Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jun 15, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #226 of 1,325
After reading and watching the glowing reviews on the Holo May and was wondering if there'll be a noticeable "upgrade" to the sound if i added the Holo May to my Lumin T2 streamer/DAC which is feeding directly to my tube amplifier? I'm definitely not dissatisfied with the current set-up, just all in the pursuit for better sound.
Recently I've watched an episode of Thomas & Stereo which made much sense in this world of subjective audio and the pursuit for better. Sometimes, it's not about what's better out there, but whether it's better in your system. Synergy with the entire chain is sometimes lost in the pursuit of the next "best" thing.

Jun 15, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #228 of 1,325
Recently I've watched an episode of Thomas & Stereo which made much sense in this world of subjective audio and the pursuit for better. Sometimes, it's not about what's better out there, but whether it's better in your system. Synergy with the entire chain is sometimes lost in the pursuit of the next "best" thing.

Thanks, i believe that as well however how does one determine if there's synergy in the chain when there're so many options that might or might not work....i guess there's always something better which will work for various combinations in an audio chain hence the continued free fall down the bottomless rabbit hole

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #229 of 1,325
Thanks, i believe that as well however how does one determine if there's synergy in the chain when there're so many options that might or might not work....i guess there's always something better which will work for various combinations in an audio chain hence the continued free fall down the bottomless rabbit hole
Which is why I think having a dealership close by that allows home auditions or a return policy is a godsend for us dipping our toes into higher end gear. Covid unfortunately threw a huge wrench into that too

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #231 of 1,325
You will know it when you hear it , I think a large part of getting where you want to be is paying undivided attention to lowering the noise floor , this will give you a much cleaner plate to work from and as member Xtr4 mentioned a face to face relationship with a good audio dealer is highly recommended.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #232 of 1,325
You will know it when you hear it , I think a large part of getting where you want to be is paying undivided attention to lowering the noise floor , this will give you a much cleaner plate to work from and as member Xtr4 mentioned a face to face relationship with a good audio dealer is highly recommended.
Thanks, issue is that there're no local dealers in my parts (as far as I'm aware)

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #233 of 1,325
Thanks, issue is that there're no local dealers in my parts (as far as I'm aware)
Not knowing your budget a path you could take with full confidence going into building a great system with synergy is following the growing online popularity of member GoldenOne‘s very own experience .

Jun 15, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #235 of 1,325
Thanks, his review is what gave me the itch and curiosity!
Sure many in this hobby would gravitate towards not only popularity of a individual but an interesting and well spoken one at that , I like him .

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #236 of 1,325
That's a very good question, and I'm learning about audio synergy as well. Since many of us don't have the luxury of listening to gear easily, you are in the right place to learn from others experiences and observations in the forums, along with reading reviews and such. Take it all in, even when folks disagree, as you will get clues in the right direction. I agree completely that it's all about synergy or complementary gear that brings it together for you. One can easily get caught in the flavor of the month, or the next best thing as xtr4 said... Hey, if you've got the bucks and don't mind swapping gear a lot, nothing wrong with that! The only way you'll know for sure is to hear gear in your own space, in your own time. I'm just more methodical in my approach...

You may find that folks have different methods to find synergy, no one way to do it either. For me, it all starts with source, what your music comes from, a CD player, music files on a computer, streaming, whatever. Get your source as clean as possible, because everything down the line depends on it. You might be able to change the color or characteristics a bit, but if your source sucks, it will be hard to find synergy. The exception to that might be using upsampling software which can somehow magically improve source material. It can take a 16bit/44.1 file and expand it beyond what you might think possible. There's some kind of mojo going on there...

Another way to find synergy is to get clear about what sonic characteristics are most important to you, according to whatever type of music you listen to the most. Next you might find an anchor for your system, that could be a headphone or speakers for some. For me, it's the DAC. I want the source to remain as true to the music as possible, and the DAC is crucial for that. Then the things that come next will need to be complimentary to your anchor and source. There's no perfect gear, only trade offs of some kind... So one way to find synergy is by subtle opposites. Let's say your DAC is a bit bright, so you might pair it with an amp that's a bit warmer to even it out. Maybe the sound from your DAC and amp is transparent but not engaging. You might pair it with headphones that are warmer to give it a bit more life. There's only so far you can push it though, so I find it really does help to research opinions from folks who actually have the gear you are interested in, depending on your budget... This forum is a great resource.

