Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #571 of 804
now I'm saving up for the Holo Audio BLISS, and then I'm done
at that point you'll be ready to move to the 300b mk2 or Envy :wink:

Jokes aside I do appreciate the additional perspective on the Ferrum vs Holo. I am definitely most keen on the Cyan2 but have seen some recent used listings for the Wandla and remembered many of the glowing reviews it's received. But even used it's still double the price of the Cyan2 here, so this just helps convince me to stay the course on the Cyan2 and not do anything [more] drastic.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #572 of 804
at that point you'll be ready to move to the 300b mk2 or Envy :wink:
Haha, I've thought about it a lot, but knowing myself, I'd better not.
I spent more money on tubes for both my HA-3A and my Euforia than they cost, so I won't even start with 300B tubes.

Jokes aside I do appreciate the additional perspective on the Ferrum vs Holo. I am definitely most keen on the Cyan2 but have seen some recent used listings for the Wandla and remembered many of the glowing reviews it's received. But even used it's still double the price of the Cyan2 here, so this just helps convince me to stay the course on the Cyan2 and not do anything [more] drastic.
The Wandla is not a bad DAC, but if I'm going to pay nearly $3,000 for it, the build quality has to be right, and it's not.
When I look at my Spring 3, I feel like stroking it because it's just perfectly finished - it looks and feels high quality.

It is also interesting to note that many owners who praised the device so highly have long since sold it :D

The Cyan2 is wonderful, but unfortunately I'm a very top-heavy person, always thinking: How good is the Spring 3, and so I bought the Spring 3 - that's the absolute limit of what I'm willing to spend on a DAC, and so the chapter is closed :)

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #573 of 804
Funny, I read your post in the Wandla thread, so I decided against a Spring 3 and got the Wandla instead.
I must honestly say that the build quality of the devices disappointed me, it is absolutely NOT comparable to Holo Audio, and not worth the money!
Unfortunately, the sound of the device didn't convince me either, but that's the nice thing about our hobby, everyone has their own taste :)

IMG_2190.JPG

When I sent the Wandla back, I ordered the Cyan2, and it convinced me so much that I ordered the Spring 3 KTE with Holo Red - now I'm saving up for the Holo Audio BLISS, and then I'm done :D
Very glad you found the sound you like. On this level it really comes down to preference. Built quality of Holo is hard to beat for sure. Wandla build isn't an issue for me but Holo has them beat there for sure.

I'm looking forward to compare the Cyan 2 with Wandla now. After owning Spring 3 for quite some time and hearing Wandla I realized that the NOS sound wasn't always to my preference and having to use HQPlayer for best results just got too tiresome for me with NAA glitches, playback delay etc.

The Cyan 2 on the other hand will mostly be used in my 2ch setup for dedicated listening sessions feeding a dedicated second chain I'm putting together with a tube pre and power amp. There, I can imagine, the NOS sound can be a very nice addition.

1712673920151.png

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #574 of 804
Very glad you found the sound you like. On this level it really comes down to preference. Built quality of Holo is hard to beat for sure. Wandla build isn't an issue for me but Holo has them beat there for sure.

I'm looking forward to compare the Cyan 2 with Wandla now. After owning Spring 3 for quite some time and hearing Wandla I realized that the NOS sound wasn't always to my preference and having to use HQPlayer for best results just got too tiresome for me with NAA glitches, playback delay etc.

The Cyan 2 on the other hand will mostly be used in my 2ch setup for dedicated listening sessions feeding a dedicated second chain I'm putting together with a tube pre and power amp. There, I can imagine, the NOS sound can be a very nice addition.

