Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Feb 17, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #287 of 882
I'm coming from a Holo Spring: my i2s blew out do to a kitten dislodging the HDMI while powered on...the i2s is the most desirable input to me...is anyone using a DDC to the i2s on the Cyan? And, if so, what is your impression? I am using the Hydra z as my DDC...
Haven't gave it any thought to use the HDMI IS2. I just dont want to miss out on the clean jitter free usb module they build in. I also don't have a good HDMI is2 cable on hand right now.

Feb 17, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #288 of 882
IS2+DDC+clock is solving a problem which would not exists when using USB in the first place (with a DAC like the Cyan 2 with a clean isolated USB).

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #290 of 882
I found my Springs USB to be rather dark and lifeless sounding, and am life boating with the AES input at the moment.
good to know, later the day, i will try I2s and SPDIF, and also order a AES cable, just out of curiosity :D

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #291 of 882
I'm coming from a Holo Spring: my i2s blew out do to a kitten dislodging the HDMI while powered on...the i2s is the most desirable input to me...is anyone using a DDC to the i2s on the Cyan? And, if so, what is your impression? I am using the Hydra z as my DDC...
Sorry for your loss.

I did not find a real meaningful difference when using i2S vs USB, personally. I used a Singxer SU-1. Felt I was limited more by the Singxers DSD256 cap than the DACs USB (that supports DSD1024 and is clean)

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #292 of 882
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #293 of 882
Sorry for your loss.

I did not find a real meaningful difference when using i2S vs USB, personally. I used a Singxer SU-1. Felt I was limited more by the Singxers DSD256 cap than the DACs USB (that supports DSD1024 and is clean)
I found the Singxer unit I had to be 'thinner' sounding than the Hydra, though that may be a good thing depending on ones components.

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #294 of 882
Sorry for your loss.

Singxer firmware update was supposed to bring it up to DSD512-capable, IIRC, but I've been unable to go above DSD256 either in my setup.

Feb 17, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #295 of 882
Feb 17, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #296 of 882
IS2+DDC+clock is solving a problem which would not exists when using USB in the first place (with a DAC like the Cyan 2 with a clean isolated USB).
Yeah, I was thinking of getting a Holo Red to pair with my Cyan 2 but when the USB is so good, it seemed a waste of $800.

Speaking of, does anyone know what USB module the Cyan 2 has? It's not the top of the line Titanis module, right? Anyone know if we can swap a Titanis in?

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #297 of 882
Question for Holo Audio owners - Is Kitsune Hi-Fi the only official distributor of Holo components? Are there any distributors in the USA?

I ask because I'm interested in purchasing a Holo Spring 3 KTE DAC with the optional Pre-Amp.

Kitsune wants $3,700 ($3698) for the unit, but the kicker is they also charge $180 shipping.

Thanks.

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #298 of 882
The I2S on the Spring sounds much more detailed and open then the USB it is equipped with. I didn't notice any noise or the like with the USB, but it was literally night and day regarding detail and presence. I am sure the USB implementation on my unit is not the fancy one others have experience with. I guess I will either just stick with what I have or find a used/save for new Spring w/working I2S...

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #299 of 882
Yeah, I was thinking of getting a Holo Red to pair with my Cyan 2 but when the USB is so good, it seemed a waste of $800.

Speaking of, does anyone know what USB module the Cyan 2 has? It's not the top of the line Titanis module, right? Anyone know if we can swap a Titanis in?
The combination Red + Cyan 2 might make sense when one wants to use different inputs in parallel. The automatic input switch of the Cyan 2 seems a bit buggy or if it is not buggy it is quite inconvinient.

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #300 of 882
The combination Red + Cyan 2 might make sense when one wants to use different inputs in parallel. The automatic input switch of the Cyan 2 seems a bit buggy or if it is not buggy it is quite inconvinient.
I read somewhere that the Cyan 2 just uses the input which is active. If two inputs are active, it prioritises USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back