That's what synergy is to me... I work from source>DAC>amp>driver or headphones, but one could work with any direction after source really. Any part of the chain can be balanced to find that elusive synergy. It's just a process of finding out what's most important to YOU in music presentation. That's my approach at least...

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #237 of 1,325
That's right - the DAC is really neutral.

Ear tract: iMac 2017> Roon + Tidal Hi-Fi> Holo Audio May> Balanced Beta 22> Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC.
Cable set: USB - RAL, interblock - RAL XLR, power - Sergst tops.
Acoustic triphonic: Airpulse A100 + sub Bowers & Wilkins PV1

2.jpg
Man I love this rack and how it fits with the May. Do you or anyone have a link to order it or something similar? I really don't want to get a full blown audio stand, would much prefer to get something that would fit well on my desk.

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #238 of 1,325
That's a very good question, and I'm learning about audio synergy as well. Since many of us don't have the luxury of listening to gear easily, you are in the right place to learn from others experiences and observations in the forums, along with reading reviews and such. Take it all in, even when folks disagree, as you will get clues in the right direction. I agree completely that it's all about synergy or complementary gear that brings it together for you. One can easily get caught in the flavor of the month, or the next best thing as xtr4 said... Hey, if you've got the bucks and don't mind swapping gear a lot, nothing wrong with that! The only way you'll know for sure is to hear gear in your own space, in your own time. I'm just more methodical in my approach...

You may find that folks have different methods to find synergy, no one way to do it either. For me, it all starts with source, what your music comes from, a CD player, music files on a computer, streaming, whatever. Get your source as clean as possible, because everything down the line depends on it. You might be able to change the color or characteristics a bit, but if your source sucks, it will be hard to find synergy. The exception to that might be using upsampling software which can somehow magically improve source material. It can take a 16bit/44.1 file and expand it beyond what you might think possible. There's some kind of mojo going on there...

Another way to find synergy is to get clear about what sonic characteristics are most important to you, according to whatever type of music you listen to the most. Next you might find an anchor for your system, that could be a headphone or speakers for some. For me, it's the DAC. I want the source to remain as true to the music as possible, and the DAC is crucial for that. Then the things that come next will need to be complimentary to your anchor and source. There's no perfect gear, only trade offs of some kind... So one way to find synergy is by subtle opposites. Let's say your DAC is a bit bright, so you might pair it with an amp that's a bit warmer to even it out. Maybe the sound from your DAC and amp is transparent but not engaging. You might pair it with headphones that are warmer to give it a bit more life. There's only so far you can push it though, so I find it really does help to research opinions from folks who actually have the gear you are interested in, depending on your budget... This forum is a great resource.

That's what synergy is to me... I work from source>DAC>amp>driver or headphones, but one could work with any direction after source really. Any part of the chain can be balanced to find that elusive synergy. It's just a process of finding out what's most important to YOU in music presentation. That's my approach at least...
Thanks for your thoughtful response! If only we all had endless funds to “play” with……your logic makes a lot sense and I’m probably not doing any system and sort of justice utilizing Tidal+Roon as my source

I’m very new to this hobby and i don‘t think my ears/brain have the experience to “identify” the characteristics of any particular point in the chain to try and “balance” it out with another. I think my “fickle” brain also doesn’t really know what it likes in terms of sound (I’m thinking high detail but not overpowering on the treble so it’s not fatiguing). Also I’m on the older side so my ears aren’t like what they were

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #239 of 1,325
Thanks for your thoughtful response! If only we all had endless funds to “play” with……your logic makes a lot sense and I’m probably not doing any system and sort of justice utilizing Tidal+Roon as my source

I’m very new to this hobby and i don‘t think my ears/brain have the experience to “identify” the characteristics of any particular point in the chain to try and “balance” it out with another. I think my “fickle” brain also doesn’t really know what it likes in terms of sound (I’m thinking high detail but not overpowering on the treble so it’s not fatiguing). Also I’m on the older side so my ears aren’t like what they were
chief79, you're in Singapore right? Zeppelin & Co have a great selection of equipment spanning the entire spectrum. Maybe you can try asking them for a home audition, but of course not the Holo May.

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #240 of 1,325
chief79, you're in Singapore right? Zeppelin & Co have a great selection of equipment spanning the entire spectrum. Maybe you can try asking them for a home audition, but of course not the Holo May.
yes, Zeppelin & Co is great and they have been helpful (haven't tried requesting for home auditions though). Might be a good approach!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back