Thats a nice listening setup! What plant is that on the right, it’s bursting with life 🌳

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #576 of 804
When I sent the Wandla back, I ordered the Cyan2, and it convinced me so much that I ordered the Spring 3 KTE with Holo Red - now I'm saving up for the Holo Audio BLISS, and then I'm done :D
Did you sell the Cyan 2? If anyone on this thread wants to sell me theirs, I’d be all over it! That shipping from China to the US is pretty steep…

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #577 of 804
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #578 of 804
I would probably go with higher-end Holo or Rockna DACs. Or perhaps the TOTL offering from Denafrips/Musician. These are all significantly more expensive, but imho this is the next level in DACs to experience meaningful improvements (more clarity, detail, spaciousness). The Cyan 2 represents excellent sound/value for the price, perhaps the sweet spot in performance for many.
I would also like to add, that after two weeks of use the sound has opened up a bit. It is a really enjoyable DAC.
Thx, so I think this is going to be my next upgrade, I hope I'm able to tell the difference between my current DAC and the Cyan 2, and more so given that I use HQPlayer a lot and now I have it properly set up.

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #579 of 804
Also have Cyan 2 on the top of my list now for my next purchase (once I’ve recouped from the last buying spree 😅)

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #580 of 804
I have had the Cyan2 DAC now for 5 weeks and listen to it most days. The initial posts I put on this forum thread described how well it did relative to a Denafrips Pontus II. Well as time has gone on, the impression of how good a DAC the Cyan2 is has only increased. It is definately the best DAC I have ever had in my possession. The combination of great clarity, big soundstage depth, excellent dynamics and snap, great bass definition is hard to beat. It is a lively engaging DAC and I no longer listen to any of my other DAC options. My system has never sounded this good, it is as simple as that. Very happy Cyan2 customer.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #581 of 804
I have had the Cyan2 DAC now for 5 weeks and listen to it most days. The initial posts I put on this forum thread described how well it did relative to a Denafrips Pontus II. Well as time has gone on, the impression of how good a DAC the Cyan2 is has only increased. It is definately the best DAC I have ever had in my possession. The combination of great clarity, big soundstage depth, excellent dynamics and snap, great bass definition is hard to beat. It is a lively engaging DAC and I no longer listen to any of my other DAC options. My system has never sounded this good, it is as simple as that. Very happy Cyan2 customer.
With what Amp are you pairing your Cyan 2 and what headphones and music do you like to listen to?

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #582 of 804
With what Amp are you pairing your Cyan 2 and what headphones and music do you like to listen to?
I use a Denafrips Hestia/Hyperion pre/power amp combo connected over balanced XLR. I use speakers rather than headphones, a set of Wharfedale Evo 4.3 floorstanders. Music is quite varied really, classic rock, folk, some classical, increasing amounts of electronica. Favourite artist at the moment is Jesse Cook playing his individual style of rumba flamenco, world music really. Boris Blank's new electronic album Resonance is also getting attention.

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #583 of 804
Funny, I read your post in the Wandla thread, so I decided against a Spring 3 and got the Wandla instead.
I must honestly say that the build quality of the devices disappointed me, it is absolutely NOT comparable to Holo Audio, and not worth the money!
Unfortunately, the sound of the device didn't convince me either, but that's the nice thing about our hobby, everyone has their own taste :)

IMG_2190.JPG

Hi @Louisiana, question for you. Some have weighed in that DDC is not needed with Cyan2 as it's USB is galvanically isolated and overall implementation is excellent, such that IIS from a DDC may not add much if anything. Are you adding Holo Red to Spring 3 as a streamer or as a DDC. if the latter, what sonic advantage does that confer? Thanks!

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #584 of 804
I agree, that lively and engaging is a good way to describe the Cyan 2. This is partly due to the excellent dynamics and great bass definition which you also mention. I would add, that mids are not as lush as they can be on some other R2R DACs, but they still have the natural R2R texture and sound cleaner and more precise. Treble is also nice, clear but natural. There is a little energetic spark to it, but not in an unnatural way. Fun and entertaining listen indeed, just need an amp that is at least similar quality.

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #585 of 804
Hi @Louisiana, question for you. Some have weighed in that DDC is not needed with Cyan2 as it's USB is galvanically isolated and overall implementation is excellent, such that IIS from a DDC may not add much if anything. Are you adding Holo Red to Spring 3 as a streamer or as a DDC. if the latter, what sonic advantage does that confer? Thanks!

Hi,
i use the Red only as streamer.
I've tested all I2s and SPDIF, and USB has the best quality for my taste - no DDC needed, which is why I'm selling my U18 :)

I'm currently using the Red with Jussi's NAA OS, and the sound is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back