspects of the May.
He said that there will be one, and he has some ideas/plans of specific things to add or improve, but it will be several years away and other products are higher on his priority list currently. (Bliss is apparently coming Q1 2022)

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #432 of 1,244
@GoldenOne knowing you have direct access to the designer, do you know which is the current (latest) fw and hw version of the May?

Thanks!
I don't have direct access to him :p
I just emailed and he answered. He's pretty enthusiastic to talk tech

I don't know what the current latest hardware version is, though the changes in hardware revisions were only to fix tiny things like a bug that caused the display to turn off if you pressed a specific combination of buttons, or one that slightly reduced locking time when using the internal OS chip. But none that have actually affected the sound/performance/features of the DAC, besides the USB card change which you can swap into your existing DAC.

Firmware there was one released a couple days ago that addressed a couple mac and linux specific things, it's on the Kitsune May page

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #434 of 1,244
I‘ve only found the latest USB firmware on the Kitsune May page but I don’t find the latest DAC firmware.
The dac firmware itself hasn't changed

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #435 of 1,244
@GoldenOne I've seen you haven't published the May measurements at your webpage. It would be great if you consider to publish them.
By the way nice page. It's very nice to have reviews with independent (and high quality) measurements :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back