Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jan 27, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #91 of 1,280
Just finished reading the review, very nice. I can imagine the review process being rather tiresome, often differences are subtle or difficult to pinpoint.

Goldenone previous posts about the May resonated with me when I was on the lookout for a Denafrips Termitor Plus initially: the May was not only less expensive, USB does not need to be 'fixed'. Very nice to see the May is coupled with the Susvara.
It can be a bit tricky with DACs especially when you're comparing multiple "Good" products.
Comparing bad stuff is a lot easier :p

I use roon which allows you to group DACs together to play simultaneously, and then an XLR switchbox. That way I can compare everything directly very easily.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #92 of 1,280
It can be a bit tricky with DACs especially when you're comparing multiple "Good" products.
Comparing bad stuff is a lot easier :p

I use roon which allows you to group DACs together to play simultaneously, and then an XLR switchbox. That way I can compare everything directly very easily.

I do exactly the same, proper volume matching is key. Grouping and syncing outputs makes comparisons so much better. With HQplayer filters I learned to switch as quickly as possible with the import settings function.

Just got a minidsp ears, just for fun: it really makes tweaking my setup a little more informative: I do not 100% trust my own hearing and know my own preferences change like the weather sometimes..

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #98 of 1,280
I have a May KTE dac on order , when it arrives I’ll post my thoughts however chatting with another owner whom owns a KTE he mentioned several changes in sound over a course of a few months , something to think about before typing anything definitive.

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #99 of 1,280
I have a May KTE dac on order , when it arrives I’ll post my thoughts however chatting with another owner whom owns a KTE he mentioned several changes in sound over a course of a few months , something to think about before typing anything definitive.

I heard the break in period is really extreme. Maybe all the non believers in break in should get a sample to settle the argument once and for all :)

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #100 of 1,280
I heard the break in period is really extreme. Maybe all the non believers in break in should get a sample to settle the argument once and for all :)
I guess it’s like a fine Scotch , the taste is more refined with age and I assume you are talking about members of the Julian Hursh fan club where some of them constantly troll certain sites with their childish ridicule of others however they seem to stay clear of certain online sites due to the fact more technical including audio industry members belong to.,..

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #101 of 1,280
I hate to repeat myself but I'm hoping this thread won't die. This audiophile lifestyle ( is it former computer audiophile?) website sounds like some geeky gibberish to me. There's another one on Audiogon as well...that's more like a regular thread.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #102 of 1,280
I wonder how it competes With a Lampizator Atlantic

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #104 of 1,280
Apr 14, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #105 of 1,280
Source is NAS > NUC with Roon > SOtM sNH-10G switch with sCLK-EX on sPS-500 PS > SOtM sMS-200Ultra Neo with sPS-500 PS > Holo Audio MAY L3 KTE DAC > Holo Audio Serene L1 Preamp (soon KTE version) > Kinki Studio EX-B7 mono power amps > Xanadu HRS80 speakers with active bass (Hypex Fusion Amps)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back